Westerdam---Me and the wife

Horsegoer

Ship is beautiful and she is a very old girl, built 1999.

The Westerdam isn't a "very old girl". She entered service in 2004.

Ten years isn't "old" for a ship, as they are built to last much longer than that.

The Westerdam isn't a "very old girl". She entered service in 2004.

Ten years isn't "old" for a ship, as they are built to last much longer than that.

You are correct I must be having a senior moment. She is very beautiful and I love the Classic Old School Ocean Liner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Me and the wife are 35 & 40 and are thinking of taking this cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale to the Carribean A few questions.

What crowd is this geared toward?

Is this ship newer?

Any other info would be helpful.

Thanks a lot.

Here is a photographic tour of the Westerdam (July 2014)

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1561

Here are the scanned (PDF) menus for Specialty Restaurants, Beverages, and Room Service (free 24/7):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=908

Examples of daily activities are also available under the Travel menu on my website. Under the HAL menus, you can see last seasons Main Dining Room and Lido Restaurant menus for both lunch and dinner.

I hope the above is a good head start for your decision making.

Great collection of pictures but not all are updated. There's some visual whiplash that goes on. The aft pool deck chairs are striped. Then solid. Then striped. The show lounge is white seating. Then black. Great pictures but to show off the ship's current beauty it might serve well to filter out the images that no longer apply. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Forums

Great collection of pictures but not all are updated. There's some visual whiplash that goes on. The aft pool deck chairs are striped. Then solid. Then striped. The show lounge is white seating. Then black. Great pictures but to show off the ship's current beauty it might serve well to filter out the images that no longer apply. Just my opinion.

That is a very good suggestion. We are sailing on the Westerdam for the first time in April and I was keen to see the pictures. It would be nice to know which ones are the latest with regard to the showroom and pool area. I'll check back in a few days and maybe the older pictures that no longer apply will have been weeded out.

Me and the wife are 35 & 40 and are thinking of taking this cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale to the Carribean A few questions.

What crowd is this geared toward?

Is this ship newer?

Any other info would be helpful.

Thanks a lot.

The Westerdam is a very nice ship in very good condition (we were on her a year ago). As I recall, she is newer than her sister ships (Zuiderdam and Oosterdam) which also are in good shape. In fact, I am sailing on one of them very soon, so obviously not concerned about the age and condition. Every HAL ship is a bit different (I think Westerdam has a chocolate shop but not a very good theater for example).

The crowd varies by location and time of year. For example, on your Caribbean cruise you will see a younger crowd (including kids) if you go over the holidays on a 7 day. If you go on a 10-14 day cruise in early Dec. the crowd will be older.

To be sure, HAL is more laid back and relaxed than say Carnival or Royal Caribbean. You will see different types of activities (no hairy chest contests for example) and late evening is generally quieter on HAL.

HAL is known for its great crew and other staff (including on land ones). They are genuinely eager to assist you in any way they can and we have found them always willing to go the extra mile for you.

Have a great time.

DaveOKC

OP can also check out HALfacts.com (link is in my signature).

All the pics there show the dates they were taken I believe.

Crew News posted the photos he took this past July (2014), just 3 months ago. This would tell me, from your comment to Crew News, that the Westerdam has had some new furniture added in the time we were on her (for 2 weeks July 2014) and your observational time.

Joanie

Crew News I thought your photo's were great. I have not sailed on the WDAM but I noticed that you did state that your photos were from July 2014. They are your photos of your trip and I do not see why you need to delete any.

If someone has newer photos then let them put those on and we can all enjoy those as well.

There that's my soapbox for the day. JMOP.

Helen

The photos Posted are ALL from July 2014, just as HE, Crew News Stated, not only in his original Post on this Thread, but also on HIS website link to the Westerdam July 2014, not to any of our other cruise on Westerdam.

EDITED TO ADD: Thank You hpf, aka Helen:)

IRL_Joanie

Sorry, I just realized when I went to hubby's (Crew News's) site for the Westerdam Ship Photos that there are actually a couple photos that were taken in December 2012. There might be some refurbishment of some things, but overall you can gauge for yourself, OP what the ship "Feels" like by going to halfacts.com and comparing.

Joanie

Crew News I thought your photo's were great. I have not sailed on the WDAM but I noticed that you did state that your photos were from July 2014. They are your photos of your trip and I do not see why you need to delete any.

If someone has newer photos then let them put those on and we can all enjoy those as well.

Helen

Thanks Helen for the compliment. I created my PDF file on a request from a new HAL cruiser who could find only five photographs of the Westerdam public areas (marked 2004) from another website frequently referenced on the HAL Forum. To satisfy several CC members, I have added a caveat that my images cover both the Caribbean and Alaska mode of the ship.

The file was created for new-cruiser orientation purposes and CC feedback indicates that my effort has been very successful.

Every HAL ship is a bit different (I think Westerdam has a chocolate shop but not a very good theater for example).

DaveOKC

You are indeed correct. The Westerdam does not have a dedicated movie theater. Movies are shown in the Culinary Arts Center with lots of seats that are not as comfortable as the dedicated theater seats on other ships.

The Westerdam does have a chocolate shop with only a few tables.

The Westerdam does have a chocolate shop with only a few tables.

We'll been on the Westerdam again in January, but I've never heard of a chocolate shop. What exactly is this and where is it located?

Our 16-year granddaughter will be with sailing with us again and she's a chocolate fanatic.

Thanks

We'll been on the Westerdam again in January, but I've never heard of a chocolate shop. What exactly is this and where is it located?

Our 16-year granddaughter will be with sailing with us again and she's a chocolate fanatic.

Thanks

The real name is Chocolate Seduction and it is located just forward of the Shops on Deck 3. You can see photographs of it on my Westerdam link posted earlier on this thread.

Here is the menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IMG_0756.pdf

They also sell candy.

Edited by Crew News

The Westerdam is a very nice ship in very good condition (we were on her a year ago). As I recall, she is newer than her sister ships (Zuiderdam and Oosterdam) which also are in good shape. In fact, I am sailing on one of them very soon, so obviously not concerned about the age and condition. Every HAL ship is a bit different (I think Westerdam has a chocolate shop but not a very good theater for example).

The crowd varies by location and time of year. For example, on your Caribbean cruise you will see a younger crowd (including kids) if you go over the holidays on a 7 day. If you go on a 10-14 day cruise in early Dec. the crowd will be older.

To be sure, HAL is more laid back and relaxed than say Carnival or Royal Caribbean. You will see different types of activities (no hairy chest contests for example) and late evening is generally quieter on HAL.

HAL is known for its great crew and other staff (including on land ones). They are genuinely eager to assist you in any way they can and we have found them always willing to go the extra mile for you.

Have a great time.

DaveOKC

Very well put. Right on the mark.

Have a great time.

DaveOKC

Good info, Dave. How would you compare the Zuiderdam to the Westerdam - or are they pretty much the same? I've been on the Zuiderdam several times (and yes I think the decor is garish, so hoping the W'dam is better). Too bad there is no dedicated movie theatre though - those are great for bad weather sea days.;)

Good info, Dave. How would you compare the Zuiderdam to the Westerdam - or are they pretty much the same? I've been on the Zuiderdam several times (and yes I think the decor is garish, so hoping the W'dam is better). Too bad there is no dedicated movie theatre though - those are great for bad weather sea days.;)

Not Dave, but if I may, I prefer the Westerdam over the Zuiderdam.

Not quite as garish and there is just something about this ship. It seems to have more spirit than the Zuiderdam.

It's the first to test new entertainment and last time we were on, the new entertainment was amazing! Full turnout in the show rooms for it, too.

The repeat passenger ratio is the highest in the HAL fleet next to the Prinsendam and for good reason :)

Not Dave, but if I may, I prefer the Westerdam over the Zuiderdam.

Not quite as garish and there is just something about this ship. It seems to have more spirit than the Zuiderdam. :)

I also agree with this statement, as we've been on both ships three times. The Westerdam seems to have a classier look and feel. Looking forward to embarking on the Westerdam in 77 days. :)

Helen

I'm not saying anyone has to delete any pics. But not all of those pics are from July 2014... among other things the entire show lounge didn't change seating and there are christmas trees in some of the pictures.

The pics are fantastic and I feel like my post may have come across as critical. It was meant to be helpful with regard to the OP's questions

Crew News posted the photos he took this past July (2014), just 3 months ago. This would tell me, from your comment to Crew News, that the Westerdam has had some new furniture added in the time we were on her (for 2 weeks July 2014) and your observational time.

Joanie

I was on Westerdam in both June and September. The latest changes were from the March/April dry dock. I forget exactly when it took place.

As I mentioned in my other reply, these pictures are not ALL from July 2014 as stated because (and this is the obvious example) there are Christmas trees in several of the pictures