Dream holiday and cruise , a nightmare trip

I have flown to Sydney from Melbourne on the day of the trip but anything else I have flown in the day before.

I shake my head when I hear people not taking out insurance. I always take it out. No matter how short the trip is.

I can't believe that anyone travels without insurance.

I cruise out of Sydney, about a 2-3 hour drive and I almost always go down the night before, at the very least I make sure I am aiming to be there by by 6 hours prior to boarding closing, if I am early I can hangout and wait but if I'm late ....

We try and do all these things when we travel.

• Always have travel insurance;
  • have all the necessary paperwork;
  • double check every detail;
  • have directions in the foreign language;
  • have contingency plans in case of problems arise; and
  • allow time so that if things go wrong, it doesn't matter.

I do feel sorry for the couple, having some bad luck and then making one mistake after the other.

I can't believe that anyone travels without insurance.

I cruise out of Sydney, about a 2-3 hour drive and I almost always go down the night before, at the very least I make sure I am aiming to be there by by 6 hours prior to boarding closing, if I am early I can hangout and wait but if I'm late ....

Travel insurance doesnt cover silly mistakes even if it was the cab drivers fault for going to the wrong port.

To arrive in a country no more than 2 -21/2 hours before a cruise departure time compounded the issue and added to the silly mistake.

He got sick and was in bed for weeks, how much would it have cost them in ships medical bills! They may actually be ahead by missing the boat.

Travel insurance doesnt cover silly mistakes even if it was the cab drivers fault for going to the wrong port.

To arrive in a country no more than 2 -21/2 hours before a cruise departure time compounded the issue and added to the silly mistake.

He got sick and was in bed for weeks, how much would it have cost them in ships medical bills! They may actually be ahead by missing the boat.

You may be right.:eek:

The article says they may be able recoup some money so they might have had travel insurance.

Got that impression too.

Just things may/may not be covered. And in any case, the holiday is gone, regardless of insurance. The only thing insurance does is give you back the money... not the holiday.

What a sad story. How did they get it it so wrong?? Insurance for the cruise may have helped, but if they missed the cruise transfers then their airfares may have been too tight a turnaround for a claim anyway.

So sorry for them.

A few holes in the story, such as

• the cruise ship doing a Trans Atlantic leaves from Copenhagen and goes directly to the Panama Canal, no stops in Norway, or England or mainland Europe or even at the Central/ south American side?
  • the only flights they could get were either back to Australia or back to Dublin?

both very unlikely. There are more but obviously not the whole story.

Edited by MicCanberra

• the cruise ship doing a Trans Atlantic leaves from Copenhagen and goes directly to the Panama Canal, no stops in Norway, or England or mainland Europe or even at the Central/ south American side?
  • the only flights they could get were either back to Australia or back to Dublin?

You know what they say - "never let the truth get in the way of a good story"

Firstly I feel for anyone who has undergone bowel surgery and also has to watch their ship sail away without them. It is a sad story.

Your right Mic I don't believe that the only flights they could get were to Dublin or Australia. But I think that the only flights they could get with free accomodation at the other end were to these destinations. My reasoning on this is that they didn't want to pay for accomodation in Copenhagen and thus flew in the day of the cruise (I am just guessing of course). I'm am sure there would be plenty to see and do in this beautiful city to fill in a day. Isn't that why you go on a cruise to relax and see the sights.

I admit at times on holidays I have been guilty of watching the purse strings and have regreted not spending more time in a certain place.

What I got from this story is how important research is before a big trip.

Karryl

Firstly I feel for anyone who has undergone bowel surgery and also has to watch their ship sail away without them. It is a sad story.

Your right Mic I don't believe that the only flights they could get were to Dublin or Australia. But I think that the only flights they could get with free accomodation at the other end were to these destinations. My reasoning on this is that they didn't want to pay for accomodation in Copenhagen and thus flew in the day of the cruise (I am just guessing of course). I'm am sure there would be plenty to see and do in this beautiful city to fill in a day. Isn't that why you go on a cruise to relax and see the sights.

I admit at times on holidays I have been guilty of watching the purse strings and have regreted not spending more time in a certain place.

What I got from this story is how important research is before a big trip.

Karryl

Thats the key......and thats where this board comes into its own.

How many times do we see questions about how do we get from the airport to the ship /ship to airport....usually Sydney or Auckland in our part of the world . Every year its asked time and time again and every year we are happy to answer , so that situations such as this need not occur .

How many times do we see questions about how do we get from the airport to the ship /ship to airport....usually Sydney or Auckland in our part of the world . Every year its asked time and time again and every year we are happy to answer , so that situations such as this need not occur .

Yes, cannot say enough how fabulous CC has been. Enhanced our TA to no end. Met the loveliest people & had fantastic tours. Both directly from CC.

It amazes me the amount of info freely shared here. Our table mates were elite status from their cruising however still less knowledge than what I received from the roll call & boards! :)

Heres a reminder that if you are flying in to a foreign destination for a cruise ,

it pays to arrive at least the day before .

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/25530273/dream-holiday-a-nightmare-trip/

doesn't sound like they had insurance...no sympathy I'm afraid... harsh but true...

Edited by roscoe39

It doesn't sound like holes, just shorthand.

It turns out it was a B2B, leaving from Copenahagen, then Miami to the Panama Canal.

The article said after missing it in Copenhagen, he wanted to catch it for the Panama canal, so presumably fly to Miami. However, he fell sick again so that plan got nixed.

The flight back to Dublin was 'to plan their next move.' The wording isn't great... but it's News Limited.

So true, research and being prepared are so important.

Yes, cannot say enough how fabulous CC has been. Enhanced our TA to no end. Met the loveliest people & had fantastic tours. Both directly from CC.

It amazes me the amount of info freely shared here. Our table mates were elite status from their cruising however still less knowledge than what I received from the roll call & boards! :)

Definitely, ask almost anything here and you are likely to get the answer or be pointed in the right direction.:D

It doesn't sound like holes, just shorthand.

It turns out it was a B2B, leaving from Copenahagen, then Miami to the Panama Canal.

The article said after missing it in Copenhagen, he wanted to catch it for the Panama canal, so presumably fly to Miami. However, he fell sick again so that plan got nixed.

The flight back to Dublin was 'to plan their next move.' The wording isn't great... but it's News Limited.

Holes, gaps, missed details, bad wording, sloppy journalism, whatever. It is typical of News limited and the ACA type stories. :(