1st case of locally acquired chikungunya reported in Florida

jenp123

Here is a report from NBC dated July 17, 2014 title "It's Here: First Local Chikungunya Cases in Florida".http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/its-here-first-local-chikungunya-cases-florida-n158746

I'm pretty sure CNN reported the outbreak months ago, but it has received little attention since then.

Perhaps because Ebola has a higher mortality rate and is a fast moving epidemic, it has garnered more attention? Not to say that Chikungunya should be ignored by anyone travelling to the Caribbean.

Edited by Salacia

We get more international news and Canadian news and it hasn't been something I remember hearing...but that said...I am out of the house at 4:30 in the morning so it would have to be pretty big news for me to hear about it by either the all news radio between 4:30 and 5:30 in the morning or the 6:00 news on TV at night and I would have to be sitting and watching it at that time.

No, Ebola has my attention and I have not heard of Chikungunya. But I have not plans to go to the Caribbean this winter and Florida in April so that may play a factor in my attention too.

For the record...I NEVER watch CNN. Too sensational for me so it isn't on my radar.

Edited by 1of4

I had never heard of this virus so I used google and came up with this timely news item

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/chikungunya-mosquito-borne-virus-infected-more-than-200-canadians-1.2808678

Our NA cruise in Dec is scheduled to stop in Jamaica but after reading this we will not be getting off the ship and wonder if HAL is paying attention and considering not going there.

For years when we travel to the Caribbean we always bring off with us as a precaution.

IIRC we've had a handful of confirmed cases here in FL. It's not fatal which is probably why it's been pushed from the headlines as more pressing issues are now being reported.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are planning an excursion in the Caribbean, pack mosquito repellent. The disease is pretty rare, and is not the only mosquito-born disease out there. We pack a DEET based spray whenever we vacation. It's effective against mosquitoes and ticks, so it should cover you from the Caribbean to Canada. There are products now that are a dry, pleasantly-scented. formula

Our NA cruise in Dec is scheduled to stop in Jamaica but after reading this we will not be getting off the ship and wonder if HAL is paying attention and considering not going there.

Please don't skip any ports. Just use DEET and enjoy yourselves. We spent 2 weeks in St. Maarten last winter and there were lots of people there who were talking about it. They either had a spouse or friends who had come down with it. I think you could skip all the ports in the Caribbean if you were paranoid. Go and enjoy.

We are definitely taking Off wipes with DEET with us, as we will be stopping in St. Maarten. Also DH is allergic to any stings, and suffers for weeks after the merest mosquito bite, so we'll have lots of Benadryl with us. He hasn't had anything that required an epi-pen for many years, so hoping the Benadryl is enough.

Talking about Ebola, our DD drove over the border (near Vancouver) the other day, and was quizzed about whether she had been in West Africa recently. So they're really taking that seriously. No questions about chikungunya!:)

I have been monitoring this for a long time. Go to CDC put in which Caribbiean port you are going to and it gives you all the info you need. Doing Costa Rica next week and will be bringing my deet. Also I will keep monitoring Caribbiean for when we go in March. To me protecting your self with deet is all you need.

3STAR becoming 4 next sailing

Sailing Nieuw Amsterdam B2B western/eastern Caribbiean Cruise 3/15/2015

Another thought: if I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong), but chikungunya is not transmittable from person to person, right? I thought that one could only get it from mosquitoes. It appears (to me) that most people get more worked up about viruses that spread person to person. I'm sure, as another poster said, that the mortality rate of ebola is cause for so much of the worry, too, as opposed to chikungunya.

Another thought: if I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong), but chikungunya is not transmittable from person to person, right? I thought that one could only get it from mosquitoes. It appears (to me) that most people get more worked up about viruses that spread person to person. I'm sure, as another poster said, that the mortality rate of ebola is cause for so much of the worry, too, as opposed to chikungunya.

Only through mosquitos. Again go to the CDC.org for all info

3STAR becoming 4 on next cruise

Sailing Nieuw Amsterdam western/eastern Caribbiean Cruise 3/15/2015

Please don't skip any ports. Just use DEET and enjoy yourselves. We spent 2 weeks in St. Maarten last winter and there were lots of people there who were talking about it. They either had a spouse or friends who had come down with it. I think you could skip all the ports in the Caribbean if you were paranoid. Go and enjoy.

The government of Jamaica declared an emergency situation and you suggest I'm paranoid???:confused:

Jamaica is my least favourite place anyway so I will just stay on the ship. No loss there.

The government of Jamaica declared an emergency situation and you suggest I'm paranoid???:confused:

Jamaica is my least favourite place anyway so I will just stay on the ship. No loss there.

Mosquitoes doesn't adhere to land borders - docking there will give many mosquitoes their opportunity to ride along with the ship.

I find it interesting that there is a 19 page thread on Ebola but no mention of chikungunya...this is actually present in the Caribbean and Florida. Guess it won't become an issue unless CNN picks it up

Sorry you didn't come across any of the threads about this illness but there have been threads about it on the San Juan and St. Maarten forums as well as here.

Talking about Ebola, our DD drove over the border (near Vancouver) the other day, and was quizzed about whether she had been in West Africa recently. So they're really taking that seriously. No questions about chikungunya!:)

It can only be passed by mosquitoes. It probably wouldn't make sense to ask her about it. (She's not a mosquito, right? ;))

POA is at it again!:D

You're right, she's not a mosquito. Do you think the Floridian mosquitoes got it from infected people, or have the St. Maarten mosquitoes been immigrating to Florida?

Edited by Vict0riann