Friends of Dorothy

Darthdaddy

This probably varies between cruise lines, but does anyone know if someone has to pay (maybe not those attending, but some organization) for the cruise line to set aside rooms for the Friends of Bill and Friends of Dorothy parties, or is this simply a part of the cruise line's activities that they provide?

Just a point of expansion... The cruise lines are no exclusive to FOD or FOB. NCL has often tried to meet the social needs of all groups. When on board with a large number of handicapped persons, they set aside a lounge for a social meeting and encouraged a discussion on how they could meet the needs of the handicapped better in the future. I was quite impressed. The travelers were not on a group trip, we were approached by another h/c person in the hall and invited to attend as it was impromptu. All done word of mouth.

This is correct, particularly the word "dated" as applied to FOD.

As a gay traveler, I see no reason for NCL to continue to use "code" or a "closet" name for these socials. Most non-Americans have no clue what Friends of Dorothy means, and most Americans below the age of 40, or maybe even 30, have no idea either. In fact, it's probably safe to say that except for American gay men who are late middle aged and older, most gay people are clueless about this, and hence have no idea these socials are going on.

I've previously suggested to NCL that they use the term LGBT, but so far that's gone nowhere.

My friend is gay and went on a cruise. When he came back he asked me what all the meetings for friends of Dorothy were, and I was like "really? how can you not know that!" but I guess it's true that the younger generations don't know what it means. Too bad too, cause once he found out what it was, he was so bummed he missed out on it.

This probably varies between cruise lines, but does anyone know if someone has to pay (maybe not those attending, but some organization) for the cruise line to set aside rooms for the Friends of Bill and Friends of Dorothy parties, or is this simply a part of the cruise line's activities that they provide?

On NCL, the room isn't "set aside" or closed off to anyone else. On the cruises I've been on, the Freestyle Daily merely noted that FOD will be at a certain time in a specific location, usually a lounge or bar. The lounge or bar was not closed off or open only to self-identified FODs. Any passenger could still enjoy the place (and many did). No need or reason for anyone to pay for rooms to be set aside.

I am not sure most really think it needs to be posted either way necessarily, but I do know several gay people including our foster daughter, they all know the term. Anyway we are getting off subject now, the OP just asked a question and has his/her answer.

Nita

Getting off the subject? The very fact that FOD is needless "code" is the reason the OP had to ask the question in the first place.

This is correct, particularly the word "dated" as applied to FOD.

As a gay traveler, I see no reason for NCL to continue to use "code" or a "closet" name for these socials. Most non-Americans have no clue what Friends of Dorothy means, and most Americans below the age of 40, or maybe even 30, have no idea either. In fact, it's probably safe to say that except for American gay men who are late middle aged and older, most gay people are clueless about this, and hence have no idea these socials are going on.

I've previously suggested to NCL that they use the term LGBT, but so far that's gone nowhere.

FOD was an acceptable way to list the gatherings for years. Until you came along, perhaps the cruise lines had no idea there was a latest and greatest acronym. And I wonder if you speak for all gay people who accepted FOD over the years? When you go out and about, you still see folks gawking and grinning at gay couples. Perhaps some might prefer FOD for their own reasons, including perhaps that less folks will know what it means. Which might cause less embarrassment (gawking and giggling, or worse) to the folks at the gathering.

On NCL, the room isn't "set aside" or closed off to anyone else. On the cruises I've been on, the Freestyle Daily merely noted that FOD will be at a certain time in a specific location, usually a lounge or bar. The lounge or bar was not closed off or open only to self-identified FODs. Any passenger could still enjoy the place (and many did). No need or reason for anyone to pay for rooms to be set aside.

Thanks for the reply. That makes a lot of sense. On RCCL, the rooms were set aside and there was a sign on the door stating it was a private function. I may be confusing this with something else going on on the ship, but I don't think so.

This thread is a perfect example of the PC Police going wild. Good grief. Every cruise I have been on has had gatherings of "Friends of Bill W." This is a group for recovering alcoholics. The other group that has met has been "Friends of Dorothy"--this is for all of those who have chosen to be gay. End of story.

We may be the Chosen People (well..the OTHER chosen people) but I've never met anyone who CHOSE to be gay. Never.

To my knowledge no one has to pay for these rooms. The group has to be set up ahead of time..In some cases like FOD they are on every sailing..

Nita

My friend is gay and went on a cruise. When he came back he asked me what all the meetings for friends of Dorothy were' date=' and I was like "really? how can you not know that!" but I guess it's true that the younger generations don't know what it means. Too bad too, cause once he found out what it was, he was so bummed he missed out on it.[/quote']

LOL, the only reason I know what it is, is because of cruising. They are usually entertaining.

Dear Friends:

I am a gay man and "Friends of Dorothy" is code for other travelers that might be gay, lesbian, bi-sexual or trans-gendered that may also be traveling. Most cruise lines, even until this day will not allow us to post right out to the GLBT community. It is a reference to Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz and most specific to the "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" song, as we use the spectrum of rainbow colors to incorporate our pride; thus, Dorothy became the honorary gay icon.

Don

The problem is that it's not limited to gays, hence LGBT - lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender.

Thank you for explaining what LGBT stands for. I honestly had no idea.

I also had no idea that Friends of Dorothy was for LGBT.

So, I've learned two new pieces of information.

Thanks everyone. I'll now be able to answer that question for others.

First time I saw FOD and FOB in the Dailies, I thought they were wealthy big wigs with lots of friends and were having special private parties. Now I know.

That is a quite common mistake!

The cruise line provides the space as a public service for people to meet. They also have singles meet & greets. Same thing.

I always laugh that they have the Bill W meeting in a bar!

• 3 years later...
Friends of Bill W is the listing for alcoholics anonymous gatherings.

Friends of Dorothy is the listing for gay and lesbian (primarily gay men...Dorothy being the very dated gay icon Judy Garland) gatherings.

Wrong wrong wrong to anybody who believes that the "Friends of Dorothy" saying refers to fans of Judy Garland and her famous early role as Dorothy in the wizard of Oz. if you don't want to have your sequined shoes taken away, you should read up on the cabaret singer, Dorothy Dandridge, who had so many gay fans and admirers (and most likely was an FOD herself) that in NYC of the '30s and '40s, if you were a "Friend of Dorothy's," you were gay in a time when dancing between men was not as socially acceptable as it is today.

Wrong wrong wrong to anybody who believes that the "Friends of Dorothy" saying refers to fans of Judy Garland and her famous early role as Dorothy in the wizard of Oz. if you don't want to have your sequined shoes taken away, you should read up on the cabaret singer, Dorothy Dandridge, who had so many gay fans and admirers (and most likely was an FOD herself) that in NYC of the '30s and '40s, if you were a "Friend of Dorothy's," you were gay in a time when dancing between men was not as socially acceptable as it is today.

You brought back a three year old thread????

You could be right, but I would love to see some sort of citation for this claim. Another unconfirmed theory is that the term is related to Dorothy Parker, celebrated writer from the 1920s on and founder of the Algonguin Round Table.

You brought back a three year old thread????

Not only a 3 year old thread, but one that could have easily been answered if the original poster had just typed "Friends of Dorothy" into google or bing or yahoo.

Less effort and faster answer.

First time I saw FOD and FOB in the Dailies, I thought they were wealthy big wigs with lots of friends and were having special private parties. Now I know.

I don't know if they will be wealthy, but there may be plenty of 'big wigs' there!!!:D

There's debate as to who Dorothy is.

Some would say Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, but most would say Dorothy Parker.

My favorite Dorothy Parker quote:

"I like to have a martini, two at the very most.

After three I'm under the table

After four, I'm under the host."

http://womenshistory.about.com/od/quotes/a/dorothy_parker.htm

In which case, a Friend of Dorothy may also benefit from becoming Friend of Bill W. ;)

Archived