Do you have to give up your passport?

jongbj

Just a quick question I posted in the boards for several luxury cruise lines:

We just returned from a Regent cruise that (almost) forced us to surrender our passports for the duration of the cruise, which we found unacceptable.

I do not want to start a discussion on whether this should be acceptable or not, I have just the single question as we are looking for other luxury cruise lines, ones that will not make us surrender our passports:

Does Seabourn hold your passport for the duration of the cruise or do you keep it yourself?

Thanks

It all depends on what the itinerary is and what ports of call you'll be visiting.

I have just returned off the Sojourn after 65 days and all guests had to hand their passports in.

I don't understand why you should be concerned about this ?

The Pursers department will keep them in safe keeping and often have to hold onto passports for immigration and/or certain visa requirments.

Bell Boy :)

My concern is that one passport is the ultimate identification.

Also, according to my passport, it is illegal for me to give it to someone who does not have a statutory requiremen to keep it.

But it is good to know this, Thanks for your answer.

On all 3 cruises we have taken, one in Med, one in Caribbean and the third off South America, Seabourn kept our passports for the duration. I have a feeling they wouldn't be taking them if it were illegal for you to give them up. There are hotels all over the world that take your passport and don't return it the same day. What you are really worried about?

Well, according to my passport it would be illegal, so.....

It does surprise me how easily people give up their passports.

And I have also traveled all over the world and never had to give up my passport, not in hotels, not in planes, ships, whatever.

I can imagine it was common 40 years ago, before the credit card era, but thesedays, I cannot imagine why a hotel of ship should need to keep a passport.

Well, according to my passport it would be illegal, so.....

It does surprise me how easily people give up their passports.

And I have also traveled all over the world and never had to give up my passport, not in hotels, not in planes, ships, whatever.

I can imagine it was common 40 years ago, before the credit card era, but thesedays, I cannot imagine why a hotel of ship should need to keep a passport.

Because the immigration officers come on board and process all passengers arriving in the country. So much better than standing in an immigration queue at each port don't you think and perfectly legal as the ship is required to pass immigration.

Have a look at your passport and I'm sure you'll find there were immi stamps from some of the countries you visited.

I cannot seriously believe you have never had to give your passport to a hotel on arrival in order for them to verify your details and possibly pc. It happens in Russia, most of south America, lots of the ex eastern bloc.

Edited by MrsWaldo

We have sailed with Seabourn five times now and they have kept our passports every time for the reason Mrs Waldo gives, immigration procedures. It is no problem to get them back if you need them for anything such as car hire.

We always carry a photocopy of our passports in case we lose them.

Jongbj

I am quite comfortable allowing reputable International companies have my passport which is securely protected, I had a passport stolen from a car once, I had to go to the Consulate for a Travel Warrant, not a major problem compared to reducing my vacation choice globally. I accept fully that you do not want to give up your passport, it is your choice, it just means that you will be travelling to the relatively few places in the world where you can keep it.

Adding to the chorus here. PWe are currently on the Sojourn, disembarking tomorrow, and I'm just about to go to collect our passports from Seabourn Square, where they have been for the duration of the cruise. We've definitely handed them over on all Silversea cruises, and I'm going to say all SB cruises too, although I don't think we did hand them over on our Baltic cruise last summer. My husband says he believes that we did. :D

We just returned from a Regent cruise that (almost) forced us to surrender our passports for the duration of the cruise, which we found unacceptable.

I do not want to start a discussion on whether this should be acceptable or not, I have just the single question as we are looking for other luxury cruise lines, ones that will not make us surrender our passports:

Does Seabourn hold your passport for the duration of the cruise or do you keep it yourself?

Thanks

Let me be blunt - cruising isn't for you. Neither is international travel. Even hotels used to take your passport for a while.

Thanks

On every non-carribean/Mexican cruise (on a variety of lines incl SB) we have always has our passports collected on embarkation and return at the end of the cruise. Nothing exceptional or unacceptable about the practice

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Let me be blunt - cruising isn't for you. Neither is international travel. Even hotels used to take your passport for a while.

Wow, that is an unbelievable answer.

Perhaps I should be blunt: Internet forums isn't for you! You don't seem to be able to engage in normal conversation!

Besides you made my point by using the word 'used' as in the past, not anymore!

[sarcastic mode on]

And maybe I do not have enough travel experience, let me see:

- Gold on Hilton and Sheraton

- Silver on Marriott

- Platinum on Accor Hotels

- Gold on China Southern

- Gold on Hertz

- almost 200 nights on Holland America

I guess I don't go anywhere at all since at none of the hotels I ever needed to give up my passport.

[sarcastic mode off]

Edited by jongbj

On our last cruise (Silversea), the purser held our passports from Mauritius to South Africa. Once in S.A. they were returned to us as we were required to have them with us at all times on land. Quite frankly, I felt that my passport was in better hands on board and was a bit afraid of having them stolen at port.

We've been on two Seabourn cruises. Turkey/Greece we turned in the passport. Baltic cruise the passports were collected but returned with the necessary documentation when we arrived in St. Petersburg and needed them.

I don't understand the concern of giving up your passport. Hundreds of thousand of people have done it and no one has ever lost it.

I get that it has gone quite well for a long time.

On the other hand, one only needs a passport for identity theft,

or what about the two Iranians on MH370.

Fur us it was a very unpleasant surprise, also because it we weren't informed about it. Reading the reactions and the ease of which people give up their passports still worries me, but given the fact I cannot find anything on the internet on this system going wrong, it does seem to be a condition for luxury cruising. So if I want to do lluxury cruising, it seems I have to accept it. That said, does not mean I have to like it.

I get that it has gone quite well for a long time.

On the other hand, one only needs a passport for identity theft,

or what about the two Iranians on MH370.

And most passport theft actually occurs when the owner is pick pocketed/bag snatched etc while carrying their own passport. The passports on MH370 were the originals, not copies. It ismy understanding that those in the "black market" passport business will have a variety available in order to allow you to select a good match

Whilst it is easy to say keep your passport in the safe I still believe my passport will be safer with the square staff where it is accompanied at all times, rather than on my person or in my safe.

Edited by MrsWaldo

And most passport theft actually occurs when the owner is pick pocketed/bag snatched etc while carrying their own passport. .

True, I know, but when stolen from me, I have myself to blame. Were it to be stolen while in custody of the cruiseline, I would still be responsible.

If I'm responsible, I'd rather mess up myself.

The passports on MH370 were the originals, not copies. It ismy understanding that those in the "black market" passport business will have a variety available in order to allow you to select a good match

Whilst it is easy to say keep your passport in the safe I still believe my passport will be safer with the square staff where it is accompanied at all times, rather than on my person or in my safe.

I dobelieve you, however, when we were asked to give the passport to the cruiseline, they just said: 'they will be on the ship'. Not very reassuring, perhaps if they would have shown me there storage safe, I would have been satisfied. And I know they cannot show that to everyone, but in this case, I was the only one worried.

So if I want to do luxury cruising, it seems I have to accept it. That said, does not mean I have to like it.

jongbj,

I have read this post with interest, you have made a very good point about passports, it is strange that virtually all of us do give them up so easily myself included. I also think your final quote above does sum things up. From now on I will still give up my passport but I will be a bit more diligent about monitoring to whom and where rather carefully. I am however pleased that you have decided albeit reluctantly to accept the situation so you do not deny yourself some wonderful holidays is some places around the world.

Edited by rl787

jongbj,

I have read this post with interest, you have made a very good point about passports, it is strange that virtually all of us do give them up so easily myself included. I also think your final quote above does sum things up. From now on I will still give up my passport but I will be a bit more diligent about monitoring to whom and where rather carefully. I am however pleased that you have decided albeit reluctantly to accept the situation so you do not deny yourself some wonderful holidays is some places around the world.

So am I, We really enjoyed Regent and look forward to trying Seaborn and SilverSea. We know they are all different and similar in a lot of ways, which is part of the fun of trying them.

PS: not an invitation to start comparing cruise lines :)

Edited by jongbj

perhaps if they would have shown me there storage safe, I would have been satisfied. And I know they cannot show that to everyone, but in this case, I was the only one worried.

But how would you know if they had actually put your passport in the impressive safe ?:confused:

On our last Dec 2013/Jan 2014 18 day Holiday Cruise through the Panama Canal to Los Angeles, they scanned our passport at embarkation in Ft.Lauderdale and we had it in our own room safe the entire cruise. They did not take it.

Maybe its just me but the OP came across as a troll.

Yep posted the same question on other boards -- and started an argument with everyone. Same reply -- they take the passport. And no it is not illegal as they are acting in accordance with the immigration and port rules of the countries they visit.