Azamara versus Oceania

Lemailu

We have been on two cruises only up till now. One on Nautica last year and the other on Indignia at the end of June.

Are already looking for another one for next year but find it difficult to get a route that is of interest to us.

Have seen one on Azamara though but wonder if we will appreciate it as much as Oceania.

We like a nice veranda room (not a suite - too expensive), good food, just a few drinks and wine, not too many passengers, not too much noise, we are not really interested in entertainment and usually get off the boat each morning for visits.

Has anyone tried both - Azamara and Oceania - and give us advice?

Thank you.

I just finished writing the update and will post it now. What timing.

I thought I would give a comparison of Azamara vs Oceania based on my experience especially given the recent refurbishment of the smaller Oceania “R” ships and current live reviews of on Cruise Critic. Each person has their own “needs” as far as the cruise experience goes. We enjoy the Oceania product that provides casual dining, small ships, open seating, great beds, a minimum of children and interesting itineraries.

Background

We have sailed six times with Oceania – three times on the smaller “R” ships and three times on the larger “O” ships. We have number seven and eight coming up in 2015 as a Grand Voyage Down Under so you can see we like Oceania. However, we like the smaller “R” ships better. We haven’t been on the “R” ships for a while so things may have changed but we preferred the atmosphere and friendliness of the smaller ships. We never cruised any other line so we were looking for a similar experience to Oceania. Azamara has the two sister ships and we came upon a great double upgrade offer and $1,500 Choice Air credit on a B2B itinerary we loved with lots of late port nights and overnights. We jumped on it and gave it a try with much trepidation.

Cruise Itinerary

We booked a B2B – our first. We combined two 7 day cruises. The first leg was called Best of Greek Isles and Turkish Coast and sailed from Athens on June 21 through Mykonos, Kusadasi, Kos, Rhodes, Marmaris, Santorini and back to Athens. There were lots of late nights and an overnight which is really nice since we like to hang out in ports after all the cruise ships leave. The second 7 night leg left from Athens and included Chania, Kotor, Dubrovnik, Korcula, and overnight in Venice. We like the interesting itineraries and although we had visited some of these ports before with Oceania we wanted to spend more time at them. The longer port stays and overnights are a big plus for us.

Embarkation

We booked a standard verandah V3 (Oceania A3 equivalent) cabin 7009 and our boarding documents stated that embarkation was 12:30 pm. We arrived at Piraeus at 12:30 and were met by Azamara personnel who had our luggage taken away immediately and directed us to the check in. The line was very long and had tons of kids on it (oh no). Fortunately, it took all of 10 minutes to sign in, get our cards and get on board. We were greeted with champagne. We headed to the Windows Café (Terrace Cafe on Oceania) where there was a full luncheon spread as well as the pool bar that was open. We marveled at the fact that this was the first time we were able to get a table on the outside. We don’t really like buffets and it was always a mob scene on Oceania and we never could find an empty table. We hadn’t even sat down when the waiters came and asked us what we wanted to drink. We had a very nice lunch with lots of offerings at the buffet and then decided to check on our cabin at 1:30. The cabin was ready and our suitcases were there. Another first.

Cabin and Ship

We had the same size cabin category as our previous Oceania “R” cruises and felt right at home. The cabin was in great shape. There was a bottle champagne and fresh fruit on the table. The fruit was replenished daily. There were no chocolate mints on the bed at night – instead we had little chocolate pastries. There was a smaller wooden cocktail table versus the glass cocktail table that took up too much room on Oceania. The deck had a square glass table and two wicker chairs. The bed was really comfortable as were the pillows and sheets. The bed was higher since my luggage fit under it and I didn’t have to store it in the closet. The cabin was a replica of he “O” cabins on the “R” ships which included the “dreaded” shower curtain (lol). There were bathrobes, slippers, umbrella and binoculars in the room. Also, a user friendly alarm clock on the night table. There was a safe and small refrigerator.

The ship pretty much has the same layout as Oceania. The Café seems to have a larger overhang so you are able to fit more tables outside in inclement weather. There was also a larger bar outside. I am not one for noticing art work around the ship so I can’t comment. There was a piano in the library. Mosaics – the coffee bar – is tucked in a corner on deck 5. The elevators were never crowded. I think since this cruise had a lot of younger people everyone was using the stairs.

Meet and Mingle

Azamara arranges the Meet and Mingle. You sign up on line. We had a very nice group. The get together was at 5:45pm and they served hors d’oevres and cocktails. The muster was at 5 pm and you didn’t have to bring your life vest. The first night we were asked if we wanted to dine at 6 pm or 8 pm to stagger the dinners. We are late eaters so we selected 8 pm. No wait and dinner was excellent. Afterwards we went to the lounge which is something we never to do on Oceania but then hey – unlimited wine and beer - had a great time and the fellow passengers were congenial.

Kids and Demographics

We saw a lot of kids when we signed in and that about was the last time we saw any which was strange. We also never heard them. We were surprised. We found out at our turnaround B2B meeting that the first leg actually had 710 passengers of which 45 were kids. Both the Captain and Hotel Director were there and told us that the ship never had that many passengers or kids and they were concerned. Because of this the ship placed a packet of rules and regulations to anyone that had kids sailing with them. The communication of these rules and the ramifications provided a ground rule that everyone followed. There were no babies in the pool, no kids unsupervised, no kids jumping in the pool, no kids in the specialty restaurant under 13 and no kids roaming around halls. The ship put kid programs in but since it was such a port intense cruise no showed up. I actually enjoyed meeting up with the parents who had babies in the prams since none were making a fuss and none were in the dining rooms when we were there. We never noticed crowding anyone including the restaurants but this was a port intensive cruise with no sea days on the first leg. For the first time we were able to dine on the outside Café and get a table and actually eat without a mob crowd and this was on an oversold cruise. The second leg only had 610 passengers with British in the majority and only 18 children.

White Nights and Azamazing Evenings

For each cruise segment Azamara had a White Night and Azamazing Evening. The White Night party consists of a buffet on the pool deck and band with music and dancing. We ate in the dining room first and then joined the party. I am not a buffet or a late night person but have to admit I had a great time. You are suppose to wear white but don’t have to. The band was fabulous and everyone was having a great time. Here is where the difference between O and ACC comes into play. No one is around in the lounge on O after 10 pm and I was always in my cabin. Not on Azamara. This ship is definitely more social and active and therefore we had a tendency to stay up.

We partook of two Azamazing evenings on our B2B. The first was an evening string concert at night in Ephesus. It was wonderful. The ship had buffets set up on the ship before we left and then hors d’oevres and cocktails at Ephesus. If you wanted there was another buffet set up upon arrival back to the ship later in the evening. The evening was great and went very smoothly with the bus transportation. The Captain and CD were there as well.

The second Azamazing evening was in Chania Crete. It took place in the town square outside the old Mosque. It replicated a folkloric wedding. I can’t tell you how great this was. We had drinks and local edibles and the town participated in arranging the festival. The Captain and CD were there and participated once again like in Ephesus. I was always one to say I believed the Captain belonged on the bridge and if I never saw him I was fine. Not so. Azamara brings a whole new perspective to interaction. We tendered in and it all went flawlessly.

Food and Wine

It’s subjective but the food on Azamara was good. We have had some pretty terrible steaks and seafood on Oceania so I have no complaints on Azamara. Generally I think food is a tad better on Oceania but it depends on the ship, chef, etc. I think Oceania has a heads up on breakfast in the MDR but Azamara has an advantage on breakfast and lunch in the Café. Oceania has a much better selection at the pool bar. Azamara doesn’t have the MDR open on port days whereas Oceania does. Also, there are no lamb chops in the Azamara MDR for breakfast. Eggs Benedict trumps in the Oceania MDR for breakfast. However, no matter your cabin category you can get a hot breakfast in your Azamara cabin which we did one morning. We miss the milk shakes on Oceania but the ice cream is good on Azamara. Also, the food is always hot on Azamara and we never had to wait eons to be served. Also, we never had to wait to have our wine classes refilled. I couldn’t tell you how many times the sommelier never returned to our table on Oceania to get a refill. We just said forget it. We liked the wine on Azamara but we aren’t big wine perfectionists. Everyday the selection of red and white changes and they introduce wines from a region (ie. California, South Africa, South America, etc.). Mosaics is Azamara’s Baristas and has very good coffee and lots of mini sandwiches, pastries, cookies, etc. throughout the day. The restaurants are also open longer.

Entertainment

We attended several shows with the Azamara Dancers and Singers and they were GREAT. Very talented group. We went to two comedy magician shows and they were just okay. The other nights were filled with the Azamazing evenings and White Nights. We did hang out in the lounge for dancing (first for us) and the DJ was excellent. There were a lot of people dancing and open to 2 am. We did notice that there were two shows per evening so as to accommodate early and late diners.

Excursions, Drink and Specialty Restaurant Packages

Wish I had something to add here but we didn’t take any of Azamara’s excursions. The excursions offered in the brochure are no where near expensive as Oceania’s. We also never had a problem with the tenders. You got off the ship whenever you wanted and we didn’t wait for ship tours to go first. That is the beauty of a smaller ship. We did receive a free excursion on Korcula to wineries that was part of ACC Land Discoveries association with our TA’s agency. I never really understood it but the excursion was great.

They were offering specialty restaurant packages with a small savings. I believe the specialty restaurant cost is $25 pp. We were happy with the MDR so never experienced the Specialities. We also didn’t take the drink package. My husband drinks Bud and we really liked the wines they pour as included in the cruise. We spent our days off the ship and local cuisines and beers at shore restaurants. We don’t drink hard liquor – we did enough damage with the wine and beer. Corkage fee is $10.

Shuttles

Azamara doesn’t use just the available port shuttles. This makes a huge difference with availability and timing. This is always something that pissed me off about Oceania stating they had shuttles. They could never provide me any information about where the pick up and drop off points were until on the ship and the reason was because the shuttles belonged to the port. They only use the available port shuttles not any that they hired. Azamara had their own and they ran frequently with no problems, long waiting or crowding. In Dubrovnik they ran as soon as they were filled or every half hour with no problem coming or going. When we were there in 2009 with O there were no shuttles at all.

We were suppose to dock in San Basilio for our end of the cruise overnight in Venice but ended in Maritimo. Azamara got us a dedicated Azamara water taxi for $10 pp to run from Maritimo to San Marco all day till 10:30 pm at night and you could get off and on as much as you wanted - cheaper than the vaporotto from San Basilio. They also provided a free shuttle bus from the dock to the People Mover for those of us who were traveling independently and not going to the airport. Azamara also provided lots of details for traveling to the airport, train station, back into Venice with them or independently. I also commend the Captain for having an ongoing dialogue with the ports of Dubrovnik and Venice to get us the tender spot in the Old Town and at San Basilio although it did not work out.

Announcements and Such

The captain comes on at noon each day and gives you an enjoyable and lively update as to where you are, the weather, where you are going, and various updates. It’s the only update you are getting unless something happens. They are very unobtrusive. There were art stuff but we never heard or saw them and same goes for photographers. Just say no and it was over.

Incidentals

We received free internet minutes on the first leg as well as a free laundry for as much as you could fill the small laundry bag. The laundry came back folded, pressed and on hangers for the shirts. Very nice. I have no idea why we got this free perk. We received an additional 85 free internet minutes on the second leg since we were now part of the Le Club Voyage. We also received a small bottle of local olive oil and honey from our day on Crete – nice gesture and delicious oil.

Atmosphere and Service

I am the first to say I never cared about the captain and CD interaction with the cruisers but boy I am a convert. This ship has a down to earth and friendly vibe which does make a difference from the Captain to the cabin steward to the CD. Everyone is genuinely friendly and happy. You talk to the crew and have a real conversation and interaction. The CD and Captain led walks up to the fort in Kotor and through Dubrovnik. The bar tender knows your name and beverage before you even sit down. You can’t turn your head without having your glass refilled. The DJ is in the lounge till 2 am and there are actual people still dancing and having a good time.

Broadcast announcements are kept to an absolute minimum and communication of events such as transportation options, shuttle schedules, etc. are excellent and forthcoming.

Service is impeccable. We were never served lukewarm food or had to wait a long time between courses. Our cabin attendant even turn our clocks back for us when we passed a time zone.

Bad Stuff

We loved our cruise so much we booked another for 2016. Just found out that they are chartering out the Quest and our cruises are affected. This is a problem when you only have two ships in the fleet and a charter takes up a big chunk of the schedule.

We will definitly sale again on Azamara as long as the itinerary is good and they hold their price point.

Hi Terrier1,

Thank you for your excellent insights. I enjoyed your Oceania comparison, especially as we are currently considering other cruise line options. I'm hoping Celebrity will remain our cruise line of choice, but things are rapidly changing, so one never knows.

As I've said for many years, the officer and crew interaction is one of the many things, that makes Azamara very special. It's always nice to hear when others appreciate the dedication of the onboard folks, and how they work tirelessly for their guests to enjoy a wonderful cruise experience.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your Azamara experience. Welcome home !

Fantastic timing indeed....

I read your entire report with great interest. (Actually I am Belgian and there were a few things I did not understand such as the meaning of B2B...anyway).

You have made some comments about Oceania which I frankly did not dare make because everyone (my TA included) says that Oceania is THE one (in its price category - actually my TA encourages me to try Regent but I think it's too expensive).

Your review and comments have convinced me that if we find a route of interest at a convenient date, we will definitely give Azamara a try.

Thank you.

By the way - Nautica was perfect for us last year but Insignia was a bit disappointing in every aspect.

We have been on two cruises only up till now. One on Nautica last year and the other on Indignia at the end of June.

Are already looking for another one for next year but find it difficult to get a route that is of interest to us.

Have seen one on Azamara though but wonder if we will appreciate it as much as Oceania.

We like a nice veranda room (not a suite - too expensive), good food, just a few drinks and wine, not too many passengers, not too much noise, we are not really interested in entertainment and usually get off the boat each morning for visits.

Has anyone tried both - Azamara and Oceania - and give us advice?

Thank you.

Hi Lemailu,

I have not sailed on Oceania yet - but hope to in 2015. I have sailed on Azamara 3 times, and each time was outstanding. While the ships are older, they are very well maintained. As mentioned above, Azamara's Officers and Crew engagement, is incredible - and amongst the best I've ever experienced on a cruise ship. We found Azamara's cuisine to be excellent. The specialty dining is outstanding, and highly recommended.

Though I have not sailed on Oceania yet, I have visited Riviera for a luncheon earlier this year, and thought the ship was absolutely beautiful and IMO, nicer than Azamara's 2 ships - but that's not a big surprise, as Riviera and Marina are only a few years old. With that said, both ships are roughly 50% larger than Journey and Quest, so you lose that small ship feeling. I can see why that may be a dealbreaker for some. Due to their newer ships larger size, I suspect it's not as easy to experience the incredible service from the crew, which Azamara offers. However, that may be a wash on their smaller (R-Class) ships, as they are virtually identical in size to Azamara.... though at least one of Oceania's R-Class ships was recently updated, so that's a plus.

I highly recommend Azamara, and I'm confident you will love the onboard experience. If you have further questions, feel free to ask. Hope this is helpful !

Edited by Host Andy

Atmosphere and Service

I am the first to say I never cared about the captain and CD interaction with the cruisers but boy I am a convert. This ship has a down to earth and friendly vibe which does make a difference from the Captain to the cabin steward to the CD. Everyone is genuinely friendly and happy. You talk to the crew and have a real conversation and interaction..

Great review. Glad that you had a good time.

I've tried to explain to friends who sail on Oceania how the atmosphere on Azamara is warmer. They feel as you felt: the captain should be steering the ship and not walking around talking to passengers. It's nice to hear from you that you now "get it". I guess you just have to experience it to become a convert.

I read your entire report with great interest. (Actually I am Belgian and there were a few things I did not understand such as the meaning of B2B...anyway).

Hi Lemailu,

B2B is short for a Back to Back sailing. Hope this helps !

Great review. Glad that you had a good time.

I've tried to explain to friends who sail on Oceania how the atmosphere on Azamara is warmer. They feel as you felt: the captain should be steering the ship and not walking around talking to passengers. It's nice to hear from you that you now "get it". I guess you just have to experience it to become a convert.

Exactly :)

Terrier, that is such a great comparison between Oceania and Azamara and it echoes my thoughts exactly. I enjoy Oceania and would sail with them again but an O cruise just does not compare to the special feelings I get on Quest.

Thanks for writing such a detailed comparison between the two cruise lines.

Can't wait to be back on lovely Quest in a few weeks! :)

From Host Andy:

With that said, both ships are roughly 50% larger than Journey and Quest, so you lose that small ship feeling.

An industry standard to measure passenger space is the "space ratio"- tonnage divided by passengers.

For O and AZ's former R ships the ratio is approximately 30,277/684 or 44.26

On the 2 larger O ships, the ratio is 1250/66084 or 52.86--20% more.

I submit that if you ever sailed on one of O's larger ships, you might change your mind about "losing that small ship feeling"

I will admit that if your itinerary has a lot of tender ports, the additional passengers can "stress" the tender operation (and some passengers). On the other hand, there are so many more places to relax, hide, have cocktails, etc. on the larger O ships, that you never feel crowded.

No question that a ship with 650 pax "feels" differently than one with 1250.

but the higher space ratio takes care of much of the issue.

From Host Andy:

With that said, both ships are roughly 50% larger than Journey and Quest, so you lose that small ship feeling.

An industry standard to measure passenger space is the "space ratio"- tonnage divided by passengers.

For O and AZ's former R ships the ratio is approximately 30,277/684 or 44.26

On the 2 larger O ships, the ratio is 1250/66084 or 52.86--20% more.

I submit that if you ever sailed on one of O's larger ships, you might change your mind about "losing that small ship feeling"

I will admit that if your itinerary has a lot of tender ports, the additional passengers can "stress" the tender operation (and some passengers). On the other hand, there are so many more places to relax, hide, have cocktails, etc. on the larger O ships, that you never feel crowded.

No question that a ship with 650 pax "feels" differently than one with 1250.

but the higher space ratio takes care of much of the issue.

Hi Kiawahdon,

Hopefully, I will experience Oceania for myself in the near future. As I have no current plans to sail with Azamara, Oceania is high on my list, and perhaps I will reconsider my comment about the small ship experience. Seems tough to imagine with nearly twice as many guests onboard their newest ships, but I'm certainly not ruling it out. One thing is for sure, Riviera is absolutely beautiful. I only hope that if & when Azamara gets new ships, they can do as nice of a job, as Oceania did with their newbuilds. Thanks for sharing your insights.

Edited by Host Andy

You have made some comments about Oceania which I frankly did not dare make because everyone (my TA included) says that Oceania is THE one (in its price category - actually my TA encourages me to try Regent but I think it's too expensive).

Your review and comments have convinced me that if we find a route of interest at a convenient date, we will definitely give Azamara a try.

Thank you.

By the way - Nautica was perfect for us last year but Insignia was a bit disappointing in every aspect.

Funny that you mention that your travel agent wants you to try Oceania--ours is busting a gut to get us on Oceania and honestly I can't see the point. On an R class Oceania ship like the Insignia, for example, we'd have to pay for gratuities and alcoholic drinks, both of which are included on Azamara. Sure, we'd get a newly renovated ship with all the bells and whistles but I happen to like the Quest and Journey exactly as they are. I don't find fault with the decor one bit. To me Oceania costs more and delivers less. I suppose if I needed "new new new" I might come to a different conclusion, but I don't, so I shall stay with Azamara for the small ship experience.

Lemailu,

I have been considering Oceania for some time. Marina and Riviera look beautiful ships.

BUT your comment that the lounges are empty after 10pm is disappointing. Even on a port intensive cruise I want to have an enjoyable time late into the night with my fellow cruisers.

Terrier1, Glad you enjoyed your first Quest voyage so much. After 8 times sailing with her I tried Journey in May and had a very good time. But I return to Quest in September - I am one of those who think that Quest is best!

Lemailu,

I have been considering Oceania for some time. Marina and Riviera look beautiful ships.

BUT your comment that the lounges are empty after 10pm is disappointing. Even on a port intensive cruise I want to have an enjoyable time late into the night with my fellow cruisers.

Terrier1, Glad you enjoyed your first Quest voyage so much. After 8 times sailing with her I tried Journey in May and had a very good time. But I return to Quest in September - I am one of those who think that Quest is best!

Hazel, isn't that the truth about the lounges being lively on Azamara! Especially upstairs where all the dancing is. Our first Azamara cruise was at Christmastime and I thought it was a fluke--it being the holidays and all the accompanying festivities--but on the May cruise we were both on, the dance floor was hopping every night! I think I lost some sleep on that cruise. :D

Hazel, isn't that the truth about the lounges being lively on Azamara! Especially upstairs where all the dancing is. Our first Azamara cruise was at Christmastime and I thought it was a fluke--it being the holidays and all the accompanying festivities--but on the May cruise we were both on, the dance floor was hopping every night! I think I lost some sleep on that cruise. :D

Couldn't agree more Deirdre. I thought Marcio was wonderful on our Journey cruise.

I believe you and Rob are on Journey when we are on Quest in September.

Hope we manage to cruise together again on Azamara in the future (on Quest preferably)

Hazel

I haven't stayed up that late consecutively in years. We were up early to head out on our own for touring. Since we didn't have to rush back to the ship for an early departure we stayed in port later. I think I needed a vacation from the vacation.

Thank you for a wonderful review!

Although I've not been able to try O yet, did Renaissance in 2001 which gave me a taste for small ship cruising.

That being said, did Crystal in May which I always thought would be a 'cut above' and was disappointed by the service in many ways

Very excited to try Azamara next year.....:rolleyes:

Hi Lemailu,

Sorry to interrupt this Azamara thread, but you may not return to the Star Clippers forum. Please could you let me know (via the Star Clippers area) what you friend's experience was when he/she arrived early in Venice? As we discussed, my query is the same as your friend's - i.e. can we offload our luggage and visit Venice before boarding starts at 4pm.

Many thanks.

Question for "R" ship enthusiasts:

The bathrooms in the standard verandah rooms are quite small (along with the balcony with that large table in the way). I'm not sure 2 weeks in that small bathroom would work so that brings me up to a Club Continent Suite. It appears ALL the Club Continent suites are below the pool and Windows Cafe. I usually only book staterooms on decks that are in between 2 decks of rooms. I'm not interested in anything larger than a Club Continent Suite. Help! It appears that there really isn't an option for a quiet Club Continent Suite!

Over the past several years, there have been a number of threads discussing the comparison between Oceania and Azamara. I have been on only two cruises--Oceania Marina several years ago and the Azamara Journey very recently. Depending on itinerary and price, I would not hesitate to sail again on either line. I find the two lines comparable, but there are differences. My quick thoughts:

1. I actually prefer the larger Marina over the smaller Journey. The Marina did not seem noticeably larger than the Journey and retains the feel of a smaller ship. However, because fairly new as well as larger, the Marina is more visually attractive and has offerings, such as more specialty restaurants, that the smaller Journey lacks. However, the smaller ship may allow for access to ports or dock locations that is not available to larger ships.

2. The Azamara crew and staff were more friendly than those on our Oceania cruise, especially the captain and the ship's crew. Azamara wins this category easily. However, I will add that pre-cruise communications with Oceania are superior to those on Azamara.

3. Azamara made a concerted efforts to provide special cruise events that really enhanced our cruise experience. The Azamazing evening event (in our case, the ballet in St. Petersburg) was executed very well, and there was a German band playing as our ship left Travemunde, which we thoroughly enjoyed. Azamara tries really hard to make its cruise experience a hit.

4. Our veranda stateroom on the Journey was small but comforable. Yes, the bathroom and shower were small, but we spent so little time in our stateroom that the size of the cabin and the bathroom really did not matter. Also, the Journey is very well maintained.

5. We do not cruise for the food, but the biggest advantage that Oceania has over Azamara is the quality of the food. I realize that the subject of food is in part subjective. However, I found overall the food on Azamara good to very good, and on the Marina very good to even excellent in two of the specialty restaurants. On the Journey, in the main dining room, the menu is not extentive, and the strip steak served and the soup dishes in general (the "Louisiana gumbo" was not like any gumbo in Louisiana I have ever tasted--come on, folks, it is not terribly hard to make a decent roux) were mediocre. The service in the specialty restaurants was excellent, and we enjoyed very much our dinner in the Med restaurant, but my wife commented that my onion soup and creamed spinach are better than what we were served in the steak restaurant. In this category, Oceania is the clear winner, but again I found the food offerings on Azamara acceptable.

Again, I had a wonderful time on both Oceania and Azamara, and would gladly cruise on either line in the future depending upon itinerary and price. The lines are comparable, and both offer a quality experience, but each has its strengths. Good luck in making your future selection.

Edited by Reggiefan