The Green Flash

Emdee

I have! When I lived in Micronesia I rented a ramshackle beach house that faced west. I saw the green flash many times...although there was often a cumulus cloud lurking that would block the actual sun setting moment, so it wasn't an everyday occurrence.

Saw it once in Hawaii. Didn't even realize what it was till I read A Pale Flash of Green by John McDonald.

We are surprised you have only seen it once since your location is listed as Maui. We live Upcountry here on Maui (western slope of Mt. Haleakala) and see it quite often when the sun finally disappears into the ocean on a clear day.

We are surprised you have only seen it once since your location is listed as Maui. We live Upcountry here on Maui (western slope of Mt. Haleakala) and see it quite often when the sun finally disappears into the ocean on a clear day.

Some catamarans doing a Sunset Excursion have special Green Splash shooters for when we were to have seen the "Green Flash". About all we have seen at this point have been the shooters. :D

LuLu

We go to Maui for about 2 months each winter. Some years, we see a green flash day after day. Other years, only once in a while. I note it on my calendar. We try to be at the beach at sunset, as it is such a pleasant way to wind down the day. :)

I have never seen the Green Flash. Tried to see it a few time but to no avail!

How many of you have seen it... any pictures?

Here is a thumbnail. Let me see if I can find the full-size image:

7375871328_da4ebb7ec6_s.jpg

Edited by MotuIslander

Green Flash from Paul Gauguin. July 2010.

Wow - thanks for sharing!! It's something I've always wanted to see, and haven't yet. Nice to know it doesn't have to be a clear sky, which is something I had read.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Emdee, for posting your interesting question.

I have just recently discovered this forum while Googling various questions about my future cruise to the Society Islands.

Looking for the Green Flash never occurred to me prior to noticing your post. Now it will be a daily ritual to be on the lookout for it, with camera aimed and pre-set to the optimum settings. What a delightful new quest!

7375871328_da4ebb7ec6_z.jpg

Green Flash from Paul Gauguin. July 2010.

MotuIslander, what a fantastic picture! Was it the result of a relatively good camera on Auto setting? Would you share you camera settings, etc. if not Auto?

MotuIslander, what a fantastic picture! Was it the result of a relatively good camera on Auto setting? Would you share you camera settings, etc. if not Auto?

Thanks for the flowers!

This was shot with:

Nikon D300

300.0 mm f/4.0

Exposure ƒ/8.0, 1/250sec ISO 200

I have a battery grip that allows the camera to shoot at 8 frames per second, which is about the easiest way to capture the green flash (I have about 50 frames before and after this shot that are not QUITE the money shot).

This frame was taken a fraction of a second before the sun winked below the cloud.

~Motu~

Edited by MotuIslander

Thank you very much for that level of detail.

I will be sailing on the Paul Gauguin in a few months and will make every effort to see and photograph the Green Flash. I haven't used my camera's multiple shots per second feature, but will start practicing. Thanks again.

• 5 weeks later...

On a two week trip to Kauai, Hawaii a couple of years ago we had an ocean front condo on the third floor at The Cliffs in Princeville and I would set up the cameras on our lanai almost every evening trying to capture a photo of the "Green Flash". I really didn't understand much about the event as another guest at the condos had told us about the phenomenon the day after we had arrived. On the eighth day of the trip luck smiled on us, finally a sunset with no clouds on the horizon.

First and most important there can be no clouds on the horizon where the sky meets the ocean and for me at least it was best to use a tripod with the camera set on burst. Just as the sun descends behind the curve of the earth is when the green flash occurs and it only last a split second - luck and perfect timing are everything. Also for us we didn't actually see the flash and both of us were focused on it, but when I checked the camera I had captured 5 pics of the Flash. Four were green with the fifth having a purple tint. I guess some people see the green flash with the naked eye but so far not me.

6aa3a9e0-02a7-4aec-8f53-ac83bdd22332_zpsd5fe4af4.jpg

Kauai2011-Nikon-lighthouse-coffee-sunsets419_zps68927c73.jpg

ee94a284-4633-45bf-8b4c-9ce0189819ee_zps0707e712.jpg

Thank you very much for sharing these beautiful pictures. I like purple afterglow, it's extraordinary also.

Yes, I'm sure a tripod is a must, which I REALLY didn't want to pack. Now, however, I'm looking for very light weight and not too bulky tripod. I've even considered a monopod, but don't think that would be the best choice for attempts at the green flash sunset (or night sky).

Hope I'll be as lucky as you were.