has anyone cruised in february out of new york.

johnnycruise67

I have cruised 3 times out of NYC in February. Two times it was actually mild (in the 40s) and once cold in the 30s. No snow...and always ate outside at the Sail Away Party Buffet! Don't worry, you'll be heading south and into warmer weather, I assume. Sailing out of NYC is wonderful regardless of the season...a thrill as you go down the Hudson and go under the Verrazano Bridge. I have done that 16 times, and it is still special. You aren't crazy, just lucky!

My girlfriend and i are thinking of doing the jewel again but this time in the winter. anyone have any thoughts, aside from the usual "are you crazy its gonna be snowing" comments

thanks

john

We cruised on the Gem in Feb of 2008. The weather was cold in NYC but the ride down and back was surprisingly smooth. By the next afternoon it was warm enough to walk around without a coat. The pools are heated so there were people swimming and many people using the hot tubs. The weather in Florida and Bahamas was in the high 70's or low 80's. It was a very enjoyable trip. We also cruised again on the Gem in Dec of 2008 and the weather was similar. However, the seas were not so calm. Would not hesitate to cruise out of NYC in winter.

Sailing out of NYC is wonderful regardless of the season...a thrill as you go down the Hudson and go under the Verrazano Bridge. I have done that 16 times, and it is still special. You aren't crazy, just lucky!

I agree! It is the best out of out of all the ports I've had the pleasure of sailing out of (Miami, Ft Lauderdale, New Orleans, Seattle). I loved sailing past the Statue of Liberty and "barely" making it under the Verazzano...super cool!

My girlfriend and i are thinking of doing the jewel again but this time in the winter. anyone have any thoughts, aside from the usual "are you crazy its gonna be snowing" comments

thanks

john

John,

No worries mate...............we have cruised mid Jan. and Feb. out of New York. It is so wonderful to escape winter and after your first sea day...........your heading to the warmth and sunshine of Paradise. Anytime sailing out of New York is a magical experience and coming home in the early morning is a breathtaking show of the city lights etc.

Go,,,,,,,,,,,enoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just bring a snow scrapper brush thingie for your car if you park it at the port..............:>)!

We sailed the Dawn out of NY to Florida & the Bahamas a few years back. It had snowed that morning so they were shoveling the pool deck. However, the sun was out & it was actually warm enough to sit out on my balcony in the sun in just a sweatshirt. Of course once we got under way it got very windy & not too many people braved the outdoors. The only time it was choppy was when we passed Cape Hatteras.

It's true what others have said, that it gets warmer by the next day & people were sunbathing by the pool, but a lot were wrapped in towels to keep warm. Unfortunately we hit one of the coldest winter spells that Miami ever had & my poor kids were freezing in sweatshirts at Parrot Jungle Island. I felt bad that I hadn't brought warmer clothes for them to wear. It was in the 70s in the Bahamas but it ended up being overcast & dreary. The cruise was a lot of fun, but we prefer to cruise when the weather is much warmer.

One additional note on cruising from NY in the winter. While we were on our Feb. 2010 cruise nearly two feet of snow fell in NY, and all the cars parked at the cruise terminal were buried in it. We had to find a porter willing to shovel our car out (for a substantial gratuity, of course).

Edited by njhorseman

We were on the Gem out of NY the last week of February last year and the weather was not an issue but the ship was sold out and quite a zoo as it is spring break for Canada. The ship was sold out and then some, and we wouldn't choose that week again as it was quite stressful with so many people

It is great having a vacation on the calendar to head south after a few months of a northeast winter though and as others have said, by your first sea day it starts to get warm.

One additional note on cruising from NY in the winter. While we were on our Feb. 2010 cruise nearly two feet of snow fell in NY, and all the cars parked at the cruise terminal were buried in it. We had to find a porter willing to shovel our car out (for a substantial gratuity, of course).

Well I bet we were on the same cruise ( 20 feb on the Gem ) because we had to shovel our way out :eek: . It was crazy on the roof top of the parking. Thank god I had a 4X4 to get me out of there :D .

But ..... I would do it again in a hart beat....:):)

Edited by sebas030

Unfortunately we hit one of the coldest winter spells that Miami ever had & my poor kids were freezing in sweatshirts at Parrot Jungle Island. I felt bad that I hadn't brought warmer clothes for them to wear.

People don't realize that Miami can get cold in the winter, too. 30's are not common, but they do happen. When it drops below 32 degrees, the iguanas literally start falling out of trees, they can't handle the cold.

We've been in Miami when they are experiencing 30's, they all drag out thier winter woolies, it is kinda funny. When I lived there, I had the ultimate Miami winter clothing article...a halter sweater, lol.

Sailed out of NYC on the Gem in February in 2009. Prior to that we'd cruised only in summer. What we soon realized was that all of those people who spend much of their cruise by the pool deck, on the top deck, the basketball court, etc. during summer cruises were looking for places to hang out inside. So the lounges, buffet, fitness area and other areas were crowded the first couple of days and the last day or so...seats and treadmills were hard to come by. But, once we got close to Florida, it started to be warm enough for people to use the open decks and the crowds in the lounges thinned out. My oddest memory was going to the library to find a quiet place to read and it was standing room only... had to wait for a seat to become available! As far as the ocean, it was smooth sailing...no problems at all. We are sailing again in winter this January. This time, we know we'll probably spend a bit more time in our cabin than we do during the summer cruises and will be prepared. After all, any day on a cruiseship is better than spending the day in an office.

We sailed out of NYC in January 2008. A huge snow storm was coming. It didn't snow when we left, but it snowed later that night. It was awesome being on a cruise ship and having it snow. The next morning we woke up and it was sunny and warm enough to wear shorts. Don't sweat it... you are heading to the sunny warm Caribbean. As long as you make it to the ship you will have a great time.

I hate to post this, because I'd frankly rather keep it a secret....

Cruising out of N.Y. in February was awesome! Just avoiding the flight to Florida alone was worth it ! ! ! I'm SO sick of flying ! ! ! Instead of wasting our first and last days in airports, we drove from Massachusetts to Manhattan (just over 2 hours) and were on board and in the sun by noon. It was a sunny day and the pool deck was warm enough to wear shorts and a light jacket. I opened our slider on day one and didn't close it until we ported a week later. On day 2 by noontime we were just east of the North and South Carolina border. We were able to lay in the sun on the upper deck. Although it was only in the lower to mid 60's it sure seemed warm as compared to where we came from. By day 3, temps were in the 70s. The sea was as smooth as glass all the way down. In contrast, the seas were considerably rougher coming home, and it seemed to get colder quicker. Still a great time. We spent alot of time and met alot of fun folks in the hot tubs scattered around the pool deck. Just dangling your legs from the knees down in the hot water was enough to tolerate the 50 degree temps. The worst part of that sailing was the itinerary. The first port was Canaveral, not really worth getting off the ship. Next was Nassau...cool if you've never been, but again - not worth getting off the ship if you've been there. The private bahamian island was decent as usual....crowded, but fun. Again, you could have easily stayed on board the ship and enjoyed having the pool and deck all to yourself!

Booked again on the Gem for this Feb. Not sure we'll go as I just booked some crazy cool, but expensive villas on the Dawn sailing out of Boston to Bermuda next June. Boston is an awesome home port too!

Have a blast! I think you'll be hooked on these northern ports!

Edited by cruiser willy
typo

Here is the good part of cruising when the weather turns bad. It might snow, but the ship will still sail. Meanwhile, those "other" people are at the airport and in a bad mood because their flight is canceled and they are going to miss their cruise.

Life's a beach!

Love cruising out of NYC..only time it was really bad was Feb 2006.

We were late getting back in to NY, due to very rough seas....only to find out that NYC was closed due to snow...all flights cancelled...took 4 hrs to get shuttle from LGA to the Marriot hotel across the highway! We could see it - just couldn't get there. lol

Crazy! not a perfect ending to the cruise...but seeing inches of snow on our balcony was definitely memorable! lol

This is photo of Central Park...that day...

22954886_centralparkinsnow.jpg.ee95c36ca9636bb4b0c46e99a7ba2a82.jpg

This is our view from Marriot that night...

1443358697_viewfrommarriot.jpg.74f6960a9e06a9977a106777ac1f39c3.jpg

We have sailed out of New York many times during December and January and frankly I love it.

It's so magical to leave the frigid, overcast skies of Manhattan and within a day a half the weather gradually turns balmy.

Just give yourself a day to get to New York so your arrival is not hindered by weather.

Have a great cruise.

Jonathan

• 5 years later...
I hate to post this, because I'd frankly rather keep it a secret....

Cruising out of N.Y. in February was awesome! Just avoiding the flight to Florida alone was worth it ! ! ! I'm SO sick of flying ! ! ! Instead of wasting our first and last days in airports, we drove from Massachusetts to Manhattan (just over 2 hours) and were on board and in the sun by noon. It was a sunny day and the pool deck was warm enough to wear shorts and a light jacket. I opened our slider on day one and didn't close it until we ported a week later. On day 2 by noontime we were just east of the North and South Carolina border. We were able to lay in the sun on the upper deck. Although it was only in the lower to mid 60's it sure seemed warm as compared to where we came from. By day 3, temps were in the 70s. The sea was as smooth as glass all the way down. In contrast, the seas were considerably rougher coming home, and it seemed to get colder quicker. Still a great time. We spent alot of time and met alot of fun folks in the hot tubs scattered around the pool deck. Just dangling your legs from the knees down in the hot water was enough to tolerate the 50 degree temps. The worst part of that sailing was the itinerary. The first port was Canaveral, not really worth getting off the ship. Next was Nassau...cool if you've never been, but again - not worth getting off the ship if you've been there. The private bahamian island was decent as usual....crowded, but fun. Again, you could have easily stayed on board the ship and enjoyed having the pool and deck all to yourself!

Booked again on the Gem for this Feb. Not sure we'll go as I just booked some crazy cool, but expensive villas on the Dawn sailing out of Boston to Bermuda next June. Boston is an awesome home port too!

Have a blast! I think you'll be hooked on these northern ports!

I'm so excited!! Thank you - just booked 2/12/17 out of NY - we live there and was not paying for airfare to fly to Florida so it was a bargain - was worried about the weather.

I hope this resurrected thread gets read by the decision-makers at all lines. Cruising out of New York in winter is great, but sadly the choices are limited: essentially it is Royal Caribbean's monster of the sea or NCL's Freestyle.

If only HAL, Celebrity, Princess, etc. would offer regular winter sailings from NY.

I personally like Manhattan in the winter. You can visit all the museums and go to the shows which are all empty. Good hotels are under $100 a night. The streets are only filled with New Yorkers and very few tourists, so it is easy to get around. Manhattan is truly a different place from January until March. I personally don't like Manhattan in the summer since it is sweltering with heat and humidity and it is impossible to escape the tourists.

Cruising out in the winter can be a good or bad experience. The chances of you hitting a big blizzard or nor easter storm are small, but possible. New York gets a sufficient amount of snow that at least once a winter there is an impossible amount of snow that shuts streets and subways down. If you are staying in the city it is fine. I don't know how the cruises handled the blizzard that we got last year. We all know what happened to Anthem of the Seas in the big storm. While the chances of you being affected by a winter storm are low, they still exist. It's probably the same risk as dealing with hurricanes in the summer in the Caribbean.

The only thing that has stopped me from taking a cruise from New York is that an itinerary to Port Canaveral and Nassau is not particularly appealing. I'm not the biggest fan of sea days, so I don't really want 3 sea days to only get to visit Florida & the Bahamas. I can't get enough time off to take a longer cruise all the way to Puerto Rico and also I think I'd prefer to fly rather than sail multiple days to get there.

Did that like 2 or 3 times out of NYC in Feb. and also in March, just be mindful of school breaks & their calendars if you prefer fewer than 500 children vs. 1,000+ children. Watch for last minute deals for late January/early February if the sailings aren't filling up & prices dropped, and, you have flexibility in travel plans & taking time off (not everyone can request & get employer to approve 8 to 10 days off in the beginning of a calendar year ... self-employed & retirees excluded)

I only fly domestic for business in the winter months or unless it's absolutely needed for personal reasons - dealing with cancelled, delayed or missed flight connections outbound & inbound, and at airline hubs at other gateway cities. In very rare instances, ships docked will delayed sailing by a few hours due to blizzards & massive storms but otherwise, it will be work it way down the Hudson & Lower Bay even with iced waterways - slowly if necessary. Pools & hot tubs are heated and by afternoon of day 2, it's warm enough by the Carolina's to be outdoors & sunbathers are out in force on the open deck. On the return trip, a hoodies next to the garden buffet or MDR beats running for airport, sitting at the gates looking at the "boarding soon" signs to come on, and paying for overpriced airport concession food ... not to mention very generous room all around, always beating those First-Business class seats on the flying metal tin can with the shared, nasty toilet closet (and, no hot showers).

The choices for 2017 are limited as noted - Port Canaveral is a poor stop, IMHO, so look for a 8+ days Caribbean run ... haven't really look lately to see, longer sea days plus better ports are the key.

I personally like Manhattan in the winter. You can visit all the museums and go to the shows which are all empty. Good hotels are under $100 a night. The streets are only filled with New Yorkers and very few tourists, so it is easy to get around. Manhattan is truly a different place from January until March. I personally don't like Manhattan in the summer since it is sweltering with heat and humidity and it is impossible to escape the tourists.

prices are lower, but I've never seen a "good hotel" in Manhattan under $150 at any time of year. At least not since the 20th century