Dollar store cruise aids

Alaskanb

I thought it might be useful to develop a list of "finds" in "dollar" stores that have been useful on cruises. Here are a few from Dollar Tree to get started:

Over door shoe hanger

8.5 x 11" collapsible box for all the papers that accumulate

Smaller size collapsible cube to keep bits and pieces together

Zip-lock bags

I thought it might be useful to develop a list of "finds" in "dollar" stores that have been useful on cruises. Here are a few from Dollar Tree to get started:

Over door shoe hanger

8.5 x 11" collapsible box for all the papers that accumulate

Smaller size collapsible cube to keep bits and pieces together

Zip-lock bags

Good info. I see lists like this on here from time to time, but honestly, the only thing I've never taken and found that I needed from the above list is the zip-lock bags. I'm curious to know what the box for all the papers is for though? I can't imagine packing a collapsible box and cube for one week?;)

Good info. I see lists like this on here from time to time, but honestly, the only thing I've never taken and found that I needed from the above list is the zip-lock bags. I'm curious to know what the box for all the papers is for though? I can't imagine packing a collapsible box and cube for one week?;)

We were inundated with Patters, ads, announcements etc that seemed to get out of hand after a while. I just like a place to keep that kind of stuff--same with electronic chargers, tv controllers etc. The boxes pack flat and weigh a few ounces.

We were inundated with Patters, ads, announcements etc that seemed to get out of hand after a while. I just like a place to keep that kind of stuff--same with electronic chargers, tv controllers etc. The boxes pack flat and weigh a few ounces.

Gotcha.....:)

That is a very good idea.

If we fly, this is what we do in every port for two reasons...weight limit and 3ounce liquid limit....so we ALWAYS go to the dollar store in the port in which we are cruising. Here is my list. I just put a cloth like, fold up bag in my suit case to carry this stuff.

shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, mouthwash, bathroom spray, shaving cream, deodorant, aloe, aspirin/advil, sunblock, lotion, and hair spray.

These are our 12 products that we always pick up. Please note, that if you forget anything.....the sundries shop on the ship is soooo expensive. I paid $12 for a small bottle of Advil.

- clothes pegs

- plastic shower curtain liner

Many of us know how, umm, intimate the shower curtain can get with us on a cruise ship. ;) Both of these come in handy if you sail on a ship which does not have shower doors, but has a shower curtain. You hang the new curtain inside the existing one, secure it on all sides and the bottom to weight it down, and you have a hygienic shower curtain for your cruise. :)

If we fly, this is what we do in every port for two reasons...weight limit and 3ounce liquid limit....so we ALWAYS go to the dollar store in the port in which we are cruising. Here is my list. I just put a cloth like, fold up bag in my suit case to carry this stuff.

shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, mouthwash, bathroom spray, shaving cream, deodorant, aloe, aspirin/advil, sunblock, lotion, and hair spray.

These are our 12 products that we always pick up. Please note, that if you forget anything.....the sundries shop on the ship is soooo expensive. I paid $12 for a small bottle of Advil.

You guys must do carry-ons only.....

I should have added that the paper size box is only about 4" deep--like a letter tray--and the cube is about 8x8.

I should have added that the paper size box is only about 4" deep--like a letter tray--and the cube is about 8x8.

I have a 3-prong folder that I put everything in. Last year when we getting ready for Oasis, I had so many reservations for shows, dinners, excursions, etc. I used tabs and labeled them by day and then put each paper behind the appropriate tab for the labeled days. It was soooooooo easy finding what I needed each day.

I have a 3-prong folder that I put everything in. Last year when we getting ready for Oasis, I had so many reservations for shows, dinners, excursions, etc. I used tabs and labeled them by day and then put each paper behind the appropriate tab for the labeled days. It was soooooooo easy finding what I needed each day.

I do a similar thing too--it was all the ship-generated papers that I found difficult to wrangle!

Down below, there is a section called "Saving money for your cruise - tips and advice". You may want to check it out.

Thanks--I kept seeing references to dollar stores and thought it may be helpful to have in one location:)

I find needed papers sit flat nice on desk or coffee table. Papers I want to keep for souvenir basis go into the suitcase pending final packing. However, many of the fliers and stuff gets trashed.

Dollar store is good for 'junk' to decorate the door. Well, I also found some stuff to give away at next meet n greet but that would be telling. :-)

- clothes pegs

- plastic shower curtain liner

Many of us know how, umm, intimate the shower curtain can get with us on a cruise ship. ;) Both of these come in handy if you sail on a ship which does not have shower doors, but has a shower curtain. You hang the new curtain inside the existing one, secure it on all sides and the bottom to weight it down, and you have a hygienic shower curtain for your cruise. :)

On our first cruise, the shower curtain smelled like urine. Understandable since it was inches away from the toilet. I spoke to our room steward and he replaced it! Just like that. I was only asking him to do an extra clean job on it. Replacing only took a few moments and was done.

I have to laugh about some of these organization ideas. My husband and friends tease me about being too organized! I love the cube idea. I bring along a thin 3 ring binder for my papers.

I bring a large manilla envelope for keeping the patters, the rest of the papers go into the circular file, aka trash bin! I think the ship recycles paper. We use an over the door shoe hanger for charging cords, sun screen, glasses cases, pens/pencils/highlighter, playing cards, etc. It goes on the outside of the bathroom door (closet side). When we leave I fold it up until the next cruise. Since we use it frequently (land trips too), I bought a higher quality from Target. It was a whopping $8.00! ;)

Each cabin is supplied with a container for keeping bits of paper together. It's called a "trash can".:rolleyes::D

Since shelf space is limited (or non-existent) in the shower, I got a mesh shower caddy for $2.00 at Dollar General. It has six pockets. Works out great for my and DW's shampoo, hair conditioner, and liquid bath soap bottles. The dollar stores are also a great place to look for (novelty) cruise related luggage tags (flip-flops, palm tree, parrot, etc.), which are also a handy way to distinguish your luggage from all of the others that are the same color (especially black luggage).:)

We found a great place for all that stuff. It is round and the Cabin Steward empties it every day.

LOL! I feel better now knowing I'm not the only one who doesn't keep everything.:D

On our first cruise--and this is a first-time cruisers thread-- we kept most papers until the end of the cruise and then trashed what we did not want. I just like places to keep stuff rounded up :)

Archived