NCL Star refurbishment

RMS Olympic

My understanding is that the Star is going into dry dock in March of this year. I have her booked for Feb 2016, and am anxious to see what is being done to her. The NCL website speaks of ship upgrades to include redesign of public spaces during ship upgrades. Will this Star refurbishment be just a re-carpet and re-upholstery refresh or a redesign to give her a more contemporary look in keeping with the new builds? If the price for this work is about 30 million, considering mechanical work perhaps upgrades will be limited.

Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated.

I hope she will look like a new shiny penny as I will be on the ESCAPE in Nov 2015 only 2 1/2 months before the Star.....I'd hate to experience a big let down regardless of the size and layout of a much older ship.

Thanks for any thoughts.

PS...sailed the Getaway in Nov, service and food was great recharging my desire to continue sailing NCL. Hope service and food is similar on the Star.

Tom

Will this Star refurbishment be just a re-carpet and re-upholstery refresh or a redesign to give her a more contemporary look in keeping with the new builds?

1. Yes, so: 2. No.

They will only do minor design changes during the dry dock, transforming old ships to look internally like new builds would take a lot more time and money than allotted - they need to refurbish/update a lot of things that are not visible to passengers too.

Based upon what was done to the Jewel, and from what I have heard regarding the Star dry dock on other posts, this is my best guess as to the interior work:

There will be the standard carpet refreshing and upholstery replacement for sure.

Some things you can count on: Blue Lagoon/Moderno space located on deck 8 currently will be transformed into O'Sheehans Bar and Grill...

Moderno will occupy the Cagneys overflow/Star bar area. Replacing the Star bar will be Sugarcanes Mojito bar... Suite passengers will now enjoy the breakfast and lunches in the Moderno area. Check out the layout for the Jewel for an idea of what to expect...

You can expect the wifi systems and touch screens that are popular on newer ships to be implemented. Photo gallery should be converted to the new style.

Recent dry docks on other ships have done overhauls of some of the older suites to refresh their decor, I would imagine this would happen here as well.

Once again, this is my best guess based upon information available...

My understanding is that the Star is going into dry dock in March of this year. I have her booked for Feb 2016, and am anxious to see what is being done to her. The NCL website speaks of ship upgrades to include redesign of public spaces during ship upgrades. Will this Star refurbishment be just a re-carpet and re-upholstery refresh or a redesign to give her a more contemporary look in keeping with the new builds? If the price for this work is about 30 million, considering mechanical work perhaps upgrades will be limited.

Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated.

I hope she will look like a new shiny penny as I will be on the ESCAPE in Nov 2015 only 2 1/2 months before the Star.....I'd hate to experience a big let down regardless of the size and layout of a much older ship.

Thanks for any thoughts.

PS...sailed the Getaway in Nov, service and food was great recharging my desire to continue sailing NCL. Hope service and food is similar on the Star.

Tom

Prepare to be disappointed. The dry dock will be to mainly address hull/engine upgrades. Moderno will move up to deck 12 and some new carpet will be put down. Comparing the brand new Escape to the Star, even after dry dock, will be a huge let down.

Edited by Love my butler

We are booked on the first cruise after the dry dock.

We have a suite. For sure we will be going to Moderno and not Cagneys for breakfast and lunch ?

Patti

It's very likely. The new standard is to use the new Modernos as the suite passenger venue on the Jewel class ships. Same menu, just across the hall.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

Very curious as to what the refurbishments will be on the Star, we're booked for 2016...We are just back from 10 days on the Pearl, (Dec) have been out on the Sun, the Dawn and the Jewel as well...Love to cruise, learning to enjoy NCL more with every cruise we take...Booked a Aft facing suite; 9232) on the Star for 2016 after having only Mini suites in the past...Looking forward to the differences...Love to hear back from any one who knows what is being done while she is in dry dock...There right now, yes...Thanks

Very curious as to what the refurbishments will be on the Star, we're booked for 2016...We are just back from 10 days on the Pearl, (Dec) have been out on the Sun, the Dawn and the Jewel as well...Love to cruise, learning to enjoy NCL more with every cruise we take...Booked a Aft facing suite; 9232) on the Star for 2016 after having only Mini suites in the past...Looking forward to the differences...Love to hear back from any one who knows what is being done while she is in dry dock...There right now, yes...Thanks

Dawn class and Jewel class ships all get the same treatment in the dry dock - standard technical maintenance and the NEXT improvements that include moving Moderno, upgrading Blue Lagoon to O'Sheehan's and expanding it to the other side, etc.

So nothing you wouldn't already have seen on Pearl. :)

Thank you, appreciate the info/update...We were on the Pearl this past Dec for 10 nights down in the Caribbean, great cruise, beautiful ship...One of the best crews we've experienced with NCL, even if we felt that the MDR food was weak at best...Which was a surprise having been out on 4 other cruises with NCL and never experienced such poor service (In the MDR) and tasteless food consistently...Maybe it was a bad cruise or something...???With the UDP I don't have to worry about that anymore...We've enjoyed all the "specialty" restaurants between all the ships and had some great meals in them..I hope they can continue to provide quality tasteful food...We have high hopes for this cruise as we have never stayed in a "suite" before, we were in an aft facing mini suite on the Pearl...Liked that very much...

Rob

Does anyone know if the TVs in the Star cabins (happen to be in a Suite) have a video input for viewing photos from an output capable camera?

I read that there are DVD players in the room, so perhaps there's a chance?

And for anyone with detailed knowledge, would that be composite, component or HDMI input to the TV?

Thanks for any advice.

gary

I was in suite 12012 on the recent Panama Canal trip and the TV had multiple

video and audio jacks on the back side. The DVD was a stand alone type.

I believe the connecting jacks were the component type Red/White/Yellow feeds.

The ships TV channels are on Coax - I don't recall seeing any HDMI or USB jacks.

My recent W Caribbean cruise on the DAWN suite 12030 the TV also had the

connecting jacks in the back and a DVD built into the TV a slot on the right

hand side and it would not play any of my DVDs I brought to view. Win some

and well it happens. I think the playing of DVDs may have something to do

with the ships equipment playing regional disks - I am guessing ?

The DVD would play the ships DVDs available thru the Butler.

Perhaps another CC could give you more detailed info about the connections

and playing of DVDs. I use my laptop as a fall back resort to playing on the

flights getting to the ships port. Airplane movies are cut and edited and don't

have the pluses and extras that my DVDs have.

Edited by don't-use-real-name

Does anyone know if the TVs in the Star cabins (happen to be in a Suite) have a video input for viewing photos from an output capable camera?

I read that there are DVD players in the room, so perhaps there's a chance?

And for anyone with detailed knowledge, would that be composite, component or HDMI input to the TV?

Thanks for any advice.

gary

On the Star in November 2014, I was able to connect my camera to the flat screen TV in an outside cabin. One of the buttons on top changes the input source on the TV. I did not have success using a USB connection, but I got it to work with the RCA jacks.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...