Neptune Lounge

jjs217

Just booked a Neptune Suite for the first time. What exactly are the "refreshments" and "beverages" served in the Neptune Lounge? What does the Neptune Lounge breakfast consist of? I couldn't find any details on the HAL website. Also, if my husband and I want a pot of coffee for two in the morning, do you call regular room service, or does the concierge take care of those kinds of requests? Thank you in advance.

Just booked a Neptune Suite for the first time. What exactly are the "refreshments" and "beverages" served in the Neptune Lounge? What does the Neptune Lounge breakfast consist of? I couldn't find any details on the HAL website. Also, if my husband and I want a pot of coffee for two in the morning, do you call regular room service, or does the concierge take care of those kinds of requests? Thank you in advance.

For a pot of coffee first thing in the morning, just put out your breakfast card for the time you want it and it will be delivered to you. During the day, I just call room service.

Refreshments in the Neptune Lounge are different depending upon the time of day. In the morning there's stuff for continental breakfast, like that yummy yogurt thing with muiseli (sp?), smoked salmon and fixings, fruits, cereals, bagels, muffins, etc.

At around 11:00 a.m. it switches to lunch types of munchies with little mini sandwiches, desserts, fruits, etc.

Then around 3:00 (forgive me if I am off on my times) or so, it switches to evening cocktail type things with stuff like olives, cheeses, hors d'hoeuvres, plus those yummy chocolates on the side.

The drinks in the morning are fresh squeezed oj, water and cranberry juice usually.

In the afternoon, there is water and iced tea and I forget what else.

The coffee machine is always there along with a lovely selection of teas.

The concierge will take care of just about anything you need - cashing Travellers Cheques, your onboard account statement, booking specialty dining, shore excursions, etc.

hope this helps a bit.

Neptune and Pinnacle Suite guests may have breakfast in Pinnacle Grille on most of the ships. (The "R" Class ships have alternative location in MDR.) The same extensive breakfast menu is served in Pinnacle as well as the whole of MDR.

Is there a suggestion as to the amount of gratuity to the concierge?

tipping is a very personal thing. First of all, it is NOT a requirement to tip the concierge just as it is not a requirement to tip the front desk or any other staff as long as you leave the HSC in place.

That being said, we normally do. It depends upon how much we ask the concierge to do and/or how good the concierge is.

I don't think there is a normal rule of thumb.

tipping is a very personal thing. First of all, it is NOT a requirement to tip the concierge just as it is not a requirement to tip the front desk or any other staff as long as you leave the HSC in place.

That being said, we normally do. It depends upon how much we ask the concierge to do and/or how good the concierge is.

I don't think there is a normal rule of thumb.

Thank you Jacquie. The last time (actually the only time) we had a concierge was on a Princess cruise back in the 90's. I just thought it was something you do; just like tipping room service. Then again, lots of people don't do that at all.

Thank you Jacquie. The last time (actually the only time) we had a concierge was on a Princess cruise back in the 90's. I just thought it was something you do; just like tipping room service. Then again, lots of people don't do that at all.

Exactly :D It's very personal and for many that do, very much dependent upon how much you used them.

Is there a suggestion as to the amount of gratuity to the concierge?

Here is a good concierge tipping discussion. Yes, it is on the RCL board, it does provide some insight. Keep in mind the perks are different on RCL. If in a suite on RCL there is free booze every night in Concierge lounge.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2008974

Here is a good concierge tipping discussion. Yes, it is on the RCL board, it does provide some insight. Keep in mind the perks are different on RCL. If in a suite on RCL there is free booze every night in Concierge lounge.

I believe the OP stated she is sailing on HAL not NCL. I don't understand why you would mention tipping on NCL and their guidelines for tipping. It has absolutely nothing to do with the original question.

Diane

Thanks for that link. Interesting info!

I believe the OP stated she is sailing on HAL not NCL. I don't understand why you would mention tipping on NCL and their guidelines for tipping. It has absolutely nothing to do with the original question.

Diane

Post 7 in this thread specifically asks regarding tipping concierges. IMHO the discussion on the Royal Carib forum is informative, and could be applied to HAL too. Of course, as mentioned, that is just my humble opinion. :)

Diane

I think the tipping topic applies throughout the cruising industry, to be honest so the link is good info. But this thread drifted - the OP didn't ask about tipping.

Hey, did I open Pandora's box? I need no info about tipping; auto always left in place. We've done 118 cruises thus far. I only wanted info regarding Concierge tipping on HAL. But I will read the RCI info. Thanks

There are always two concierges. One main one and another who more or less relieves the other. We always tip both unless (rarely) we find one less than what we would have expected in terms of assistance etc

We tip the last day of each cruise by envelope and a sincere thank you. The amount we tip depends upon how much assistance we sought and received and all those little variables such as little touches the concierges have done for us.

We always leave hotel service charge in place and can't remember ever leaving a ship without tipping at least one and almost always both.

Hey, did I open Pandora's box? I need no info about tipping; auto always left in place. We've done 118 cruises thus far. I only wanted info regarding Concierge tipping on HAL. But I will read the RCI info. Thanks

118 cruises? You lucky thing.:D As with everything else, how much or even if to tip the Concierge is a strictly personal decision. They do a great job most of the time, but you may not have much interaction with them. And even if you do - it's still up to you.:)

Book a suite on NCL and you will have a nice coffee maker in the room.

I'll take it! But, only if it comes with lots of p.a. announcements during the day suggesting everyone buy the drink of the moment, the Bahamaramalamadingdong in a souvenir glass for $9.95, plenty of reminders about the Jackpot Bingo payout of the day, or when the next belly-flop contest will be held by which pool. I can never get enough of those.

You are very welcome. I am glad you enjoyed it.

I thought it very helpful that people were discussing the actual level of service that would warrant tipping the concierge, and the actual dollar amounts.

Edited by CowPrincess

I'll take it! But, only if it comes with lots of p.a. announcements during the day suggesting everyone buy the drink of the moment, the Bahamaramalamadingdong in a souvenir glass for $9.95, plenty of reminders about the Jackpot Bingo payout of the day, or when the next belly-flop contest will be held by which pool. I can never get enough of those.

You will be soooo HAPPY! Love your humor. :D:D

I have a question about the cocktail party held for suite guests with the officers. Is it always held in the same place and if so, where? My husband has a mobility problem and advance info would be helpful. Thanks.

The cocktail party is not held in the same place. Depends on the ship. On the Prinsendam it is in the Captain's quarters. On a lot of ships, it is in the Crow's Nest. I think with the Westerdam it will be in the Crow's Nest if it is the same as when we were on and if my memory serves me correctly.