What kind of world phone?

barante

Where are you going? We didn't have much luck with ordering one in the States for use there. Wasted time finding a store to activate it.

Now we use old quad band phones. Can purchase them from a used phone store. Several years ago I bought a Samsung. DD uses one of our unlocked iPhones.

Once in Europe we buy a SIM card and buy the minute/internet cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

Also, who is your regular carrier now? What type of phone do you have now?What is your expected use type and frequency? (and the follow along is of course what would that usage cost you on your current carrier?)

Here's a little tutorial on using international SIM cards, but in our case, it was cheaper to just use the international plan with our home carrier.

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/phones-tech/cell-phone-europe

I just use my regular phone - add international plan and all set.

We traveled Europe Spring of 2013 for 30 days Spain, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Hungary, Czech Rep., Austria and Italy. I had my phone on 24/7 with data. Every time we stepped outside I had Google Maps up - hit the track me button and we used the map. I researched train info, restaurants, hotels, sights, history, what ever on the internet. I sent & checked email. I loved the convenience & ease of it. I made a few phone calls and sent & received some texts. In all my phone bill went up $239 for the 30 day period - not bad at all I thought. No nightmare surprise bills here. If I can afford 30 days in Europe $239 is a small price to pay. I am with Verizon and we had coverage everywhere we went - I did have to call them when we landed in Barcelona as I had no service - my luck they were having an issue there but once I put in the trouble ticket it was corrected within an hour. Google voice over the wifi was a great back up to make that call.

Rather than messing with changing Sims, roaming on a European SIM and figuring out those rates I used Google Voice when we had a wifi connection and just called on my US phone if we didn't. For the few instances wifi was not available the charges were pretty small on my phone bill and it sure was a lot more convenient. Using your Spain SIM in Italy will be roaming plus you are calling distance - I can call with my Verizon phone from Italy to Athens for $1.49/minute - that's $3 for a two minute call plus I can get support in English. For me I did not find that a local SIM and and buying minutes you may not use were really a big enough savings. YMMV

Yes, we will be on the HAL Rotterdam July 2 sailing from Rotterdam to Boston.

I guess I will go with Mobal since my regular phone is a pay-as-you-go Tracfone.

Thanks to everyone.

Yes, we will be on the HAL Rotterdam July 2 sailing from Rotterdam to Boston.

I guess I will go with Mobal since my regular phone is a pay-as-you-go Tracfone.

Thanks to everyone.

barante

I am the OP of the thread you provided on the Mobal phone. You probably read about our experiences. I too have a tracphone at home, so of course we don't have the T-Mobile (or any other carrier) international plan available. I am satisfied with the Mobal phone. And we just got an email that they will now provide data connections in Cuba for $5 per MB (vs the $22 it was)!! Won't help you but it is good to know they keep up with rate changes, mostly lower (although calls from Bermuda or someplace like that are going up a bit).

If you decide to get a Mobal phone, could you use me as a referral? We would both get a credit for doing this. All you need to do is send me your name and email address and I can send it in. You would get a $5 credit. You will get a link to use to purchase the phone and then see a credit in your account.

My email is no-whiners at msn dot com, sub symbols for the at and dot.

good luck and thanks

Mary Lynn

I agree with Mobal. Check out this thread. I plan on getting one.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2322097&highlight=mobal

Hi Deb

If you decide to get a Mobal phone, will you allow me to use you as a referral? If so, we can both get credit to our accounts. Just send me your name at my email and I can put you in, then you will get a link to use to order the phone. the $5 credit will show up in your account once you register and set it up.

If you already ordered, no worries!

Thx

ML

no-whiners at msn dot com, sub in the symbols for at and dot, no spaces.