Friends of Dorothy

Darthdaddy

Friends of Dorothy are alcoholics anomymous groups. With all the booze aboard, they need their sessions.

Not saying you are definitely wrong, but my understanding is that Friends of Bill W is that, and the Dorothy thing is a quite different group of people.

Friends of Bill W is the listing for alcoholics anonymous gatherings.

Friends of Dorothy is the listing for gay and lesbian (primarily gay men...Dorothy being the very dated gay icon Judy Garland) gatherings.

This is correct, particularly the word "dated" as applied to FOD.

As a gay traveler, I see no reason for NCL to continue to use "code" or a "closet" name for these socials. Most non-Americans have no clue what Friends of Dorothy means, and most Americans below the age of 40, or maybe even 30, have no idea either. In fact, it's probably safe to say that except for American gay men who are late middle aged and older, most gay people are clueless about this, and hence have no idea these socials are going on.

I've previously suggested to NCL that they use the term LGBT, but so far that's gone nowhere.

As a gay traveler, I see no reason for NCL to continue to use "code" or a "closet" name for these socials. Most non-Americans have no clue what Friends of Dorothy means, and most Americans below the age of 40, or maybe even 30, have no idea either. In fact, it's probably safe to say that except for American gay men who are late middle aged and older, most gay people are clueless about this, and hence have no idea these socials are going on.

I've previously suggested to NCL that they use the term LGBT, but so far that's gone nowhere.

They heard you! On our Gem cruise last month the meeting were noted as Friends of Dorothy, LGBT in our Freestyle Daily.

Friends of Bill W is the listing for alcoholics anonymous gatherings.

Friends of Dorothy is the listing for gay and lesbian (primarily gay men...Dorothy being the very dated gay icon Judy Garland) gatherings.

There's debate as to who Dorothy is.

Some would say Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, but most would say Dorothy Parker.

My favorite Dorothy Parker quote:

"I like to have a martini, two at the very most.

After three I'm under the table

After four, I'm under the host."

http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/a/dorothy_parker.htm

They heard you! On our Gem cruise last month the meeting were noted as Friends of Dorothy, LGBT in our Freestyle Daily.

Thanks; that's very interesting news. On the Jade last month, it was only "Friends of Dorothy." I wonder if the clarifying "LGBT" was added on the Gem by a savvy Cruise Director. Doesn't seem company wide yet, but maybe we're getting there! :)

Sorry, I have to ask.

What's the for Q ?

Assuming you mean "what's the Q for"... it's either Q = queer, or Q = questioning.

Fairly standard all-inclusive over-PCness.

Basically it's the collective group of isms which have been discriminated against and who have strangely felt that they could get the rest of society past the discrimination by completely obfuscating the issues by banding together with non-related groups.

I wish all transgendered people the same acceptance I have enjoyed in my life...but other than that, have pretty much nothing in common with them.....except we're all in LGBT(q) together.

I am not sure most really think it needs to be posted either way necessarily, but I do know several gay people including our foster daughter, they all know the term. Anyway we are getting off subject now, the OP just asked a question and has his/her answer.

Nita

The problem is that it's not limited to gays, hence LGBT - lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender.

Yes, well I suppose its also worth mentioning for the OP that the meetings are not really *limited* to anyone. All are welcome--and the more the merrier.

But I dare say if you were going to pick any of the adjectives from LGBT acronym to describe the larger group... "gay" might be the one you'd choose instead of "people of other than traditional heterosexual lifestyle". ("lifestyle" offensiveness aside)

Archived