Azamara versus Oceania

Lemailu

Help! It appears that there really isn't an option for a quiet Club Continent Suite!

We have only been on the Quest (twice) and both times were in a Club Continent Suite. Noise was not a factor at any time during our two cruises.

We have only been on the Quest (twice) and both times were in a Club Continent Suite. Noise was not a factor at any time during our two cruises.

Our experience has been the same. No noise problems at all.

• 2 months later...

Brilliant review - and right on.

We have been on both the Azamara ships several times and consider them to be our favourite cruise line. Difficult to choose between them and we tend to go for cruises to places we have not previously been. Next cruise on Quest is to the Far East in January.

As to the food - the MDR is mostly good. I have only ever had one meal which I have sent back (it was overcooked fish). They had no hesitation in bringing a replacement. However we are very disappointed that they are changing the menus in the speciality restaurants. These were ones we really looked forward to and the new menus do not look so good. There is less seafood.

All in all we would cruise with Azamara as often as we can afford. However we would consider Oceana if the ports of call were right.

If people jog you can feel it. i always do .. been woken several times.. you can hear furniture being moved and i know people who do not like being below Windows. So i guess how good is your hearing? i also can hear people in the hall if talking loudly-again your hearing.

I have only done one ) ship and I felt the foood was better on A. the Staff is better on A. newer ships are more soundproof but A has it on officers and crew.

Incidentals

We received free internet minutes on the first leg as well as a free laundry for as much as you could fill the small laundry bag. The laundry came back folded, pressed and on hangers for the shirts. Very nice. I have no idea why we got this free perk. We received an additional 85 free internet minutes on the second leg since we were now part of the Le Club Voyage.

You probably received free internet and laundry, because you had previously earned loyalty points with Celebrity Cruises or Royal Caribbean.

Azamara is an offshoot from Celebrity Cruises so although it operates its own loyalty program, Captain's Club points count towards Azamara's Le Club Voyage - and vice versa. That might change in the future but at the moment, past and future points count towards both loyalty programmes, when you sail with either cruise line.

The tiers on Celebrity and Azamara are:

2 - 149 points = Classic tier with Celebrity / Adventurer tier with Azamara

150 - 299 points = Select tier with Celebrity / Explorer tier with Azamara

300 - 749 points = Elite tier with Celebrity / Discoverer with Azamara

750 - 2999 points = Elite Plus tier with Celebrity / Discoverer Plus with Azamara

3000+ points = Zenith tier with Celebrity / Discoverer Platinum with Azamara

There are also reciprocal benefits between Le Club Voyage and Royal Caribbean's Crown and Anchor Society. Although a Royal Caribbean cruise does not earn points on Azamara or Celebrity (or vice versa), Crown & Anchor members qualify for equivalent status on Azamara, once they have reached one of the higher tiers on Royal Caribbean. See http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/our-ships/le-club-voyage/member-benefits/reciprocal-benefits

Azamara's benefits package will change from January 2015 but even so, their benefits are still more generous than Celebrity. Once you have reached the Explorer tier (Select on Celebrity / Platinum or Emerald on Royal Caribbean), your "goodies" will include:

• a bottle of sparkling wine in your cabin on arrival (until December 2014 only)
  • free Internet minutes (85 minutes per person in 2014 / 60 minutes per person from 2015) and
  • one free bag of laundry, per stateroom, per seven-night voyage.

For full details, see http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/our-ships/le-club-voyage/member-benefits/benefits-glance.

Edited by BobTroll

If people jog you can feel it. i always do .. been woken several times.. you can hear furniture being moved and i know people who do not like being below Windows. So i guess how good is your hearing? i also can hear people in the hall if talking loudly-again your hearing.

It really does depend upon which cabin you are in. Careful analysis of the deck plans to see what is above you (lining up the stairwells on each deck because the deck plans on the website are offset) is a good guide.

Phil

Hi,

I took 8 cruises on Oceania, and have taken 7 on Azamara,(with 3 more planned.) My last cruise on "O" was on the Marina. I found the furniture to be uncomfortable and too big and awkward to arrange so people could sit together in a group if they wanted. The lines at the Grill were always long, with people acting like they had never had steak or lobster before and being somewhat aggressive; the tables on the Terrace were so close together you were practically sitting at the next table, whether you wanted to or not--if you could find a table, that is. The Barista (coffee) area was very small and did not provide for or encourage convivial gatherings like you get on Azamara, and it was right by the library, which interfered with the atmosphere of the Library. And I got tired of being nickle and dimed to death for things that were free on Azamara. But those aren't the only reasons I quit sailing Oceania. The review by Terrier 1 really sums up the reasons I prefer Azamara. I think there is a real difference between the 2 lines. MHO

Great review Terrier! We were on the 1st leg of your journey :)

I wouldn't hesitate going on Azamara again for the right price and itinerary. We really enjoyed staying later in port and over nighting - definitely added to the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Each line tries to offer a package that appeals to customers. Whatever is more important to you, you choose one over the other.

I think that's an excellent way of looking at it. Everyone's preferences vary and what might suit me on a ship someone else could give 2 cents about. It's all a matter of finding out/researching "your" perfect ship...then booking it!

I think that's an excellent way of looking at it. Everyone's preferences vary and what might suit me on a ship someone else could give 2 cents about. It's all a matter of finding out/researching "your" perfect ship...then booking it!

bottom line officers and crew.. They know who you are and care about you

This is so true. It is all down to personal preference. In case anyone's interested, I've just posted our views of our recent first Oceania cruise on the Oceania forum. In a nutshell, we loved the Oceania experience and found it very similar to Azamara. Some things we loved about Oceania and others we prefer on Azamara, not least the ambience and feeling of being 'at home' with the friendly officers and crew, as Ellbon rightly says.

Newbie question: Oceania's ship are much larger than Azamara, yes?

I'm booked in an ocean club suite aboard the Aug 11, 2016 Nowegian Fjords cruise. If all goes well, that will be our third cruise preceded by a Regent cruise of the Caribbean in Jan 2015 and a Silversea cruise of Brazil and the Amazon in Nov 2015 I am betting we are smaller-ship cruisers.

Newbie question: Oceania's ship are much larger than Azamara, yes?

I'm booked in an ocean club suite aboard the Aug 11, 2016 Nowegian Fjords cruise. If all goes well, that will be our third cruise preceded by a Regent cruise of the Caribbean in Jan 2015 and a Silversea cruise of Brazil and the Amazon in Nov 2015 I am betting we are smaller-ship cruisers.

Oceania's new ships i think have 1200 guests.. you will love Norway... i found Regent stuffy... but i was on the smallest ship.

We were on one of the two "bigger" ships, and it was stuffy, too. Senior officers virtually invisible.

I never saw anyone-ever.. dead at night too.. i did do the then new Marina. i felt the same thing there. best thing was the cabins-large and new.. i look at other small lines for newest or size of cabin but no wherre do i get "officers' who call me by name and hug me.

I am not sure I understand the last part- To be a partisan you have to be loyal.. The person you were quoting is not loyal yet as he/she never cruise this line nor the other two lines. I sailed several lines and choose this line above the others at this stage of my life. one winter i tried 3 cruise lines and came back to here.. What brought me back was the Captain and HD - they are still running the ship.

Robin, there are a lot of us who would agree with you on this very thing! There is such a feeling of genuine warmth among captain, crew, and passengers on the two Azamara ships. I honestly don't know how some people could find that off-putting so thank goodness there are other cruise lines out there for them to go on and be happy. I'm quite content with my warm and fuzzy Azamara and hope it never changes.

Robin, there are a lot of us who would agree with you on this very thing! There is such a feeling of genuine warmth among captain, crew, and passengers on the two Azamara ships. I honestly don't know how some people could find that off-putting so thank goodness there are other cruise lines out there for them to go on and be happy. I'm quite content with my warm and fuzzy Azamara and hope it never changes.

Thank you Deirdre. I went back on the JR after two years and several crew knew me. Naturally from a bar or wine dinners. Will be back summer of 2016. Plus hugs fromThomas and others. Either ship is my second home. Bet you will be homesick on RCI. I love the S class cabins but I miss theTLC.