Bonaire Vs. Grenada

Hello, I am looking at a few different sailings of the Celebrity Eclipse this coming winter. Within the 3-5 sailings I am considering, the itinerary is similar. However, a few include Grenada as a port of call, and the remaining; Bonaire. This will be my honeymoon cruise and I am trying to make an informed decision about the pros and cons of each location. Anyone traveled to either place that can make a comment about anything that might influence our time there? Either negative or positive, or If you are lucky enough to have been to both a compare/contrast argument would be helpful. I understand what might be turn offs for some might be exactly what other's are looking for, so just overall facts or opinions would be the most helpful. (IE, Tourist Friendly, Climate, Beaches, Safety, Peddlers, Crowded?)

Thank You in advance!!:D

Sarah

Unless you're into snorkelling Bonaire is rather limited.

The spice island of Grenada would be much more scenic, much more interesting.

A taxi tour, hired at the port, up into the rainforest, check out the spices, mebbe a waterfall, & get dropped for the afternoon at

- Grand Anse beach. All the toys, drinks service on the beach, but mostly quite crowded. Then water taxi (about $6) back to the ship.

- or a quieter beach (Morne Rouge beach or Parc a Boeuf beach) just a little further, and arrange for the driver to return for you at an agreed time.

Just MHO as always. ;)

JB :)

But if you want to snorkel or dive, Bonaire is terrific. There is a small island called Kleine Bonaire, (Little Bonaire) that is a great spot. I'm not sure but there may be an excursion there, depending on your ship. Also, lots of divers go there for trips of several days, so you know there is lots of see. Not a fancy place but actually some good shops.

Your choice totally depends on what YOU like to do. Kleine Bonaire is the best snorkeling we have ever done. Grenada was just ok for us. But that's us.....we walked around there went to the fort, but have no desire to return. Sometimes just looking at the shore excursions that are available by the ship, whether you choose to go on them or not, will give you a bit of the flavor of the island and what it's known for. That may give you an idea as to whether you will enjoy it.

Hello, I am looking at a few different sailings of the Celebrity Eclipse this coming winter. Within the 3-5 sailings I am considering, the itinerary is similar. However, a few include Grenada as a port of call, and the remaining; Bonaire. This will be my honeymoon cruise and I am trying to make an informed decision about the pros and cons of each location. Anyone traveled to either place that can make a comment about anything that might influence our time there? Either negative or positive, or If you are lucky enough to have been to both a compare/contrast argument would be helpful. I understand what might be turn offs for some might be exactly what other's are looking for, so just overall facts or opinions would be the most helpful. (IE, Tourist Friendly, Climate, Beaches, Safety, Peddlers, Crowded?)

Thank You in advance!!:D

Sarah

Dear Sarah

We have been to both on a cruise.

Bonaire is lovely but there is not a lot to do (diving has been mentioned is apparently good), you can also take tours around the Island ending at the salt flats in the south of the Island.

Grenada has a nice fort within walking distance from the port with lovely views.

We very rarely have lunch in town if on a cruise, however, in Grenada we were told to try BBs Crabback restaurant, from the port it is on the other side of the fort and takes about 20 minutes to walk to.

BBs is one of the best meals I have ever had and the atmosphere is superb, it is the favourite restaurant in the Caribbean of Mick Jagger and Oprah (pictures all over the place).

The bill is a bit scary when it comes as it is in Caribbean dollars, but translates quite acceptably to US dollars.

Whatever you choose, have a great time.

Mike

We were just in both places this past March and will be returning to both next year on the same itinerary. If you are a snorkeler or diver Bonaire is known worldwide for it. But Grenada has the Underwater Sculpture Park which is pretty epic as well! :cool:

This year we did an island tour of Bonaire and snorkeled the sculpture park in Grenada. Next year we're snorkeling at Klein Bonaire in Bonaire and doing an island tour in Grenada.

I loved them both, but I think I would perhaps choose Grenada if forced to pick one. :o

We've been to Grenada & Bonaire several times over the years and they are both great places to have port stops.

Bonaire is in the DEEP Caribbean (one of the ABC islands) and has FANTASTIC snorkeling!!! It would be our pick!

Tourist Friendly: Both

Climate: Both

Beaches: Grenada is sandier. Once in the water no water shoes are needed in Grenada but not very good snorkeling. Pretty beaches but rocky ocean floor in Bonaire but excellent snorkeling.

Safety: Both

Peddlers: Way less in Bonaire

Crowded: Grenada isn't overly crowded ... but Bonaire less so

Sarah, look forward to having a wonderful honeymoon cruise on whichever you pick! :)

LuLu

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I got married on Bonaire, we love this Island!

Also the best for snorkeling and diving!

The north of Bonaire is gorgeous, nice to take a tour there.

For snorkeling I would take the watertaxi that is in the middle of town, only a few minutes walk from the ship. buy your ticket on board of the watertaxi, it's a lot cheaper than buying aboard the cruiseship.

Here's a pic of our time spent on bonaire at our wedding..

photo.php?fbid=803059813085769&set=a.803059549752462.1073741828.100001452739027&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-xpf1%2Fv%2Ft1.0-9%2F10672287_803059813085769_3384505768817992507_n.jpg%3Foh%3D9a80777d9674dbbd636ca5c03a921a57%26oe%3D54C96BF4%26__gda__%3D1418025630_f36e32d69ccb5ed57f3cf74ad7914489&size=960%2C640

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=803061329752284&set=a.803059549752462.1073741828.100001452739027&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-xaf1%2Fv%2Ft1.0-9%2F10698496_803061329752284_7717867761166473756_n.jpg%3Foh%3De99542c83aa0c35f39157166911b5d45%26oe%3D5489A681%26__gda__%3D1422735408_feab0cb75872fc7ebde6f6f1b313acdd&size=960%2C640

happy cruising!

Edited by Lovetocruisethecarribean

Hi,

We love Bonaire, we got married there!

It is a beautiful island and very romantic... ;-)

The north is just gorgeous for a tour, the south is more flat and sort of empty.

the diving is great but i am more a snorkeling fan, the reef at klein bonaire is beautiful! just take the watertaxi in the middle of town, only a few minutes walk from the ship, buy your ticket on the watertaxi (a lot cheaper than at the cruiseship!)

here's a pic of our wedding...

10672287_803059813085769_3384505768817992507_n.jpg?oh=9a80777d9674dbbd636ca5c03a921a57&oe=54C96BF4&__gda__=1418025630_f36e32d69ccb5ed57f3cf74ad7914489

10698496_803061329752284_7717867761166473756_n.jpg?oh=e99542c83aa0c35f39157166911b5d45&oe=5489A681&__gda__=1422735408_feab0cb75872fc7ebde6f6f1b313acdd

Edited by Lovetocruisethecarribean
pic didn't show

We've been to both islands twice. I like them both; Bonaire definitely better for snorkeling, Grenada for spectacular beauty. If I had to choose I'd pick Grenada; in fact we will be there in Dec. on the Eclipse, again. We took an island tour the first time, just walked to the harbor, around town and to the port last time, will probably do the underwater sculpture park this time.

On Bonaire we just walked up the coast until we found a seaside restaurant, which was in a resort; there was small beach by a pier where I snorkeled from the shore--pretty good snorkeling for such an easy spot to get in the water. We actually did that both times we were in Bonaire, plus more walking up and down the beachside road.

We also have been to both and Grenada while picturesque and interesting does have a rough edge to it....particularly St. George's. Bonarie IMO is equally picturesque, is of course terrific for diving and snorkeling, perhaps is a little less commercial but lacks that rough edge. I would choose Bonaire if I could only visit one.

We've been to both islands twice. I like them both; Bonaire definitely better for snorkeling, Grenada for spectacular beauty. If I had to choose I'd pick Grenada; in fact we will be there in Dec. on the Eclipse, again. We took an island tour the first time, just walked to the harbor, around town and to the port last time, will probably do the underwater sculpture park this time.

On Bonaire we just walked up the coast until we found a seaside restaurant, which was in a resort; there was small beach by a pier where I snorkeled from the shore--pretty good snorkeling for such an easy spot to get in the water. We actually did that both times we were in Bonaire, plus more walking up and down the beachside road.

I meant we walked to the Fort! Which is close to the port. I do agree that Grenada is a little 'rougher' or maybe more authentic and less commercialized than Bonaire. More of a nature island. However, I have not toured around the island of Bonaire and I'm sure it has some nice scenery too.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser