CoCo Cay?

saltyswife

Over the month or so, has ship been able to visit CoCo Cay? I know back a while ago, the tenders weren't having good luck getting in.

I believe Majesty just missed Coco Cay a day or two ago.

Getting into Coco Cay cannot be predicted based on the calendar or past history. We have had 75% luck getting to the island and have been returned to the ship early on some of those occasions.

The tender operation is under the control of the RCCL Island Manager who determines if they can safely negotiate the cut into and out of the docks during adverse weather conditions.

The cruise ships sometimes are not able to anchor there due to high tides and or winds. Little Stirrup Key the real name for Coco Cay is in open ocean and has no protection from storms and squalls in the area. Just nature doing what it does.

During the week as hurricane Arthur was forming to head North Coco Cay was not used by Enchantment. They spent two night in Nassau from what friends have told me.

Does the NCL private island, Great Stirrup Cay have the same issue since its so close?

Yes, exactly the same issues. (I assume that you know, but others may not, that Coco Cay is actually Little Stirrup Cay).

:)

Over the month or so, has ship been able to visit CoCo Cay? I know back a while ago, the tenders weren't having good luck getting in.

I believe Majesty just missed Coco Cay a day or two ago.

Before March 2014, I was 100% successful at Coco Cay, and that's A LOT of times.

Explorer, March 2014. Missed Coco Cay.

Grandeur, last week. (July 1) - Hurricane Arthur - missed CoCo Cay. (and was seasick for the first time. Cabin all the way forward. Ruh roh. :eek: :o )

On Enchantment this past Christmas season it got very rough. The tenders stayed together during disembarking to keep the swells away from the unloading vessel.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/S14Kcd2Bv5pDKNer2XyGXiR3ESErZDcvU0kzJCG3swQ=w414-h311-p-no

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/HtW08FtaWHlTi6mxLxJFOkI1esbuli9KySQruvWLdy0=w414-h311-p-no

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/Pc4dFR93oMcVcMgEsBS4UrihbkeUsF-SOI6_WbBw5hQ=w414-h311-p-no

Rick and Deirdra

Strangely enough I have been wondering the same thing myself. We are due to go there in November and with the 'hit and miss' possibility of tendering I have pretty much resigned myself to not going but anything else would be a good bonus :D

In the last year and a half, 16 times, without a miss, the Enchantment has gotten us to, and on, Coco Cay. Three times in that period the Freedom has missed/bypassed Coco - not a single hit - when we were on her. I'm sure there is some kind of physics law at play here, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Edited by Tagsalong

Strangely enough I have been wondering the same thing myself. We are due to go there in November and with the 'hit and miss' possibility of tendering I have pretty much resigned myself to not going but anything else would be a good bonus :D

Hi, Mary!

We made it to Coco Cay in February, but the weather was horrible, and they cleared the island very early. The people on the last few tenders had some trouble getting back. I don't do tender islands, since I have balance issues and just don't feel safe getting onto a small boat rocking in the water--especially when that water is rough. It's one thing that I like better about Disney cruises. Their island is a docking port. I haven't been to Labadee yet.

Beth

Hi, Mary!

We made it to Coco Cay in February, but the weather was horrible, and they cleared the island very early. The people on the last few tenders had some trouble getting back. I don't do tender islands, since I have balance issues and just don't feel safe getting onto a small boat rocking in the water--especially when that water is rough. It's one thing that I like better about Disney cruises. Their island is a docking port. I haven't been to Labadee yet.

Beth

Hi Beth :D

That doesn't sound like the best of experiences! I think from reading what others have put that the larger the ship the more chance of it being cancelled but not sure if that is actually the rule of thumb. With my stick I would struggle if it was rough as well. I just have to hope the weather will be good but if it isn't I will enjoy a day on board. I will be on holiday and am laid back about these things. I fancied experiencing a cabana but I can be patient if I have to be!

Yes, the grand kids were quite disappointed, especially since this was their first cruise and they had never snorkeled before.

Otherwise it was a good trip.

Also wanted to say that we enjoyed the Meet-And-Mingle. It was the first time that I was made aware that you have to register on RCL's page, not Cruise Critic. That's why they couldn't find our names.

Greetings to all,

Marion/doggysuds

Somewhat off topic but do they run the same number of tenders for small ships like Majesty as they do for big ships like Freedom and (soon) Quantum?

Just wondering if wait time relatively short to get on a tender on smaller ship if they've added tenders b/c bigger ships now port there.

anyone try the jet ski excursion on Coco Cay? it's $95 for an hour, which is expensive but I want to do it of I can cruise around for an hour. Never used one before, its on the bucket list.

So much fun...do it!!!

Traci

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have a question, if RCL does not stop in Coco Cay, and it is part of the itinerary, do they do something for the passengers? I'm not talking necessary a refund, but maybe something like a free specialty restaurant dinner or something. I know that RCL doesn't control the weather and can't predict any problems that they might have, but with weather forecasting the way it is today, they could have somewhat of an idea of what the weather will be like when they are heading that way. Have they ever stopped at another island because they couldn't get to Coco Cay?