American Cruise Lines ignores phone messages, letters

On August 30, 2015, I returned home from a three weeks long trip to find a message from an employee of American Cruise Lines on my answering machine. She gave her name as Nicole, her phone number as 1-800-814-6880 and her extension as 660. Her message said there were "some things I need to speak to you about" - our booked trips from Nashville to Cincinnati and Cincinnati to Pittsburgh (Summer of 2017); "just some things to go over."

I returned Nicole's call and reached a person who indicated that she was unavailable but would call me again.

After three or four days of waiting and having not heard from anyone, I again called. I was again told that Nicole was unavailable. I explained that this was my second attempt to return her call. The person I was speaking with indicated that he would send an email to Nicole and also leave a message on her voice mail asking her to call me.

Three or four more days passed without any phone call. I tried a third time on September 8. This time when I was told that Nicole was unavailable, I explained that this was my third attempt to return her call. I then asked if she was on vacation or ill or there was some other reason why she might be unavailable for an extended period of time and asked if I could be given some indication of when I might be able to reach her. The person with whom I was speaking told me that Nicole was on the telephone and would call me as soon as she finished her call.

Five hours later with no phone call, I called the customer service number for American Cruise Lines. The person I spoke with was very sympathetic and apologetic when I explained my attempts to reach Nicole. I asked if Nicole had a supervisor or colleague I could speak with who might know what the company needed to discuss with me. After putting me on an extended hold, the customer service representative indicated that someone from senior management would return my call. It is now October 5. I have not received any phone calls from anyone at American Cruise Lines.

I wrote to the company president on September 14, explained what had happened and asked him for his assistance. It is now three weeks later and I still have received no reply.

I cannot understand why someone from American Cruise Lines has not called or written me to explain 1) why they contacted me in the first place and 2) why they are ignoring my attempts to contact them as they requested I do. We have always enjoyed traveling with this company and their sister company, Pearl Seas Cruises, but are very concerned with their lack of response.

Do you know Nicole's department or responsibilities?

That should give you some idea of what the call was about?

Don't be surprised if it turns out to be simply some attempt to sell an add-on, such as insurance. That'd be quite infuriating.

You've not put anything in writing?

If at some point in the future there's any dispute about who did or didn't call you have no proof.

I suggest you e-mail, include your full name, address, phone number, e-mail address (yes, put it in the e-mail), booking ref, & any other info. and a note of the calls you made & to whom, as best you can remember.

You may well get an automated e-mail acknowledgement within a couple of minutes - more proof of any subsequent failure to respond.

I think I'd also set a deadline for a full response.

JB :) (from a land where we're used to this sort of customer service ;))

Did you book direct or with a TA?

If direct

I would just call their main number & give your booking number & ask if there are any problems

Do not ask for Nicole as she seems to be not available ;)

If you used a TA call them

Have you seen the cabin you want? American Cruise Lines had an empty ship once when we were in Nassau. They go past our house on the Intracoastal Waterway in North Carolina. I spoke to them about this and we were given a tour of the ship. There are no pools, no hot tubs or anything on the deck. It is a BYOB ship but they have setups. There is no entertainment but they have a piano in the one lounge if a passenger wants to play it.

They have a bridge than sinks so the ship can go thru the bridges on the Ernie Canal after leaving New York City.

But. the cabins are something we have NEVER seen. They are so small there is a curtain, not a door, for the bathroom. There is no place to even sit in the cabin, just the bed. I don't remember what they had for a closet of bureau for underwear, etc.

We saw VERY few passengers and those we did see where old like us! Maybe you should think of a different cruise. Heard there are a few on the Great Lakes- or Caribbean!?!?

Have you seen the cabin you want? American Cruise Lines had an empty ship once when we were in Nassau.

Are you sure it was not

ACCL now Blount

Your description sound like their cabins

After all the attempts you have made have met with a brick wall, I would place another call and this is how it would go:

"Hello, this is (insert your name here); we have booked two trips - Nashville to Cincinnati and Cincinnati to Pittsburgh. I am calling to cancel these trips and want my deposit back." That should light a fire under someone.

Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with a company who doesn't have time for paying clients. You deserve better than that.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Edited by ger_77

This sounds very frustrating, but I would be happy to place money on it being a sales call and that's why they're not taking it seriously at all.

I would be writing a very strongly worded letter to them detailing it and saying that the customer support experience you'd had was completely unacceptable. Honestly, as small as it might seem, something like this would make me think twice about booking with that cruise line again. Customers should be valued and communication is key, I would want to be confident that if communication was required, it would be available. What if this was a serious issue and this is their level of customer service!

Never heard of these guys. Sounds like they may be in financial trouble. Cancel by phone, Email and maybe certified mail immdiately in my opinion. So many wonderful lines out there to choose from that will treat you beautifully.

It's why we have booked nearly all of our cruises through good cruise agencies. If we have a problem/question we get fast responses, there is little to no hold time on phone calls, and we also save money.

Hank

If this is how they are treating you now, can you imagine what they will be like if you have an issue while aboard and want to speak with someone about it when you return.

I would not wish to continue with plans to sail with this company.

Still waiting for 2 call backs from HAL and one from Celebrity after 2 or 3 years.

I second using a TA. They have more skin in the game than an overworked/untrained employee of a cruise company.

Those call backs would be for after the cruise. Not much practical you can do about it now.

OP is dealing with a cruise yet to occur. There are remedies available assuming they have not made final payment and perhaps would suffer no cancellation penalty.

Considering these days of email, I would think if there was something the OP really needed to know, the cruise line would email. I'm guessing this Nicole was trying to sell you something, but in that case, she undoubtedly lost any chance to sell you whatever it was.

My calls were all on cruises that we were taking.

My point was that I never received a call back or an email response on any of the three calls.

Tongue in cheek, I am still waiting for two responses from HAL and one from Celebrity. We have pretty much voted with our feet and with our wallets on HAL.

So far, as it concerns responding to customer questions on the phone lines Princess and RCI are tied at the top our list for timeliness, accuracy of response, and thoroughness. The latter having the edge on a slightly more complicated issue that involved cruise air. HAL and Celebrity are considerably further down on our customer response scale!

Edited by iancal