Fort Lauderdale

vino100

I am thinking of booking the embassy suites in Fort Lauderdale for my April cruise. They offer a schuttle service to the hotel and cruise ship. Both destinations seem very close so I was wondering if it would be less expensive to just take a cab. The extra cost per room for the transfers is $40. Also is it hard to get a taxi on cruise day ?

This is discussed daily on the Florida Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

as it really has nothing to do with HAL.

The taxi airport to hotel will be less than $15 before tip. From hotel to port will be less than $15, unless the line at the entrance is long. Taxis sit outside the hotel regularly.

[/size]

Edited by CruiserBruce

I am thinking of booking the embassy suites in Fort Lauderdale for my April cruise. They offer a schuttle service to the hotel and cruise ship. Both destinations seem very close so I was wondering if it would be less expensive to just take a cab. The extra cost per room for the transfers is $40. Also is it hard to get a taxi on cruise day ?

We've stayed at the Embassy Suites many times. It is less expensive to take the taxi and you can go at your time. The hotel shuttle goes at designated times and you have to squeeze in with others and others are dropped off at other ships that have drop off prior to your ship.

Edited by qsuzi

Each time I have sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale, I have stayed at this property in Dania Beach. It is a moderately priced clean newer hotel with free shuttle service from the airport and to the cruise port. The ride takes maybe 10 to 15 minutes.

Taxi. Hands down. Yellow Cab is the company that services that part of Fort Lauderdale. You can reserve your cab before you leave home by calling (954) 777-7777. Don't try reserving on their website. It's not ready for prime time. If you give your cell phone number when you reserve, you'll get a text before the taxi arrives. A word of advice - They're almost always early for scheduled pick ups. Plan to be ready 15 minutes before the pick up time.

We've stayed at the Embassy Suites many times. It is less expensive to take the taxi and you can go at your time. The hotel shuttle goes at designated times and you have to squeeze in with others and others are dropped off at other ships that have drop off prior to your ship.

I took the shuttle from embassy suites one time and it was more like a mini bus. I hate crawling into a van cheek to cheek with others. The mini bus was great. Was you experience with a van?

We took the mini bus shuttle from the Embassy Suites in April and it was very roomy. No squishing people together. It helped that the bus was full of our roll call people.

We ordered a cab but after waiting 45 minutes for it to arrive we took the bus and were quite happy. We were all headed to the Westerdam but if there were to be drop offs at other ships I would be inclined to make sure my luggage didn't get taken off at the wrong stop.

Next time I will take POA's taxi advice.

We have stayed at the Embassy Suites many times over the years both pre and post cruise.

We use taxi's to go from airport to hotel and hotel to ship.

At the airport you just get in line for a taxi -- very fast service.

At the hotel sometimes there are taxis right there, otherwise the front desk will call you one. When we are ready to go to the ship, the person who comes to get our luggage calls a cab for us -- they know us that well there.

Easy to get a cab. Cheaper, faster, and you go when you want to go. $40 for a transfer? It is a $10-15 cab ride.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites two years ago. We were not impressed.

The rooms were dark and in need of a renovation. The elevators were slow...we always seemed to be waiting.

We very much prefer the Renaissance across and down the street or the Hyatt Place across the street.

Perhaps they have completed a renovation? They were plans to renovate the lobby/dining area but I am not sure about the rooms.

Edited by iancal

I took the shuttle from embassy suites one time and it was more like a mini bus. I hate crawling into a van cheek to cheek with others. The mini bus was great. Was you experience with a van?

We took their van and on other occasions the minibus. I should have mentioned the minibus- it is nice and no squishing. I agree with POA about reserving a cab for the specific time you want to leave. As a solo traveler would you have paid more to take a cab?

Edited by qsuzi

We took their van and on other occasions the minibus. I should have mentioned the minibus- it is nice and no squishing. I agree with POA about reserving a cab for the specific time you want to leave. As a solo traveler would you have paid more to take a cab?

I likely would pay more for a cab. My comfort is worth more to me than money. If I had to squish into a van I would take a cab. The last time I was in Fort Lauderdale I waited for about 45 minutes for a cab to come. Not sure what I'm going to do on Sunday. Thx for taking time to answer.

I likely would pay more for a cab. My comfort is worth more to me than money. If I had to squish into a van I would take a cab. The last time I was in Fort Lauderdale I waited for about 45 minutes for a cab to come. Not sure what I'm going to do on Sunday. Thx for taking time to answer.

Wishing you a wonderful memory filled cruise. Bon Voyage!!!!!