Help needed deciding between these 2 itineraries !!

csupernova

Hi

We just got married and this will be our first time going on a cruise ship and really excited. We have basically narrowed down to go with the Royal Caribbean. However, we just can't decide which routes that we would like to take. I tried to search online but not much info can be found. I hope maybe someone here might have experienced one or both of the following:

1) Departs From San Juan, Puerto Rico visiting Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas >> Basseterre, St. Kitts >> Oranjestad, Aruba >> Curacao

2) Departs From San Juan, Puerto Rico visiting Bridgetown, Barbados >> Castries, St. Lucia >> St. John's, Antigua >> Philipsburg, St. Maarten >> Frederiksted, St. Croix, U.S.V.I.

WE have never been to the Caribbean. I hope someone could offer some advice which route is better. My wife and I are young, active and don't mind walking a lot.

Thanks in advance.

I like the second itinerary better. We were in St. Kitts last year, and to tell you the truth, if I were on another cruise that visited that port, I would not even get off the ship. Just my opinion, but it is my least favorite of all the places I have visited in the Caribbean.

I would take the second. I am not a big fan of St. Thomas. (If you take an excursion there, plan to get back to the ship nice and early - traffic can be horrendous.)

Have you looked at the Ports of Call section yet? There is a lot of advice on each island/port. That might help you make up your mind.

Pretty close but I would side for #2. on #1 I like Aruba and Curacoa, lukewarm on St. Thomas and dislike St. Kitts. On #2 I love St. Maarten (favourite Caribbean island), like Barbados and St. Lucia, lukewarm St. Croix, Antigua IMHO

Hello!

As you can see you are going to only get different opinions on which is better because everyone has their own preferences. I would research each port and try and figure out what I would like to do/see at each one.

If you are not finding the info you need online, a good ole travel guide from your local library will have info on each of these islands.

The itinerary that has the most things I would rather do/see is the itinerary I would pick. If you still can't decide just flip a coin (seriously).

Since you have never been to the Caribbean or on a cruise, either one would be fine in my opinion. Islands other people prefer, you may not like as much and vice versa. You won't really know though until you cruise at least once.

Congrats on your marriage and enjoy!

As you can see you are going to only get different opinions on which is better because everyone has their own preferences. I would research each port and try and figure out what I would like to do/see at each one.

If you are not finding the info you need online, a good ole travel guide from your local library will have info on each of these islands.

I completely agree with this poster! Several folks here said they didn't like St. Thomas. We happened to LOVE St. Thomas! It is absolutely gorgeous! We did the S. Caribbean last year and we loved every port except Dominica, which is the island that so many other people love. It just didn't have anything and we were very bored on the tour we took. We were gone for 6 hours and spent 4 of those hours riding just to get places.

Do some research, check out some pictures and reviews. Besides, you can always do one this year and do the other one next time.:)

The only good thing about St Thomas is the bargain shopping, but Philipsburg offers similar value & a much more laid-back & "Caribbean" shopping experience.

St Kitts is very limited.

Aruba is Florida. Dutch only in name. Tourist beaches with all the toys, modern shopping malls & 99% of the shops seem to be jewellers.

Curacao is super. But it's the only good one of the four.

Barbados - gives lots of options, the whole west coast has great beaches, east coast is wild (no swimming), bustling Bridgetown, inland options.

St Lucia - a super trip by land or sea (or combo) to the drive-in volcano, beach choices of touristy (Redoubt beach) or quiet palm-fringed (Choc beach) both a short taxi ride from the ship. Castries itself is a dump, otherwise a great island.

Antigua - a drive to Shirley Heights & Nelson's dockyard. And/or a choice of 365 beaches. St Johns itself is a dump.

St Maarten - a drive to the french side then either Orient beach (most popular) or Philipsburg shopping (beach behind the shops) & watertaxi back to the ship, or Maho beach, mainly for

Sorry, don't know St Croix.

So, another vote for itinerary No. 2

But bear in mind TracyAnn's advice

JB :)

I`ve sailed twice on Caribbean cruises and have been in much of the ports you have to choose from .

In both cruises you have awesome shopping ports (St. Thomas, St. Maarten)

I have been in St. Kitts. No much to do there.

I have been in St. Lucia too and had one of the best shore excursions of my life. One guy called "Cosol" (Cosol Tours, check it at tripadvisor) takes you all around the island showing you the best of St Lucia in 4-5 hours (food & drinks included).

Barbados and Antigua have great beaches and shopping too.

Another vote for OPTION 2

Nicholas II

2007 Carnival Freedom Grand Mediterranean

2009 Carnival Victory South Caribbean

2011 Carnival Valor Exotic West Caribbean

Hello!

The itinerary that has the most things I would rather do/see is the itinerary I would pick. If you still can't decide just flip a coin (seriously).

Since you have never been to the Caribbean or on a cruise, either one would be fine in my opinion. Islands other people prefer, you may not like as much and vice versa. You won't really know though until you cruise at least once.

Congrats on your marriage and enjoy!

Both itinaries are fantastic and I would agree that it all depends on your choices of avtivities. You can go on the cruise line web site to see what shore excursions they offer and what interest you guys. As for myself, I like to do my own research so I like books a lot 'cause I can take notes etc. The ones that I like is : The complete guide to Caribbean Cruises

(Fodor's)

Fodor's Caribbean Ports of Calls 2011

Frommer's Caribbean Ports of call

They are really cheap on Amazon and they explain every ports of calls , where the ship docks, facilities,excursions, best thing to see etc...

Congrats on your wedding!!! Happy life together:):)

I'd choose #2 also, partly because, though I like St. Thomas, we've been there so many times. We've also been to Curacao and Aruba several times.

I've also been to all the other islands except St. Croix, but I'd like to see St. Lucia and Antigua again as we've only been to those once. I think we've been to St. Kitt, but I'm not sure!

I've been to Barbadoes twice, once long ago and again a few years ago. The last time we just walked around the city, which was a mistake as there isn't much of interest there--go to a beach or do a tour.

However, we love our seadays, and #2 looks like it is very port intensive, so if sea days are important to you, #1 probably has an extra sea day.

Archived