Which Beach?

Shmoo here

We're going to be in port with one other ship. Roughly 7000 cruise passengers that day between the two ships. We had thought that we would just head out for Royal Palms to spend the day.

Now I'm second guessing our plans. The cruiseline has an excursion to Tiki Beach that's not too pricey. Yes, it's a little more than what I think Royal Palms will cost, but not outrageous.

I'm unsure if taking a chance on whether it's busy at Royal Palms is a good idea. Should we stick with our original plan? Or go with the ship's excursion that will guarantee us a beach chair and drinks (plus transportation there and back)?

I was at Royal Palms earlier this year and the admission was just 2.00. We sat around the pool and had a few drinks, total for the day was 20.00 for two. :)

Do you know how much umbrella rentals were? For that $2.00 do you have a guaranteed beach chair? The same one all day?

• 2 weeks later...
Is there another beach besides Royal Palms?

Royal Palms is a Beach Club on Seven Mile Beach. Seven Mile Beach is the main stretch of beach from just north (I think it's north) of town all the way up that side of the island. Your ship will be looking right at it when it's at anchor. (most likely).

There are many different "named" areas of Seven Mile Beach, and some of them have facilities like beach chairs, umbrellas, restrooms. Some have restaurants or snack bars, some areas are good for snorkeling, some areas have watersport rentals.

What are you looking for in a beach? If you want a beach.....there's a beach, if you want something specific, throw it out there and posters will help you find the right area of the beach for you.

There are definitely other beaches on Grand Cayman as well, but most would require a car or a tour to get to.

Royal Palms is a Beach Club on Seven Mile Beach. Seven Mile Beach is the main stretch of beach from just north (I think it's north) of town all the way up that side of the island. Your ship will be looking right at it when it's at anchor. (most likely).

There are many different "named" areas of Seven Mile Beach, and some of them have facilities like beach chairs, umbrellas, restrooms. Some have restaurants or snack bars, some areas are good for snorkeling, some areas have watersport rentals.

What are you looking for in a beach? If you want a beach.....there's a beach, if you want something specific, throw it out there and posters will help you find the right area of the beach for you.

There are definitely other beaches on Grand Cayman as well, but most would require a car or a tour to get to.

OK throwing it out as far as I can. L:DL

Name of place to be dropped off by taxi that has loungers and umbrellas to rent, with a nice view.

How's that? ;):p

OK throwing it out as far as I can. L:DL

Name of place to be dropped off by taxi that has loungers and umbrellas to rent' date=' with a nice view.

How's that? ;):p[/quote']

Calico Jack's on 7 Mile Beach. Your taxi driver will know where it is. :)

LuLu

Calico Jack's on 7 Mile Beach. Your taxi driver will know where it is. :)

LuLu

Thanks for the suggestion.

I was looking at CJ's, it appears to be more of a hang out joint for drinks and food.

Looking for more of a 'relaxing' spot on the beach. ;)

Either Marriott or Royal Palm.

Then read the following:

Good afternoon! Unfortunately we do not offer day passes at our property, not even during low season. All facilities of the Hotel are for registered guests only.

:(

Thanks for the suggestion.

I was looking at CJ's' date=' it appears to be more of a hang out joint for drinks and food.

Looking for more of a 'relaxing' spot on the beach. ;)

Either Marriott or Royal Palm.

Then read the following:

[indent']Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort Good afternoon! Unfortunately we do not offer day passes at our property, not even during low season. All facilities of the Hotel are for registered guests only.

[/indent]:(

Right next to CJ's is "Public Beach" which is more for families. There is chairs, umbrella's and restrooms with showers. Just a 5 min. walk to CJ's for food and drink. There is one food truck at Public with limited items. Buses and taxi's right across the street.

More details on the various sections of Seven Mile Beach can be found here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1880444

Only you can decide which section best suits your needs. Everyone has their personal favorite, based on what facilities they're looking for...

Update...in this morning's newspaper, it was announced that Surfside is closing, as the property is becoming part of the huge new hotel development in the area. The other beaches mentioned in that thread are still an option, though.

I think SeaGrape/CalicoJacks is the same place. SeaGrape has a very narrow beachfront and gets very crowded. Public Beach is much wider and spacious but lacking a restaurant. My favorite is Royal Palms with their adult only pool.:) Good Luck.

I think SeaGrape/CalicoJacks is the same place. SeaGrape has a very narrow beachfront and gets very crowded. Public Beach is much wider and spacious but lacking a restaurant. My favorite is Royal Palms with their adult only pool.:) Good Luck.

Are you allowed to use the pool?

What are the transportation options and costs to Royal Palms from the Royal Caribbean port?
/

Beach shuttle or cab is 5.00 p/p ea way at tender pier. Public bus 2.50 p/p ea way and pickup point is 2 blocks from tender pier.

On return shuttle or cab will be in RP parking lot. Public bus is out on the street, look for bus stop sign.