doctor's note?

jolson56

I broke my leg last year and now have a rod in it.

This will be picked up in a scan, so is a note necessary?

Thanks in advance!

I had a knee replacement in 2012 so I set off the scanner just about every time. They just use the wand then let me through.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I have an ankle replacement and have a medical card stating so, and the first time I cruised after the replacement they wanded me after I told them about it. But,after that I just started waking through and nothing beeped or anything. Maybe the ankle is too low to be picked up by the scanner. Don't know if that would be the case if I would fly. We always drive to the port.

Gwen :)

i've had a rod in my femur for about 7 years now and have never set a scanner off. i do have a wallet card just in case but after traveling multiple times over the last 7 years i am pretty certain it will not set anything off.

I asked about a card but was told it wasn't being done anymore. Apparently the reasoning is that anyone could show a card and they are easy to fake. I had a plate & 7 screws put in my ankle 2 yrs. ago and only once in 4 cruises have they even noticed. I just showed my scar, was wanded and then went on my way. I would certainly hope that things such as auto defibrillators, Pacemakers, etc. would get a card!

I have a hip replacement and fly quite a bit. While I do carry a card no one ever asks for it. I also carry a health and rabies certificate for the cat that often flies with me - no one ever asks for that either. I think the look for certain things and don't care about others.

I am an orthopedic surgeon. I no longer give out the cards because they are worthless. A terrorist could show a card and have a gun in their pocket so the tsa agents just completely disregard them. All you need to do is tell the tsa agent you have a metallic implant. They will scan the leg with the wand to confirm that it is I fact that leg that is setting off the scanner. They will look at your leg and make sure you are not armed. You will be on the ship in no time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am an orthopedic surgeon. I no longer give out the cards because they are worthless. A terrorist could show a card and have a gun in their pocket so the tsa agents just completely disregard them. All you need to do is tell the tsa agent you have a metallic implant. They will scan the leg with the wand to confirm that it is I fact that leg that is setting off the scanner. They will look at your leg and make sure you are not armed. You will be on the ship in no time.

Thanks for all the helpful information:)

Some medical implants are made of metals that do not set off security alarms. These metals are not of the type that are used to make weapons, so no worries. Some people think that their joint replacements will set of security, so they don't empty out their pockets, or remove jewelry and that in fact is what is setting off the alarm.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

As a primary care physician, I can give you another good reason NOT to ask your doctor for a note: You can skip that to give him or her a break!:)

The sheer volume of ridiculous documentation that now comes across my desk on a daily basis is absolutely staggering. Getting a request for a note about an implant to save someone a matter of seconds that it takes walking though a metal detector is not something that will be found endearing in the middle of that pile of paperwork!;)

Edited by leisuretraveler223

As a primary care physician, I can give you another good reason NOT to ask your doctor for a note: You can skip that to give him or her a break!:)

The sheer volume of ridiculous documentation that now comes across my desk on a daily basis is absolutely staggering. Getting a request for a note about an implant to save someone a matter of seconds that it takes walking though a metal detector is not something that will be found endearing in the middle of that pile of paperwork!;)

This is the second thread that I have noticed your replies seem to be a little harsh.

I had a knee replacement a year and a half ago, and while the card didn't help, the reason for not getting it wouldn't be to make my doctor's life easier. :confused: All I received from my doctor was a preprinted card that had my name written in it with the procedure and the date. This wasn't a big time requirement for my doctor. Unfortunately, as has been stated earlier, anyone can get their hands on these cards so they really don't help much. It totally depends on the TSA person as to what happens. I experienced getting wanded and also a FULL SCALE pat down from TSA :(.

Either way, you might want to read over your responses before you hit send. I really think you are trying to be helpful, but sarcasm doesn't really work well in this venue.

Edited by hgmizzou

rather use those few second generating another bill?

I have a knee replacement, and the airport security people always do a full pat-down even when I tell them about it. Not fun.

I get the pat down if it is a metal detector but I don't get stopped if it is the body scanner as they can see the knee replacement.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Seriously?

If it takes you 10 minutes total to dictate this note and sign it after it is prepared I would be greatly surprised [especially after you and your staff have done it a few times and have a form on the computer]. And you only have to do it once per patient. On the other hand the patient may save time for him/herself every time it is used, not to metion the time it might save for the security folks and the other people waiting in line. I understand it might be more useful some times than others, I would hardly agree that is amounts to "ridiculous documentation."

This is the second thread that I have noticed your replies seem to be a little harsh.

I had a knee replacement a year and a half ago, and while the card didn't help, the reason for not getting it wouldn't be to make my doctor's life easier. :confused: All I received from my doctor was a preprinted card that had my name written in it with the procedure and the date. This wasn't a big time requirement for my doctor. Unfortunately, as has been stated earlier, anyone can get their hands on these cards so they really don't help much. It totally depends on the TSA person as to what happens. I experienced getting wanded and also a FULL SCALE pat down from TSA :(.

Either way, you might want to read over your responses before you hit send. I really think you are trying to be helpful, but sarcasm doesn't really work well in this venue.

First, I in no way meant this response to be harsh. I think one of the problems on message boards is that it is impossible to infer tone correctly.

Second, I am familiar with the cards, which people sometimes receive from the orthopedist after surgery. The cards are a fairly dated concept that is rapidly disappearing. Twenty or thirty years ago, when metal prosthetics were much less common, the cards were given out to eliminate any confusion. Nowadays, it is so common that TSA is not at all surprised when someone says "I had a hip replacement", etc...

I was actually specifically referring to the request of a "note" (or realistically a letter) from a physician, as mentioned in the subject line. Knowing that hardware is as common as it is, and that having a letter is really unnecessary, and won't change what would happen if the individual simply told the screening personnel, I can only be honest about my reaction. If I saw a request for a letter/note for a patient about his or her metal implant, I'd kind of roll my eyes and think "really? this is what I do now?".

Seriously?

If it takes you 10 minutes total to dictate this note and sign it after it is prepared I would be greatly surprised [especially after you and your staff have done it a few times and have a form on the computer]. And you only have to do it once per patient. On the other hand the patient may save time for him/herself every time it is used, not to metion the time it might save for the security folks and the other people waiting in line. I understand it might be more useful some times than others, I would hardly agree that is amounts to "ridiculous documentation."

Again, I meant no offense. But in this day and age, the documentation won't save anything. Spend ten minutes at airport security and you will see multiple people tell the agent "I have a metal implant" etc...

Honestly, you would be shocked at the exponential increase in documentation that has been asked of primary care providers in the last few years. Most of which provides little or no purpose, other than to allow a proverbial box to be checked off for some arbitrary requirement.

I agree that it would not take long at all. It is more the old saying about the "straw that breaks the camel's back".

I think another reason for the card is because if I would have to have certain procedures done, I need to be given antibiotics before the procedure is done. If I would be unconscious for some reason, they would know to administer antibiotics if necessary. I was told this is done for anyone with a replacement joint.

I think another reason for the card is because if I would have to have certain procedures done, I need to be given antibiotics before the procedure is done. If I would be unconscious for some reason, they would know to administer antibiotics if necessary. I was told this is done for anyone with a replacement joint.

That is true. A card or a medical bracelet could help with this. But in reality, if you are incapacitated and require surgery, the possible reasons make it highly likely they would give you antibiotics anyhow...