Questions for upcoming Trip to Princess Cays on Caribbean Princess

metsmom

We will be traveling in Nov. to Princess Cays on the Caribbean Princess and had a couple of questions for Cruise Critic experts. On our last cruise on the Grand Princess, we went immediately to the diVinci dining room rather than the overcrowded Buffet after embarking. Is there a similar DR to go to on the Caribbean Princess when you board to avoid the crowds? Also does anyone know exactly where in the Bahamas is Princess Cays? I know it is owned by Princess but if anyone has been there can you tell me a bit about it? This was a last minute deal and a great buy and we were just curious for any info you can give us. Thanks!!!!! :)

We will be traveling in Nov. to Princess Cays on the Caribbean Princess and had a couple of questions for Cruise Critic experts. On our last cruise on the Grand Princess, we went immediately to the diVinci dining room rather than the overcrowded Buffet after embarking. Is there a similar DR to go to on the Caribbean Princess when you board to avoid the crowds? Also does anyone know exactly where in the Bahamas is Princess Cays? I know it is owned by Princess but if anyone has been there can you tell me a bit about it? This was a last minute deal and a great buy and we were just curious for any info you can give us. Thanks!!!!! :)

Yes, one DR is open for lunch on embarkation from 12:00 to 1:30 pm, check your Patter. I believe Princess Cays is at the end of Eleuthra Island in the Bahamas.

Princess cays is a "resort" on the end of Eleuthra Island. I put resort in quotes because at the end of the day, everyone but a couple of caretakers leave. It is essentially two beaches with a lagoon in the middle. The lagoon is where the tenders tie up. On one beach are big toys like paddle boats and stuff if you cross the lagoon to the other beach, that is set up for "clamshells" which are two lingers under a canopy. If you get there early you can get a front spot and have a great ocean view.

Both beaches have dining huts. The ship brings over food and drink. Lunch is a BBQ of burgers and hot dogs. They have desserts and a large supply of fruits as well.

There is also a string of small shops you can look for souvenirs.

Princess also has excursions toad take you to part of the island outside of the compound. We went there twice on a 2 week cruise and took a tour one day. The island has some pretty views and an interesting history.

The second trip we had a beach day. The water is crystal clear and it pleasant.

Sounds like a really nice place! In November not sure if we will go in the water but we probably would enjoy walking on beach. I'm guessing if you want a nice tropical drink that will be the same as purchasing it onboard with your Princess card since they run Princess Cay? If we leave the Princess section is it easy to get back?

Sounds like a really nice place! In November not sure if we will go in the water but we probably would enjoy walking on beach. I'm guessing if you want a nice tropical drink that will be the same as purchasing it onboard with your Princess card since they run Princess Cay? If we leave the Princess section is it easy to get back?

Yes your card works on PC.

The Princess area is fenced off, you would have to walk anywhere unless you are on an excursion.

We like to walk and took a walk along the shore, outside of the Princess area, then to a road and walked a couple of more miles in a big circle and got back into the compound on the other side. It was interesting and felt safe.

Otherwise it's a nice relaxed beach day.

Regarding lunch upon embarkation, the staff really does tell you to go to the buffet. I knew that we could eat at the Palm Dining room, so in spite of asking 5 different staff members all for directions to the Palm, I was offered the buffet. Needless to say, located and ate at the Palm dining room and it was wonderful. No one was there, great food and no hassle. Don't give up, its open and great experience.

Princess Cay is ok. I like to swim and was warned by CC there were rocks everywhere. That is true. Bring surf shoes if you go in the water. We were prepared.

We rented a cabana for the day ad it was great. The weather was pushing 98 (late august) so the air-conditioning was awesome. My fav private island is Disney's. This one was ok. Beach not the best, but still I will be going back in Dec of 2014 so I must have liked it.

I see you said it was 98 degrees in August. We will be there on Nov. 22nd. What do you think we can expect for temperatures about that time of year? Do you think it will be warm enough for shorts? Thanks!

I have never been cold there. Our trip last December it was in the 80's.

Our recollection is that the dining room used for lunch on the day of embarkation is the Palm Dining Room (the one assigned to Traditional Dining for dinner). We did it and enjoyed the calm served meal rather than wrestling the crowds at the buffet.

I have been on carribbean twice recently, and embarcation lunch

has been in the coral dining room, deck 6 mid-ship.

Mid-ship, deck-6 is always the best bet for grand class ships.

I haven't seen the aft dining room (Palm, Boticelli, etc.) used

since grand first came out, when it was in-transit, and a few officers.

I see you said it was 98 degrees in August. We will be there on Nov. 22nd. What do you think we can expect for temperatures about that time of year? Do you think it will be warm enough for shorts? Thanks!

Weather can't be guaranteed of course, but when we've been there in December it was in the 80's. The Bahamas often have similar weather to south Florida, so cold fronts in Miami, say, may be reflected in Princess Cays.

Definitely it was warm enough for shorts/swimming.

We have been to Princess Cays 5 or 6 times-----always in January or February---and it was always warm enough to swim.

• 2 weeks later...

The ship brings over food and drink. Lunch is a BBQ of burgers and hot dogs. They have desserts and a large supply of fruits as well.

What (if any) food is included in your cruise fare? Everything at the BBQ except drinks? If you purchased a Beverage Card for use on board the ship, is it accepted on PC? How about a coffee card? And finally, do the same rules regarding not taking food off the ship apply to PC, or can you bring some snacks or a picnic lunch, or a bottle of wine with you? TIA.

Edit to add.....found the answer re: Beverage Package, (which I assume means the All-You-Want Alcohol Package.) I assume the same is true for the kids' Soda Card?? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2094025&highlight=cay

Edited by JimmyVWine

What (if any) food is included in your cruise fare? Everything at the BBQ except drinks? If you purchased a Beverage Card for use on board the ship, is it accepted on PC? How about a coffee card? And finally, do the same rules regarding not taking food off the ship apply to PC, or can you bring some snacks or a picnic lunch, or a bottle of wine with you? TIA.

Edit to add.....found the answer re: Beverage Package, (which I assume means the All-You-Want Alcohol Package.) I assume the same is true for the kids' Soda Card?? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2094025&highlight=cay

The soda card is not accepted on Princess Cays. The soda card is only good for pop from the fountain and on Princess Cays they serve pop by the can. So you have to pay for it (unless you have the full blown Beverage Package that you refer to above).

There is no charge for the BBQ food.

We were just on Princess Cay a couple days ago. One thing I definitely didn't like is how early they close everything up.

Our last tender didn't leave until 4:30 but the food and bars closed at 1:30. Even the silly sharks you pose with for pictures were gone. Pretty much anyone associated with the ship left at 1:30, with only locals still there to man their shops.

A couple in the cabana behind us grabbed a waiter and complained that they had ordered drinks a long time ago but no one ever brought them. He said it was because the bar closed. Somehow he managed to find them some drinks - and this was just before 1:30.

Edited by more cruises

We were just on Princess Cay a couple days ago. One thing I definitely didn't like is how early they close everything up.

Our last tender didn't leave until 4:30 but the food and bars closed at 1:30. Even the silly sharks you pose with for pictures were gone. Pretty much anyone associated with the ship left at 1:30, with only locals still there to man their shops.

A couple in the cabana behind us grabbed a waiter and complained that they had ordered drinks a long time ago but no one ever brought them. He said it was because the bar closed. Somehow he managed to find them some drinks - and this was just before 1:30.

I experienced the same thing earlier this month when I stopped there. While I understand that they have to pack up and get everything back to the ship I find it ridiculous that the bars close by 1:30-2pm. I have never seen this on any other private island and I don't remember it happening when I was on the Emerald Princess in Jan 2012 and we stopped here.

I also found getting drinks service on the beach next to impossible. Either the waiters were wandering aimlessly looking at the ocean or down at the sand. They were NOT looking at the loungers and seeking out passengers to serve them. The one guy I literally flagged down by yelling and waving my t-shirt never came back with my beer (I waited over 45 minutes).

I'm not sure what the issue is with Princess Cays, as bar service/waitstaff on the ship had been uniformly excellent for the entire 12 days onboard and it is staffed from the ships bar staff. Maybe they consider being rostered over there a "punishment"?

The soda card is not accepted on Princess Cays. The soda card is only good for pop from the fountain and on Princess Cays they serve pop by the can. So you have to pay for it (unless you have the full blown Beverage Package that you refer to above).

There is no charge for the BBQ food.

Thanks.

In light of the early shut down, could we bring beverages with us for use at the beach? (I mean, I know that we could, as I doubt that we will be subject to a pat down when leaving the ship, but is it allowed? Seems rather silly that an adult with their "all-you-can-drink" package gets their sodas covered, but a teen with the Soda Card cannot. Hate to pay twice for her to drink liquids that day.)