Quantum - Formal Nights - Captains Table

FUN33

Just curious. Are there any designated Formal Nights on Quantum or are Formal Nights now a thing of the past? Has the Captains table for 10 that was usually utilized on Formal Nights also been discontinued? Does the Captain (or some other senior officer) still assemble a table for 10 two to three nights a cruise or has that tradition also been discontinued? How about Tuxedos and Formal Dresses - are these worn on Quantum or do you just look out of place?

Just curious. Are there any designated Formal Nights on Quantum or are Formal Nights now a thing of the past? Has the Captains table for 10 that was usually utilized on Formal Nights also been discontinued? Does the Captain (or some other senior officer) still assemble a table for 10 two to three nights a cruise or has that tradition also been discontinued? How about Tuxedos and Formal Dresses - are these worn on Quantum or do you just look out of place?

I think it's too early to tell what traditions, if any, will be continued on Quantum. However, there are no designated formal nights on ships with Dynamic Dining.

While onboard quantum last week, a ships officer, not the Captain, was hosting a large table in Grande.

No tuxes that I could see, but they say "formal" means a collared shirt for men and dressy tops for women. They were not enforcing even that dress code. I did hear that once the regular sailings start(with the inaugural that started Sunday) they would enforce the dress code. Perhaps someone onboard now can confirm.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

They were requiring the men to wear jackets on the 3 night sampler. When I was there I didn't see any tuxes or gowns, but that doesn't mean there were none. The restaurant has low lights and once people are seated, it's hard to see what they had on. Most of the women I saw had on fancy blouses or sweaters, or street length dresses. Nothing I would consider formal.

On the Quantum TA sailing there were a great deal of formally dressed couples and many tuxedos almost every night of the sailing.

On the current sailings where they have had a large number of VIP guests and a large number of Pinnacle and high level C&A members, where a dinner with an officer is expected, they were probably very busy.

Interestingly on the Oasis TA where they have converted the dining room, yet not started with Dynamic Dining, when I asked who was seated at the large table at the entrance to Silk with a central balcony setting overlooking American Icon, the hostess stated that they had designated that as the Captains table. I never saw it occupied on the 13 night TA sailing.

The staff at the Coastal Kitchen were very proud of the fact that the Captain dined every meal with them, but I am not sure if that is the case as I never personally saw him there.

When a member of the group I was sitting with in the Diamond lounge was asked by the Captain if there was anything he could do, they asked directly, "I would like to be seated at the Captains Table one night. He responded, "I have so many Pinnacle member onboard this cruise that I do not think I can make that happen'

We're were on the three night sampler and the two nights previous. On the 3 night sampler there were men in Grande in t shirts and jeans, and some others without jackets. I am not doubting what you saw, but I know what we saw, and we had a discussion about the dress code with the two women (who were very nicely dressed) at the next table

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

supposed to be only the Grande restaurant, as formal always, every night,

this on the website..

"The ship's true formal restaurant.

(Rather than having formal nights, Quantum will have only 1 formal restaurant.)

The menu is inspired by classic dishes once served on European liners.

Options include chateaubriand wellington & chicken a l'orange.

The Grande will offer timeless dishes to diners clad in elegant evening wear.

Lobster lovers take note: the popular crustacean will be available every night"

but if people are allowed in wearing tshirts and jeans,:mad: why do they even bother..

Edited by jannandjohn

Totally NOT surprised men in t-shirts and jeans were permitted in Grande.

Unfortunately RCI has a very long history of making many rules but enforcing almost none of them (unless another passenger makes a major scene about the infraction) - but even then there is less than a 50-50 chance the rule will be enforced.

For example: Children in the first 3 rows of the theater, babies in diapers in the hot tubs, underage teenagers getting drunk on board, saving chairs in the theater or around the pool area, smoking on balconies, flash photography in the theater during a performance, people using equipment in the gym for more than 20 minutes while others are waiting to use the same equipment.

Totally NOT surprised men in t-shirts and jeans were permitted in Grande.

Unfortunately RCI has a very long history of making many rules but enforcing almost none of them (unless another passenger makes a major scene about the infraction) - but even then there is less than a 50-50 chance the rule will be enforced.

For example: Children in the first 3 rows of the theater, babies in diapers in the hot tubs, underage teenagers getting drunk on board, saving chairs in the theater or around the pool area, smoking on balconies, flash photography in the theater during a performance, people using equipment in the gym for more than 20 minutes while others are waiting to use the same equipment.

I agree with the dress code situation. I hate going into the MDR on a formal night and seeing full families dressed in shorts and a tshirt. I really wish they would enforce their dress codes.

As far as teens getting drunk, I was definitely among that group 6ish years back. We would sneak alcohol on in Listerine bottles and drink it throughout the cruise. I don't think its the end of the world when a college kid over 18, under 21 gets drunk, but when its younger its bad news for the cruise line. In fact, up until a few months before my 18th birthday there was a waiver allowing 18 year olds to drink beer and wine freely.

I also have offended the balcony smoking rule, but as far as I'm concerned you should be able to use your balcony for that keeping in mind fire safety as well as waste/butt disposal.