Rome Pre-cruise

aljo2000

I'm booked on the Constellation 12 night cruise leaving from Rome in June 2015. We are interested in doing a 3 day pre-cruise, possibly with transfers from the airport and to the ship on departure day. Any information on this is appreciated. Thanks...

The only information I can give you is that Rome is very easy to see on your own, and you will pay at least double using a cruise-tour!

For instance, the standard cab fare from Fiumicino to central Rome is 48E for the entire taxi; Celebrity will charge you per person. They also charge per person for hotel. I just booked a very highly rated small boutique hotel in Trastevere for $330 for two nights--check to see what Celebrity will charge. A private port transfer is about 125E; sharable with others on your roll call if you are okay with that.

The "Centro Storico" is very small and walkable; it is easy to get around using buses, metro and taxis.

I realize that DIY isn't for everyone; I just want to point out that it's easy to do especially in Rome. And BTW almost everyone speaks English! Go to the Italy boards for great info.

I am assuming that you are considering the Celebrity pre-cruise package. We did this before our 2013 TA and can recommend Empire Palace Hotel. The location is very good. The other hotels offered by Celebrity at that time were much further out than we would have liked to have been. There are plenty of great restaurants very close to the hotel but we never got passed the Ristorante La Locanda di Bacco. We enjoyed it so much!

The hotel itself is way a really nice place to stay and we arrived to discovered that they had upgraded us to a junior suite.

The included transfers were really worthwhile. It was a dreadful day for flights from the UK to Rome the day we flew out. We were really late arriving and then there was a really long delay getting to baggage claim. The Celebrity rep was not only waiting for us with a van ready just for us but had collected our luggage together off the carousel and made everything so easy.

The port has little in the way of space or facilities and Celebrity timed our transfer from Rome for a time they expected the port to be quiet. They were correct and we walked straight off the coach, through check-in, onto the ship and to our rooms with no delay at all.

All in all the transfers made everything so easy. There was a rep at the hotel during certain time and she could arrange tours in Rome if you require. What you have to remember when you compare prices is that the hotel price quoted by Celebrity includes your transfers. When everything is taken into account, sometimes it is cheaper to book separately and at other times it is not. We are very independent travellers and rarely book sight-seeing tours but almost always book our flights and hotels through Celebrity. We can do everything ourselves but, especially when things go awry, like our flights to Rome or Immigration delays at Miami, it is just so much nicer to have someone there smoothing the way for you when you are at your lowest.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Project_gal

We used Rome Cabs for our airport transfers when we did our Med Cruise. They also offer guided tours but we found it easy enough to get around the city and see everything we wanted. BUT, be prepared to walk and walk. So much to see in a just a few days walking is often the best way to see it all. Oh, use your roll call to organize airport transfer groups, another way to save some $$$.

We did 3days post cruise in Rome in 2009. My travel partner just wanted to book the cruise line package, but my TA used a TA website called TravelBound and saved us $700pp, with a much more central location. EM

We did RomeCabs for all transfers. They only do private cars and vans, in Mercedes. It is 50 Euros airport to/from city center hotels for 2. It is 130 Euros port to/from city center hotels for 2. If you add people (we did to the port) it gets really inexpensive. We were a party of 6 and I think it was about 180 to the port.

We stayed in 2 hotels, one before and one after. They are both walkable to sites but to go to Vatican City would be a short cab ride. We did a Rome tour about 10 yrs ago so we didn't take an official tour this time. A Rick Steves book and map were good enough. We stayed at Hotel Mozart (near Spanish Steps) and Albergo Cesari (near Pantheon). Both have nice rooftop bars and breakfast is included. Cesari gives you free welcome cocktails and bottled water, serves breakfast on the rooftop, and is closer to the colesseum. It's very close to the Piazza Navonna, a fun place to go in the evening for dinner. They are both VERY reasonably priced historic boutique hotels. Be aware that the lowest priced rooms are small and basic, so you might want to upgrade. At Cesari, we were in a basic room and had to step up to get in the shower. At Mozart, we booked a room with a jacuzzi and lovely balcony, as we had a small wine party there after dinner with friends. Both hotels are a half block from Via del Corso, a good shopping street that runs through the center of the city. It connects Piazza del Poppolo to Victor Emmanuel monument.

Edited by royalcruz

Rome is very easy on your own. We have also stayed at the Cesari and find it terrific! When luggage was delayed, the staff made several phone calls for us to help us get the baggage. Location is terrific. Great small restaurant at the back of Sanat Maria Sopra Minerva named Il Buco.

Tours: Context Rome has small group tours (maximum of 6) of a number of places in and around Rome. Also look for Underground tour of Colisseum; it allowed us to see more and bypass lines.

We've stayed in Rome as long as a week at a time and been there quite a few times and we still haven't seen it all. Make a priority list of what is most important for you to see..

We were in Rome pre cruise in May and found it very easy to do on our own, we like to pick hotels that suit our needs rather than ones pre picked by the cruise line which are often not in the center of the city. We also used Rome Cabs for all our transfers, service is very efficient and comfortable. And we also stayed at the Albergo Cesari ---- walking distance to all the main tourist spots and the staff is fabulous, made fantastic dinner recommendations at places within walking distance that were off the tourist track. Personally, I would take suggestions from here and make your own arrangements.

We have been to Rome pre-cruise 3 different times each time spending more time than the last and would go back for a week the next chance we get. It is incredible and very easy to do on your own. Rick Steves has a great guide book and free down-load audio tours.

If you can afford the time - highly recommend taking more time than 3 days. We have stayed at the same wonderful hotel 3 times Residenza Cellini and they can arrange a car to pick you up at the air port 55 euro and to the port 140 euro. Great location and breakfast included.

We have in the past done Celebrity's pre-cruise package and done it with private tour companies. Going with Celebrity is easier since they take care of luggage and tours etc. but they are expensive. On a cruise tour you only go as fast as the slowest tourist on your tour. Doing it your self or through a travel agent is far cheaper then through Celebrity. Following a Rick Steve's audio or book tour is cheaper still but it leave it up to you to navigate and schlep your luggage. We have done 3 precruise tours on our own the last was in S. America and from talking to folks on the cruise I think we saw more different things and sometimes more things of interest than those who did the ships pretours. On our last and on our upcoming Med tour we are using private tours for 2 days in Rome (we did the major tourist spots last year), a day in Umbria and then 3 days in Barcelona. We have had some terrific local guides and a few not so. The same is true from cruise tours. What we have learned is that typically when you hire a driver he is that. He will drive you and tell you some facts of interest along the way. So we have become smarter in knowing what we are asking for and what the tour company actually provides. Typically if you stop along the way they may give you suggestions for food or touristy things but they are not guides and wont typically go with you but they will give you a meeting place where they will pick you up. On our day trip to Umbria we had to pay extra for a tour guide to take us through a local town the driver wasnt licensed to do that. We had some great experiences with driversinrome for tours of Rome and transport to and from Rome to airport or cruise port. I hope this helps

For our Sept. Adriatic cruise we were able to get a cruise tour at a cheaper rate than the verandah stateroom just for the cruise. For about $300 p.p. less we get two nights on Lake Como, an extra night in Venice at either The Monaco & Grand or the Metropole ( love both) plus all transfers and some meals! I like this supply and demand thing.

If you are lucky cruise tours can be a very good deal. BTW we only stay at Donna Camilla Savelli in Trastevere (Rome), you will love it, but unfortunately it is not on a cruise tour program.

I've been to Rome several times...and stayed in several different hotels in different areas...

I have a new favorite hotel--I've stayed there my last two visits (both multi-night post-cruise)...

http://www.residenzafarneseroma.it/Index.php?lang=en&?r=4261007&gclid=COXs8Ii7xb8CFURqfgodIgUAuA

It's a small four-star hotel in what I believe to be the absolutely best location in Rome...right next to the French Embassy, just off the Campo di Fiore and only a couple of short blocks from the Piazza Navona...

The Campo di Fiore is the old flower market...It is lined by a good number of reasonably priced restaurants with outdoor tables on the piazza with no extra charge for dining al fresco...

The Piazza Navona is one of the great tourist spots of Rome and a center of nightlife in Rome--coming alive with all varieties of street entertainers, artists, musicians, etc.

Between the Campo and the Piazza are not one but two locations of "Blue Ice", a really great Gelato/Ice Cream shop...

All of the major sights of Rome are within easy walking distance...

Unlike the noisy, busy, high trafficked Spanish Steps area that many tourists are directed to, the Residenza Farnese is on a quiet side street just off the Tiber River...

Trust me, this hotel gets my HIGH recommendation...

Next piece of advice: Get yourself a copy of the AAA Spiral Guide Rome...Easy to carry, great maps and illustrations and some very good suggested walking tours...

With a few days in this area, you can really enjoy Rome...

Get over to the Vatican one day...get there early--without a guide or special connection, you may have to wait in a bit of a line to get in...

Spend some time at the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, and Piazza Navona...not only seeing these and taking your photos, but also just hanging around, taking in the delights of the city...

Visit the Coliseum and walk through the ruins of the Forum...

But, check out that Spiral Guide for a lot of lesser known, but still fantastic sites...Rome is full of them...

Have fun...

Edited by Bruin Steve

We have stayed at the Hotel Sonya twice. It's basic but very pleasant, well located and offers a lovely breakfast and free wifi. It's recommended by Rick Steves and if you look at their website, you can find the Rick Steves discount. Since the hotel is located very near Termini train station, we used that for our transportation from the hotel to the airport - once; never again! Last time we were picked up by Rome in Limo for about 50 Euros and it was wonderful.

I have arranged vans from Central Rome to the port on three different occasions, sharing with members of our roll call. I've used both Rome Cabs and Rome in Limo and they both offered exceptional service. We decided the time we wanted to be picked up and the driver was always early. The last time was two years ago and it was 180 Euros for six people.

I'm booked on the Constellation 12 night cruise leaving from Rome in June 2015. We are interested in doing a 3 day pre-cruise, possibly with transfers from the airport and to the ship on departure day. Any information on this is appreciated. Thanks...

You have plenty of time to plan, it all depends on your budget. You can totally book guided tours that will pick you up from your hotel and drop you off at end of the day or you can just do it on your own. Another factor is how big is your group, that makes a difference on transfers and tours. Assuming you have a party of 2, private transfers is only a little bit more than taxi or Celebrity tour bus, but you will get very good service. My 2 sisters from Toronto and myself all use RomeCabs for all transfers at one time on another when in Rome, there are others that are supposed to be just as good. For hotels, there are lots of boutique hotels in the city center that are reasonable and most would include breakfast. There are 3 or 4 hotels in Rome that have big rooms, do your research to see what is to your liking. We stayed at Boscolo Exedra because we like their rooms and it is very convenient for taking Metro. If you take your time, you can do Colosseum and Roman Forum in one morning, then whatever else not too important on its own. SelectItaly has the cheapest ticket for the Colosseum dudgeon tour, but you are pretty much on your own for the Roman Forum, but I'm not sure if you really need a guide for that. Of course, I've seem people using private guide just for 2 people there too, but I don't have that kind of money. Vatican museum and St Peter's Square and Cathedral is a one day thing, you can rush through it, but why? You don't want to rush when in Rome. They sell tickets for the Vatican museum and you could get it ahead of time or just get it there, tour group tickets always let you skip the line. Also, if you are catholics, you should get your tickets to the mass ahead of time if you plan to attend one. Even if you are not a fan of Angels and Demons, you should go visit Piazza Navona, then a short walk to the Pantheon, and a short hop over to Piazza di Trevi for photo or shopping. Cab is easy to hail in Rome but we found Metro to be very convenient and cheap, just watch your bags and wallets. There are only 2 lines and you will learn it after just one ride, they have maps everywhere and you can even download the map before you go, last I used it, I think it was 1.50 Euros to everywhere. Make sure you have plenty of 5.00 Euros, if the ticket machine refuses to take your money, chances are it is out of change, so make sure you have 1.00 Euros as well.

We are doing the same cruise in May 2015. I called to see what the cruise line offered, and its was roughly $500 per person per night. We found a lively hotel 1 block from the Trevi fountain, with free bkfst and Wi-fi, with king beds for $300 Euro for 3 nights. (not per person) and they arranged for a van to pick us up, and bring us to the hotel $48 Euro for 2. I cant yet arrange our tours in Rome as its too early, but I arranged for transfer from the hotel to the Cruise terminal for $50 Euro (per van). Celebrity will give you a transfer from Rome, if you get to one of the hotels they offer, for $110 per person (USD) so I thought, if we went with that, we'd just do a pre-cruise tour of Rome with Celebrity for like $129 which included transfers. But since I found this cheaper way, we're not going to do that.

Here is where we are staying, http://www.relaisromacentro.com/en/1/home.html

I've already spoken to Anca to give her our CC# to hold (she called me here in MN) and made sure she and I were on the same page regarding airport pick up. They'll have a driver there, with a sign for our last name, and bring us straight to the hotel.

Super cute place, excellent reviews, in the middle of downtown can walk to everything (even the Vatican, but thats far for some folks)

I'd say, if you're worried and can afford it, have it through Celebrity. But if you are on a budget, its not at all hard to do it on your own.

Go get in on a roll call on this site for your cruise, if there isnt one created yet, you can make one. Mines already got some great folks on it, that are super helpful.

And most of all, have a wonderful time!!

Look into Bed and Breakfasts or vrbo.com. We've been successful with both staying in Travestevre and up in Monte Verde Vecchio.

Hotels are very expensive compared to apartments or small BnBs.

The last 3 times we have stayed in Rome we have booked accommodation close to Termini Station as it means that we can catch a cheap shuttle bus for approx 6 Euros from the airport to Termini and then on each stay have only had a 5 -10 min walk to our accommdation. It also allows us to catch the train from there to Citavvecchia for the cruise we have taken saving considerable cost for little effort or alarm.

The last stay we had was in May when we booked The Dream Station which is a really nice and inexpensive B&B right on Via Giuliti beside the station. Surprisingly it was very quiet and it is also close enough to walk to the Colosseum or to Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon down via ****onal and then right through the tunnel. We find Rome very walkable and use the Metro to go to places like the Cistine Chapel.

Have considered staying clsoer in to the Trevi Fountain area but have been copmfortable with the choices we have made based on a good rating on Trip Advisor of the places we have stayed at.

We stayed in a nice hotel near Termini once, but on a repeat visit we chose to stay in the historical center. It was a much better experience the second time. We could walk easily to every major site with the possible exception of the Borghese Gardens and when it was time to take the train to our next destination, it was only a 10€ cab ride to Termini.

Not only was it more convenient, it was much more interesting and charming, and the restaurants were much better than the ones in the Termini area.

Another option for things to do is to take the high speed train to Florence for the day. 6 of us did that last Sept. and was wonderful. We got the train at Termini at 8 am and returned at 9pm. Walked the town and had lunch and dinner there. Good luck with your plans and enjoy.:):):)

Here is what we do

As a family of 6 we have a driver meet us at fco and bring us to our centrally located Rome hotel or apt

We always stay 3 to 5 nights although next time it will be 6 or 7 and we will do more day trips from Rome

We walk to most Rome locations with the occasional metro ride

We eat at great out of the way restaurants

We do an historic Rome day

We do a Vatican day

We do a religious Rome day

We do an unusual Rome day like the capuchin crypt or castal st Angelo or the absurdly horrendous Time Elevator when the kids were younger.

We do a museum day

Of course we mix and match

We do a piazza day or night like popolo/navona/Cavour

We put if toes in when able to

We count the number if feral cats in Rome lol

What I am saying is there is never enough time for Rome. We love it we will never tire of it and that us why we go back

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can buy the ticket on the day of travel, but by booking earlier you can really discount the ticket price (depends how far out you buy). The up side is you save money - the down side is if your travel plans change normally your ticket doesn't.

Barbara

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When booking transfers in Rome and Venice with romelimousineplus I inquired about train tickets to Florence. They purchased them for 6 of us and received them when they picked us up from Civ. Very convenient .:cool: