Costa Maya ???

GranysT

My cruise if finally coming up in one week, on Pride. I am starting to get a bit confused with the ports.

Is Costa Maya the one that has the chair lift?

If it is, it takes you to the beach, right?

Does anyone know if that beach, offers a massage on the beach, and how much do they charge? Does the beach have chairs and umbrella's, or shade of some sort? Thanks in advance

Costa Maya is in Mexico. You're thinking of Mahogany Bay (Roatan, Honduras.)

Yes there is shade under the palms and I believe there is a massage station. No idea of the cost.

In Costa Maya there is a large shopping area at the port. We always go the the little village of Majahual -- about a 10 minute cab ride ($3pp going and $2pp returning.)

Lots of shops, nice beach and inexpensive drinks and food.

My cruise if finally coming up in one week, on Pride. I am starting to get a bit confused with the ports.

Is Costa Maya the one that has the chair lift?

If it is, it takes you to the beach, right?

Does anyone know if that beach, offers a massage on the beach, and how much do they charge? Does the beach have chairs and umbrella's, or shade of some sort? Thanks in advance

No chair lift that I remember in Costa Maya, but you might be thinking of Mahogany bay in Roatan. There is a beach near Costa Maya in a town called Mayajual sp? There are several places with beach chairs and umbrellas, but I only know this from other cruiser reviews. The beach excursion I took was through the cruise line, and I have no idea what that beach was called. But I see some really nice reviews about places in Mayajual, and a place called Alpamena? again my spelling is surely wrong.

Best to go check out the ports of call board, there will be lots of info there.:)

Costa Maya has a VERY,VERY long pier. There are ferry buses you can ride for a tip. There is a dolphin (tiny) pool where you can pay to ride them.

Only liquor to buy the last time in that port shopping area was Tequila.

The beach chair ride in Mahogany Bay is $12 -- it's a short walk to the beach through some mangroves.

Costa Maya has a VERY,VERY long pier. There are ferry buses you can ride for a tip. There is a dolphin (tiny) pool where you can pay to ride them.

Only liquor to buy the last time in that port shopping area was Tequila

I didn't think it was a VERY, VERY long pier. There is a tram that runs back and forth.

Saw way more than just Tequila in the shops -- vodka, gin, Scotch, whiskey, cordials, etc.

Costa Maya has the short trip to the Mayan Ruins at Chacchoben

https://www.chacchobenruins.com/

Excellent with those who don't want to do an all day affair in Belize or Coz, not to big and plenty of shade. Top notch with smaller ones or older seasoned folks.

I did that tour a few years ago, and loved it. While Mayan Ruins are not my preferred tour, I was with my parents and they both wanted to go sooooo bad, so of course I went along. I was surprised that I enjoyed it so much. As you say plenty of shade, but there was no keeping my mother off one of the ruins, and our tour bus driver had to go up and rescue her, when she could not get back down with her bum knee:cool:

I recommend the tour though, or any beach excursion, the one beach excursion I did was wonderful! I just cant remember the name of the beach, but it was not far from Costa Maya port.

Only liquor to buy the last time in that port shopping area was Tequila.

The beach chair ride in Mahogany Bay is $12 -- it's a short walk to the beach through some mangroves.

I believe you may be thinking about Progresso. Costa Maya has a relatively short pier and no busses.

Costa Maya has a nice port area with a pool and a swim up bar, a few shops , and a couple places to eat. I suggust you take a taxi to Majaual. Great beaches and restaurants/bars.

Edited by Rena921

Costa Maya has the short trip to the Mayan Ruins at Chacchoben

https://www.chacchobenruins.com/

Excellent with those who don't want to do an all day affair in Belize or Coz, not to big and plenty of shade. Top notch with smaller ones or older seasoned folks.

Our family LOVED Chacchoben Ruins!! Our guide was so proud of his heritage!! It is a ruins in the middle of treed forest with leaves as big as a person. LOVED it!

We had time to eat at the pie and swim in their swim up bar!! The people there were so nice!!!!

I highly recommend looking up Steve's Tropicante in Costa Maya. Wonderful experience there. You can email him to reserve lounge chairs and/or a table if it is available for your date. Beautiful beach and $30 massages on the beach. Simply delightful.

If you go to Chacchoben Ruins, take lots of bug spray. We went there on a cruise several years ago. It is in the middle of the jungle and only partially excavated. People were being eaten alive, but we had sprayed our entire bodies down with Deep Woods Off before heading in and we were not bothered at all. Everyone else was constantly swatting the mosquitoes. People were walking out with bug bites all over their legs. Wear long pants, not shorts.

Edited by dioxide45

Just got back from Costa Maya. Yes there are massages on the beach in the port area. We didn't go to town this time but on a previous cruise wife and her bff got massages on the beach there for around $30. I don't know what they cost now or in the port. Once you get to the beach in town there are plenty of promoters to choose from to set you up with chairs and umbrellas and anything else you need for reasonable prices.

The pier is not much longer than the Cozumel pier, but there is a tram you can ride for tips. We walked both ways.

If you go to Chacchoben Ruins, take lots of bug spray. We went there on a cruise several years ago. It is in the middle of the jungle and only partially excavated. People were being eaten alive, but we had sprayed our entire bodies down with Deep Woods Off before heading in and we were not bothered at all. Everyone else was constantly swatting the mosquitoes. People were walking out with bug bites all over their legs. Wear long pants, not shorts.

We went in early December and there were no bugs to speak of, so time pof year I suppose.

In Costa Maya I would recommend Tropicante for the day. Steve is the owner and his website is sandalsandskis.com. You can make a reservation in advance and it's free but it is requested that you purchase some food/drinks there. It is right on the beach and you get loungers and an umbrella. There are tables to eat at. If you're into geocaching, there is one at his place.

I highly recommend looking up Steve's Tropicante in Costa Maya. Wonderful experience there. You can email him to reserve lounge chairs and/or a table if it is available for your date. Beautiful beach and $30 massages on the beach. Simply delightful.

This guy has a great set up.

Also Fernando's, he makes good tequila $16 liter.

Tropicante is wonderful, beware the appetizers can feed 2-3 people. If you don't want to go somewhere, they have a huge pool and lots of loungers free at the port. There is also a area where they train the dolphins and you can swim with them. Plenty of lounge chairs to sit and watch

At Mahogany Bay the chair lift chairs are now $14 unlimited rides to the free beach. The wi fi is now $5 for a hour:)

• 3 weeks later...

We are doing the NaTive Choice in Costa Maya. Do you know if it is easy to get the tram that takes you into town? do you just tip in US money. Even if it is in the 80's should we wear long pants? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. We are going in 3 weeks. Iris