Azamara versus Oceania

Lemailu

Just back from Oceania Istanbul to Athens. I will write a review on the. Oceania board but thought I would add my thoughts here.

We have sailed on Azamara three times. Riviera is a larger ship therefore this is not a like for like comparison.

I liked:

Larger bathroom with separate shower and bath.

Lovely bed, linen and towels.

Speciality restaurants except Polo which was dreadful.

The Terrace buffet and grill with excellent service.

The milk shakes and smoothies.

Afternoon tea, except scones should have clotted not whipped cream, which is being rather picky.

We have seen all the Azamara shows so it was great to see 3 new shows. Young and enthusiastic staff.

Horizons band. Luckily there were two Incentive groups on board which meant this venue stayed lively until at least midnight.

I disliked:

We had variable weather including one evening when the sick bags we're in evidence. We had no information from the Captain, or anyone else, regarding the severity or likely length of the storm. I missed the daily chats and updates from the Captain and Cruise Director.

The demographic was the oldest of any cruise I have been on. Their demeanour was often grumpy and I disliked the way some spoke to the staff in the buffet and bars.

Main dining room

The location of Baristas coffee.

Reception staff unsmiling and unhelpful.

I missed:

The fun of White Night.

The Azamazing evening

The Azamara CDs who actually perform and actively participate.

Refreshment and smiling staff when returning to the ship.

I would certainly cruise on Oceania again and would probably prefer the smaller ships. But given equal itineraries and price I would choose Azamara.

I would totally agree with you Mrs Miggins. The Oceania ships are beautiful but we found the CD and entertainment poor on our Marina cruise. Nearly the whole ship went to bed by 10:30 pm and there were lots of elderly grumpy people on our cruise too! Officers, especially the Captain and CD, were invisible. Loved our beautiful suite and the food was great, especially the wonderful afternoon tea and Red Ginger. Polo was OK but the steaks weren't as good as Prime C, in my opinion anyway.

I missed the fun and dancing, White Night, Mosaic cafe ( who else thinks the location of Barista's coffee shop is terrible?) the wonderful Azamara CD's and Captain Carl's chats at midday and most of all, the smiling, happy Azamara crew and lots of friendly, interesting passengers.

I will probably sail with Oceania again next year but just like you, if price and itinerary are similar then Azamara will always be my first choice. It's so good to have the choices though. :)

A very nice and long review and in fairness I see you put it on both AZ and O board. I have taken 2 on AZ and 2 on O (although O was on Riviera which is larger). I will consider AZ again, but only if they go into drydock for much needed

upgrading. I do like their itineraries. To be fair about fellow passengers on each, my DH and I are private people and do not socialize much. Therefore, O suits us as we feel the passengers are more reserved and very much like members of an affluent country club. We are also very active and have enjoyed paddle tennis, working on golf swing and putting on the green for fun on O. We love the Terrace and being able to sit outside and enjoy a casual dinner after a long day of touring. The grill station with the lobster tails, shrimp, steak etc. cannot be beat on any cruise line we have been on. We have now decided that O is closest to "Luxury" and that is where we are headed in terms of cruise choices. We are also trying Regent for this purpose and another O to Alaska this May. We are far from stuffy, just quiet and reserved and much younger than most. (I have exact review on O board for fairness to all )

Hummm never thought Regent was stuffy.....some of the nicest people I have ever met, I meet onboard a Regent cruise!

I don't recall anyone saying there were no very nice people on Regent, but the atmosphere is "stuffy" compared with Azamara, in my opinion, and apparently in ellbon's, too. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Hummm never thought Regent was stuffy.....some of the nicest people I have ever met, I meet onboard a Regent cruise!

I don't recall anyone saying there were no very nice people on Regent, but the atmosphere is "stuffy" compared with Azamara, in my opinion, and apparently in ellbon's, too. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Well, I've not been on Azamara, but I've never found Regent to be stuffy, after 10 cruises. I did find Oceania Riviera a titch stuffy and formal, staff not quite so friendly, nor the passengers, come to that.

I very much want to try Azamara, but haven't found a good itinerary yet.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Robin, there are a lot of us who would agree with you on this very thing! There is such a feeling of genuine warmth among captain, crew, and passengers on the two Azamara ships. I honestly don't know how some people could find that off-putting so thank goodness there are other cruise lines out there for them to go on and be happy. I'm quite content with my warm and fuzzy Azamara and hope it never changes.

Well said, Deirdre and I agree 100%. How someone could be put off by a wonderful ship, captain and crew is beyond me. We share our true experiences....isn't that what cruise critic is for?

i look at other small lines for newest or size of cabin but no wherre do i get "officers' who call me by name and hug me.

Robin, I know that you spend many weeks on Azamara and I'm not surprised that the officers and crew know you well, as they should. But for the one voyage a year customer, we did not find the familiarity that I read about on CC. Before our first voyage I read about everyone knowing your name and I had unrealistic expectations. The only person that called us by name was our steward and butler on the first cruise. I agree that officers were very visible and friendly with a smile and hello in passing, but never by name. Second trip on Quest was pretty much the same. We received much more personal attention from the Concierges on Royal and NCL than Azamara. But the small ship, itineraries, and late times in ports are what brought us to Azamara and will keep us looking at Azamara for our vacations.

My reasoning for posting is that I don't want someone new to Azamara to be disappointed as we were on our first cruise.

Robin, I know that you spend many weeks on Azamara and I'm not surprised that the officers and crew know you well, as they should. But for the one voyage a year customer, we did not find the familiarity that I read about on CC. Before our first voyage I read about everyone knowing your name and I had unrealistic expectations. The only person that called us by name was our steward and butler on the first cruise. I agree that officers were very visible and friendly with a smile and hello in passing, but never by name. Second trip on Quest was pretty much the same. We received much more personal attention from the Concierges on Royal and NCL than Azamara. But the small ship, itineraries, and late times in ports are what brought us to Azamara and will keep us looking at Azamara for our vacations.

My reasoning for posting is that I don't want someone new to Azamara to be disappointed as we were on our first cruise.

I can see exactly where you are coming from. I'd also add that for some the personal recognition might be a turn off. Let's face it. We all want a bit of anonymity at times. Thing with Azamara is you show warmth to the crew and you are sure to get something back. It might be a chat to one of the Guest Relations staff when you have an issue, a conversation with one of the officers in Mosaic or a simple hello in the buffet to one of the wait staff. Whatever you do you will always get engagement from them. I truly look forward to getting back on the ship and seeing familiar faces. Oh, and they remember you for one of two reasons. One, if you are a nice passenger or two, if you are a PITA. Take your pick;)

Phil

i agree that no one knew my name in 2010 but i did notice that the Captain and CD walked around at night-from the restairants and coffee bar. bartenders knew what drinks i liked after one day.. i have been lucky to have one room attandant 3 times and 2 butlers twice. as i went from JR to Quest back to JR two bartenders and a few waiters knew me from 2 years ago.. The officers do know me and others as we have done so many cruises. at least you can say they are around compared to O. I sailed on marina and loved the cabin and service. hated Polo and the nightclub was ok.. really do not remember the people at all.

Great post - when I was teaching very large groups you only ever remembered the top 10% and the bottom or most annoying or troublesome 30% - I would hate to be remembered for being in the latter

This is a useful point to raise for new Azamara cruisers. Folks on the Crystal forum make a similar point about the personal service on that line, but on our first (and so far only) Crystal cruise we found that these expectations were not met. No one learned our names -- even our cabin attendants (despite having experienced that on every other cruise line). It didn't ruin the cruise, but it was a major departure from the "Crystal experience" we were led to expect.

Luckily there are plenty of other things that have been described on Azamara that we look forward to, and that don't seem to depend on one's veteran status. In particular, a Captain who keeps you informed about what's happening -- or likely to happen -- would be novel and very much appreciated.

Just back from Oceania Istanbul to Athens. I will write a review on the. Oceania board but thought I would add my thoughts here.

We have sailed on Azamara three times. Riviera is a larger ship therefore this is not a like for like comparison.

I liked:

Larger bathroom with separate shower and bath.

Lovely bed, linen and towels.

Speciality restaurants except Polo which was dreadful.

The Terrace buffet and grill with excellent service.

The milk shakes and smoothies.

Afternoon tea, except scones should have clotted not whipped cream, which is being rather picky.

We have seen all the Azamara shows so it was great to see 3 new shows. Young and enthusiastic staff.

Horizons band. Luckily there were two Incentive groups on board which meant this venue stayed lively until at least midnight.

I disliked:

We had variable weather including one evening when the sick bags we're in evidence. We had no information from the Captain, or anyone else, regarding the severity or likely length of the storm. I missed the daily chats and updates from the Captain and Cruise Director.

The demographic was the oldest of any cruise I have been on. Their demeanour was often grumpy and I disliked the way some spoke to the staff in the buffet and bars.

Main dining room

The location of Baristas coffee.

Reception staff unsmiling and unhelpful.

I missed:

The fun of White Night.

The Azamazing evening

The Azamara CDs who actually perform and actively participate.

Refreshment and smiling staff when returning to the ship.

I would certainly cruise on Oceania again and would probably prefer the smaller ships. But given equal itineraries and price I would choose Azamara.

Pam,

I found your observations very helpful as I am actively considering Oceania in 2015 when Quest is chartered for a long period.

There are things I would enjoy on Riviera and Marina which look like beautiful ships like the larger bathrooms and afternoon tea.

But it appears from your and others comments that the ship is generally quiet after 10.30 and the crew is less engaged which I would find rather alien.

And while none of us know what our fellow passengers will be like until we are on board, I have always met delightful people and made many friends on all of my Azamara voyages.

But if I find an interesting itinerary or a good deal think I will give O a try. But my sense is that A may be a better fit for me.

I totally agree with all of the above comments and after 5 Azamara cruises and one on Oceania Nautica Azamara would definitely be our cruise line of choice.

There was nothing that we could say that we didn't enjoy about Oceania it just 'wasn't Azamara'

With this in mind we planned to do an Azamara for a cruise next Autumn. However, when we compared it with a similar cruise on Marina we found the Oceania option significantly cheaper! In fact £2,300 for a balcony cabin. We compared cruise only prices. OK Azamara is one day longer, has inclusive drinks(we are only wine with dinner people) and some internet, it has an Amazing evening and longer in ports although Oceania stay till 8pm in some.

As far as we are concerned Oceania are the best option for us at the moment!

In case you missed this balanced review on the O board:

Thoughts on our first Oceania cruise by Azamara fans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As promised, some views on our first Oceania cruise after 9 on Azamara. The cruise was from Istanbul to Athens on the Riviera. As far as the ship itself is concerned, as Mrs Miggins on our Roll Call has said, you can't really make a true comparison between the Oceania Riviera and Azamara's 'R' ships. We need to try one of Oceania's 'R' ships to achieve that. Any comments are, of course, just personal opinions and not intended to be criticisms of either ship. So much is down to personal taste. We found our way around the ship quite easily as the layout is on the whole similar to the 'R' ships but on a larger scale (i.e. Horizons/Looking Glass, Terrace Cafe/Windows, swimming pool area).

We thought the Riviera was a beautiful ship, opulent in decor, clean and in very good condition throughout. We particularly loved the crystal chandeliers! Some of the modern artwork wasn't to our personal taste. The public areas were lovely, particularly the Grand Dining Room and it's beautiful circular crystal chandelier, the Grand Bar with it's high gloss marble floor and comfy sofas and the atrium which were all very elegant and tastefully decorated. One of our favourite places to sit with a cocktail was in the Grand Bar listening to the string quartet (nothing like this on Azamara now they have dispensed with the harpist). We sampled the tea up in Horizons twice which was a delightful experience with a fabulous selection of sandwiches, scones and cakes - hard to exercise some restraint so as not to spoil dinner! We haven't actually partaken of the tea in the Looking Glass on Azamara but have tried the scones delivered by our butler on the one occasion we had a suite on Azamara and thought they were better than those on the Riviera (our personal preference).

On Riviera we were in a verandah cabin, Room 7108 with a very large, open corner balcony. Our cabin steward kindly obtained two loungers for us and it would have been lovely to spend more time out there if a) the weather had been better (no one's fault!) and b) had there not been an almost constant smell of cigarette smoke out there, stronger sometimes than others. This was reported to the Reception desk who were very appreciative of being informed and said that another cabin nearby had reported the same thing. A security man came up and had a look round outside but it is obviously difficult to pinpoint the origin. Can't help thinking it must have been escaping from a vent somewhere or being carried round the ship by the wind as it happened too often to be someone smoking illicitly on their balcony.

The room was lovely, a little wider than an Azamara verandah cabin and the bathroom was much larger than on Azamara with a separate shower cubicle and bath tub (which you only get in a suite on Azamara). Not wishing to go into too much detail (and being rather 'picky' here) we did find the loo roll a bit hard to reach as you had to twist backwards slightly to reach it! We don't think there is much to choose between the beds on both ships. Both are extremely comfortable although the mattress topper on Oceania adds a little softness.

We ate in each of the four speciality restaurants and decided that Toscana and the Polo Grill were our favourites, the food comparable in quality to Aquilina and Prime C on Azamara. We ate dinner in the Grand Dining Room twice and in the Terrace Cafe once. We found the food in all venues very good with a wide selection in the Terrace Cafe, probably a little more choice than on Azamara. The salmon en croute at lunchtime was delicious, as was the caramelised lemon tart but there were no mini fruit tarts, lemon meringue tarts etc. which we love on Azamara. Ice creams on both ships are very good. Our only criticism of the Terrace Cafe was that the food was not hot enough, probably because the plates were either cold or barely warm. We did miss the freshly squeezed orange juice at breakfast that you get on Azamara - although it is "100% freshly squeezed orange juice" from a machine on Riviera, it isn't the same as having the juice from oranges squeezed freshly that morning. We thought the food in Oceania's Grand Dining Room is on a par with the food in Discoveries on Azamara, perhaps very slightly better (just our opinion!) and the steak in the Grand Dining Room was as good as that in the Polo Grill. The Grand Marnier soufflé in Oceania's Grand Dining Room, however, was not as good as the one served in Aquilina on Azamara, which is cooked to order. On both ships we love to eat breakfast and lunch out on the terrace and we found on Oceania that it was always very easy to get a table, but this could be more to do with the time of year. It can sometimes be hard to get a table outside on Azamara. We did like the fact that there were several tables for two in the Grand Dining Room, including by the window. There are not so many in the Discoveries dining room on Azamara and none at all on Windows deck. In summary, we liked different things on both ships and it's good to have a change now and again.

One other thing we missed was a coffee lounge like the Mosaic Cafe on Azamara to relax with a cup of coffee after dinner. The coffee in Baristas was very good but the ambience isn't the same. We did ask for a coffee in the Grand Bar or Martinis Bar but apparently their coffee machine was out of order.

We had the Prestige Drinks Package included so enjoyed some excellent cocktails which were probably better than the 'standard' ones included on Azamara. However, we have always thought the standard ones perfectly acceptable and the wines on Azamara very good so would not pay extra for 'premium' drinks normally.

We cannot really comment on the entertainment as we only attended two shows, both with the singers and dancers, which were ok. One of them was near the end of the cruise and was followed by the introduction of the crew and presentation of the Employee of the Month Award which was a nice touch. This was the first time we had seen the Cruise Director and the Captain but as mentioned, we only went to two shows and they may well have been at other events. Personally we prefer the ambience of the Cabaret Lounge on Azamara and the guest entertainers we have seen are mostly very good indeed. The shows by the Cruise Director on Azamara are also well worth seeing.

Turning to the crew and officers, we found every crew member to be very friendly and helpful, from waiters to Reception, cabin stewards and security staff. However, we missed the friendly 'welcome home' whenever we boarded the ship and were also surprised there was no 'welcome' glass of sparkling wine when we first boarded in Istanbul. We hardly saw any officers, which to us is definitely a plus on Azamara - they are always around the ship and happy to chat, there are always one or two officers or the Cruise Director, sometimes even the Captain, waiting at the gangway or at the tender platform to wish you a nice day when you get off the ship. Of course this may be different on their smaller ships and perhaps an experienced Oceania cruiser can clarify this. Although Azamara do not have constant announcements, we do enjoy the midday announcement by the Captain and the way they keep you informed of progress and sea conditions etc.

One main difference is the lack of social events laid on for the passengers on Oceania. We find on Azamara that there seems to be something to go to on several evenings/days, starting from the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle on the first evening hosted by the Cruise Director and attended by any officers who are available. Drinks and canapés are provided in abundance and it is a good way to start the cruise. There are also officers BBQs, a Captain's cocktail party, Le Club Voyage party and the ever popular White Nights Party held on deck (weather permitting!).

We did not take any ship's tours as we felt they were very expensive. In two places we hired rental cars and visited the same places as the ship's tours at a fraction of the cost. This is easy to do on an itinerary such as this but on an Asian cruise, for example, we would prefer to take ship's tours, as we will be doing on our Burma cruise in January on Azamara. Of course the Azamara tours are more expensive now that they have stopped giving any pre-booking discount but seem reasonable value for the type of excursion.

The tender process was understandably not as quick and easy as on Azamara because of the size of the ship and number of passengers and this again is probably different on the 'R' ships. The passengers going on ship's tours were tendered off first as well as those with independent tours booked and they had to go to the Riviera Lounge to get tender tickets. We were told that 'open tendering' would be announced after these passengers had all disembarked but we never heard an announcement to this effect at either of the places we tendered so were waiting around to get off for much longer than necessary. We decided to go into the lounge to find out what was happening and found it deserted apart from just one crew member who gave us a ticket which we immediately handed in and boarded a tender. Rather an unnecessary process in our opinion at this stage of the proceedings.

We found our fellow passengers to be as friendly as those on Azamara and the age demographic similar - which varies anyway according to itinerary in our experience. Didn't notice any particular difference in dress code.

So, would we go on Oceania again? Most definitely yes, if another offer came along that was as good as our recent cruise, with included gratuities and Prestige Drinks Package. We would also like to try one of Oceania's 'R' ships to get a more accurate comparison with Azamara but if there were a choice between the two with the same itinerary at the same price, we would probably opt for Azamara for the ambience and social interaction with officers and crew and the feeling of being 'at home' when on board.

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

mara01

View Public Profile

Find all posts by mara01

Add mara01 to Your Contacts

I'm such a newbie I didn't realize Oceania had any of those small ships. That puts them in the possible column for future cruise selection.

Oceania has 3 of the 8 (R1, R2 and R5) so they are the main heir of Renaissance Cruises. They have spent a lot of money refurbishing them over the years, including this year, so they are in great shape. But the layouts, especially the cabins, are the same on all so the cruise experience comes down to the differences in the cruise line.

Note that Azamara has R6 & R7, which makes them slightly younger than the Oceania R-ships.

By the way, Princess also has 2 (R3 and R4 -- but one is officially for sale and the other is expected to go soon after that). I don't think the food or other amenities would match Azamara or Oceania, but deck eight is almost all suites on their ships (even where Azamara has V1 Verandahs). [The remaining ship (R8) is on P&O and apparently not for sale, but P&O doesn't seem to want R3 or R4.]

It's interesting to speculate that Azamara might buy one or both of the Princess R-ships as a low-cost way to expand the fleet. If they build new ships on the scale of the Oceania O-ships, it will force them to modify the itineraries that visit small ports that larger ships can't get to. Adding more R-ships would allow more of the Azamara itineraries we know and love. And those extra suites would be a nice option too!

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I've keeping my eye on Princess recently because it often cruises out of San Francisco which would be perfect for me --no flying! So, those smaller vessels could be very attractive out of SF.

Hi OctoberKat,

I doubt that Azamara has serious interest in sailing out of ports like San Francisco for extended periods of time, like Princess offers. Sure, there might be occasional San Fran sailings, but they simply do not have enough ships to be everywhere we'd like them to be. Azamara is known for sailing to distant & exotic ports, where the larger ships are too big to visit.

FWIW, Azamara will be offering a 16 night Panama Canal sailing from Los Angeles to Miami, but that's in February of 2016. There are also a few sailings to and from Miami, in 2015 and 2016.

Perhaps someday, when Azamara has more ships, we might see additional sailings closer to home - at least for those who reside in the USA. Time will tell.

Edited by Host Andy

Rose and Steve,

Just read your review of Oceania, very interesting and comprehensive. We have sailed exclusively with Azamara for the last 6 years, but we depart in a few days for our first Oceania cruise. We too took advantage of a good deal to try a cruise line we'd been thinking about for some time.

We are looking for a week of rest and relaxation after a very stressful few months, and hope Oceania will fit the bill.

We look forward to comparing our experiences to yours.

Once again, thanks for a very good review.

Hi Kiawahdon,

We too are on the Azamara cruise to Burma In January and like you have booked ships tours in places where we are not familiar - eg Yangon. However we are hiring a taxi for the day in Penang and in Langkawi which are easy places to get around. In Phuket on the second day we are hoping to get a boat from the docking area to one of the outlying islands for a day snorkelling but will decide on the day. Otherwise we will have a beach day at Karon Beach. Again Phuket is fairly easy to get around using taxis. We will not use the Tuk Tuks as these are overpriced. I do not yet know where we will dock but assume that it will be Patong as I believe we are tendering.

Hope to get to meet you at the Meet and Greet.

Hi Kiawahdon,

We too are on the Azamara cruise to Burma In January and like you have booked ships tours in places where we are not familiar - eg Yangon. However we are hiring a taxi for the day in Penang and in Langkawi which are easy places to get around. In Phuket on the second day we are hoping to get a boat from the docking area to one of the outlying islands for a day snorkelling but will decide on the day. Otherwise we will have a beach day at Karon Beach. Again Phuket is fairly easy to get around using taxis. We will not use the Tuk Tuks as these are overpriced. I do not yet know where we will dock but assume that it will be Patong as I believe we are tendering.

Hope to get to meet you at the Meet and Greet.

i do not recall seeing you on the RC... I am on the 20th of jan cruise. Thanks for the info on beaches and taxi's. I am sure others would like this info to .

great review Terrier1 ! I have never sailed with Oceania but have been on the Azamara Journey and the Azamara Quest and loved loved loved every minute. I concur with your observations of Azamara - the best!!

Edited by Duke's Mom
clarify response