Darwin ?

Just another hint. If you arrive there on a Sunday, suggest you pre book a tour, as there is not a great deal open in Darwin on these days. Litchfield National Park is accessible and worth a look. Plenty of local buslines doing tours there, including half dayers.

Jen

We were there on a cruise within the last month and we and another couple rented a car and drove to Litchfield. The day started with a heavy downpour but cleared and made the waterfalls at Litchfield even better due to the rain. The magnetic termite mounds are amazing, in both size and construction.

We did have to take a taxi to get to the car rental place, but they drove us back to the port upon our return. We'd have liked to see some of Darwin itself, but didn't have time with the trip to Litchfield.

• 2 weeks later...
Make sure you visit the muesum about Cyclone Tracey - 1974. It is an excellent muesum about the cyclone and has a section were you can hear the noise (roar) of the cyclone.

I second this!!

I lived up there for a few years and when people ask me to reccomend to them what shouldnt they miss while visiting Darwin is both the museum and the jumping crocodile cruise.

• 3 years later...
We were there on a cruise within the last month and we and another couple rented a car and drove to Litchfield. The day started with a heavy downpour but cleared and made the waterfalls at Litchfield even better due to the rain. The magnetic termite mounds are amazing, in both size and construction.

We did have to take a taxi to get to the car rental place, but they drove us back to the port upon our return. We'd have liked to see some of Darwin itself, but didn't have time with the trip to Litchfield.

tjcox I know that this is what some in our small group would love to do..rent a car...did you find the logistics difficult? what about the drive up there and back? What time did your ship dock? Thank you for any information. Cruisy Susy

tjcox I know that this is what some in our small group would love to do..rent a car...did you find the logistics difficult? what about the drive up there and back? What time did your ship dock? Thank you for any information. Cruisy Susy

Oh my, a blast from the past. That was so long ago, I don't have any idea what time we docked. Our biggest logistical issue was the heavy downpour of rain that was happening as we were ready to get a cab to go to the rental agency. And then, once we rented the car, it poured down again. It did let up and we had a nice day. Other logistical issue was having to drive on the wrong ;) side of the road.

We have visited Darwin twice on Cruise Ships. First one was on the Sun Princess Top end cruise Syd-Perth. We pre-booked a Limo from Darryl for two hours which we shared with another couple. Very affordable way of visiting the local sights around Darwin.

Second visit was when we were on Celebrity Solstice doing a reverse top end cruise earlier this year. This time we arranged a tour of Darwin to see the WW2 history. Absolutely fascinating and well worth the modest cost. The owner/driver was a well informed local, and everyone in our group had a fantastic time. The visit to the War Museum was a highlight.

Yes, Sundays in Darwin are a little flat, but we spent a comfortable hour wandering around the shops that were open in the main street. We were both surprised that the touristy souvenir shops did not seem to be too much of a rip off.

The drive to the eastern entrance of Litchfield National Park from Darwin is close to 2 hours. So, that's 4 hours of driving plus the time you'd spend in the park--a minimum of 4 hours for sightseeing and driving from the eastern entrance to Wangi Falls and back. That's an 8 hour minimum + whatever time it takes to arrange for the rental car pickup and return. Will you have this much time in port?

The lengthy time needed for a trip to Litchfield is why most cruisers have to skip visiting there. But there's lots of cool things to see and do in Darwin itself--one of my favorite places in Australia.

Archived