Just Booked My First Azamara Cruise!

TxnAquarian

My partner and I just booked our first Azamara cruise, on the Journey for this December on the 9-night Brazil cruise. We decided to do a short one for our first time, as my partner is so hesitant to book with this line due to the small ship and old-fashioned decor. However, I have to say that the incredible itineraries are the big draw for me and I've been itching to try Azamara for awhile. I love overnight port visits and long stays, both of which Azamara really excels at. I'm really excited to see what this line is all about. Since we do two cruises a year, we might start doing one Celebrity (my partner's choice) and one Azamara a year =)

Michael

My partner and I just booked our first Azamara cruise, on the Journey for this December on the 9-night Brazil cruise. We decided to do a short one for our first time, as my partner is so hesitant to book with this line due to the small ship and old-fashioned decor. However, I have to say that the incredible itineraries are the big draw for me and I've been itching to try Azamara for awhile. I love overnight port visits and long stays, both of which Azamara really excels at. I'm really excited to see what this line is all about. Since we do two cruises a year, we might start doing one Celebrity (my partner's choice) and one Azamara a year =)

Michael

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the Azamara forum. Nice to have you with us, as I recognize your name from the Celebrity forum. Congrats on choosing Azamara. Based on your itinerary, I see you are sailing on Journey. Great ship - hope you get to sail with Captain Tysse. He's fantastic.

A few suggestions : please consider visiting the Roll Call for your sailing. As on Celebrity ships, Azamara offers the Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle, so I hope you register. Lastly, make sure to provide your TA or Azamara with your Captains Club number, as Azamara offers reciprocal benefits onboard their ships.

If you have any questions, it would be my pleasure to assist. Have a wonderful cruise !

Michael

Hi Michael, Congratulations on booking your first Azamara cruise. We have been on 'Journey' 3 times and have a 'Quest' cruise soon. I call the

decor 'elegant' rather than old fashioned. It is always a joy to be on Azamara and I am sure that the onboard experience will not disappoint.

Have a great cruise. Hapicruisin

Phxazzcruisers and Host Andy,

Tell me what aspects of Azamara you like better like what Celebrity offers. Help me get my partner more excited haha Also, can you explain to me what beverages are complimentary? I don't really understand how this works.

Michael

While service and staff on Celebrity are excellent, they are above excellent on Azamara. From the first time we sailed with them and every time after, we were ALWAYS greeted by everyone, from security to Butlers to waiters with Welcome home Mr Scott and Mr Gil. it always did feel like a great welcome home. The ships are much smaller and it is just, for us, a great warm welcoming experience. as good as the food is on Celebrity, and we love the food especially in Blu, it is even a notch netter on Azamara, especially in teh specialty restaurants.

Happy to answer any other questions

Hi Michael, Congratulations on booking your first Azamara cruise. We have been on 'Journey' 3 times and have a 'Quest' cruise soon. I call the

decor 'elegant' rather than old fashioned. It is always a joy to be on Azamara and I am sure that the onboard experience will not disappoint.

Have a great cruise. Hapicruisin

I agree...more elegant and traditional than old fashioned. Very beautiful.

Enjoy your first Azamara cruise...I'm sure you'll be back for more.

• 2 months later...

Often been on Azamara and love it. Our question pertains to the ports other than Rio in Brazil: Ilhabela, Buzios and a third I don't recall. Are there things do like hiking and places of interest ( other than a beach) or are tours necessary to see anything? We are looking at the Buenos Aires to Rio de J on 1/27/15

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did lots of Celebrity cruises before Azamara joined the "Family" and have only done 1 Celebrity since because we wanted to try the "S" class ships (which are wonderful) but it just (for us) does not compare to the Azamara experience. We truly feel "at home" when we are on board and count many of the staff as real friends that we enjoy both on board and on land.

Often been on Azamara and love it. Our question pertains to the ports other than Rio in Brazil: Ilhabela, Buzios and a third I don't recall. Are there things do like hiking and places of interest ( other than a beach) or are tours necessary to see anything? We are looking at the Buenos Aires to Rio de J on 1/27/15

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi sacaine, You should find out all the info you require if you go on your Azamara Roll Call for 1/27/15. If your questions are not answered then just

ask on your roll call. You will find there will be lots of people who have private trips organised and all sorts of useful information for you and only too happy to help you with your enquiries. Have a wonderful Azamara cruise.

Hapicruisin

We were on this itinerary three years ago and are spoiled for life! Here are some notes regarding ports other than Rio. In addition to joining your Roll Call, use Cruise Critic's search to find information about the ports you will visit.

Parati - we took the ship's rainforest excursion. You can also book it directly with the company. The ride was a bit bumpy but we all had a fantastic time at the two waterfalls we visited. Since it was humid, diving into the lagoon next to one of the waterfalls was divine. I bought a bottle of cachaca (flavored with cinnamon and cloves) at a cachaca distiller we visited. Mixed with eggnog, what a treat!

Ilhabela - we took the ship's kayaking trip. Only 75 minutes or so, near the shore, so not an expedition, but it was very pleasant. Friends who took the waterfall excursion came back covered in mosquito bites. The mosquitos in Ilhabela are particularly fierce so bring your most potent repellent.

Buzios - the weather did not cooperate with us. A lot of wind and rain. All we could do was walk around the town. Touristy, but we found some beautiful, Brazilian made bathing suits at good prices. Wish the weather had been better because we could have hired a boat to go to one of the beaches. There were plenty of boats for hire in Buzios and Parati.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!

After many years of Celebrity ships. Our only concern was everyone's comments on the terrible bathrooms and showers.

I really wouldn't worry. They are not like the Celebrity S-Class showers, but aren't terrible either. They are small, but very adequate. I've always found the showers to be fine too with a good shower head.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

After many years of Celebrity ships. Our only concern was everyone's comments on the terrible bathrooms and showers.

Small yes. Terrible? I don't think so. The storage is more than adequate (which is a plus--can't say the same about many other cruise line bathrooms). Call it "utilitarian." In the scheme of things that are important on an Azamara cruise, I'd rate it low. Real low. ;)

I really don't like the small shower either and I'm not a very big person...I really don't like the shower curtain against me but I figured out a way to stop it ;)...much prefer the doors on X but...did it stop me from booking another cruise on Azamara...no, it did not.

At least I don't have to store things above the bed and climb up and flip that overbed thing open to get what I need. Everything is within my reach...being on port intensives cruises, the size of the cabin, stateroom or whatever people call it, doesn't bother me. If we're in our room and have leisure time, we're on our balcony watching the rest of the world go by....and we love every minute of it.

And now, I'm really dying for some of the wonderful gelato. X doesn't even begin to compare and you don't have to pay X....tra for it. ;) :D

Small yes. Terrible? I don't think so. The storage is more than adequate (which is a plus--can't say the same about many other cruise line bathrooms). Call it "utilitarian." In the scheme of things that are important on an Azamara cruise, I'd rate it low. Real low. ;)

Agree totally. In fact, your term "utilitarian" is one I wish I had employed in a previous discussion.

But, if I may, I would take it one step further and call it "admirably" or "impressively" so, in the sense as to how such a small area can be so remarkably functional.

I guess I don't care that much, but I can't remember in detail any other cruise ship bathroom save that on the Quest and it's not in bad way.

Thanks so much for all your knowledge. I am very small but was concern for the hubby.
I'm 6'5" tall and weigh 200 pounds. My sleeve length is 38". I am in no way "small." I touch the shower curtain only when I open it or close it. I simply don't understand what all the fuss is about.

If that's such an issue for you, I guess I won't be encountering you on any R-ships.

It is not an issue for ME personally. You asked why someone made such "a fuss" about it so I responded. Some folks are very averse to contact with germs. As far as I am concerned, the entire ship is a haven for germs.