Getting Passports stamped

rlrawalt

Hello, I know passports are not required to leave the ship but I was wondering if anyone know of the locations to get them stamped. We are going on a cruise in November to the Bahamas, St. Thomas, Grand Turk, and and Puerto Rico. Any info helps. Thanks!

1st, San Juan and St. Thomas ARE the US. Passports are not stamped in any of the Caribbean ports and should NOT be taken off the ship. Stealing passports is very lucrative - thieves can get big $$$ for a US passport. We have well over 100 cruises since 1985 and our passports never leave our safe. I don't know where you'd go to have them stamped. Anyone know where to go in the two ports to have them stamped????????????

Edited by Bonnie J.

Hello, I know passports are not required to leave the ship but I was wondering if anyone know of the locations to get them stamped. We are going on a cruise in November to the Bahamas, St. Thomas, Grand Turk, and and Puerto Rico. Any info helps. Thanks!

I see you are from Denver...when you get to Puerto Rico don't try to get it stamped. They will probably give you a strange look. :D

I got mine stamped at the post office in the port area of St. Thomas . :D

I see you are from Denver...when you get to Puerto Rico don't try to get it stamped. They will probably give you a strange look. :D

I realize they are part of the U.S. Doesn't mean there isn't a place to get a stamp. This is suppose to be a place to ask questions, not criticize. What does Denver have to do with it?

I realize they are part of the U.S. Doesn't mean there isn't a place to get a stamp. This is suppose to be a place to ask questions, not criticize. What does Denver have to do with it?

Geez...put your adult pants on and go buy yourself a sense of humor. Did you see the toothy grin? It was a joke. I mentioned Denver because you apparently are in the United States.

SPAASBIIATLTKT

I've been to several of the islands in the Bahamas chain over 20 times by air and sea and honestly don't think I have ever had my passport stamped. I haven't been to Grand Turk yet so can't help there.

Have a great cruise anyway!!!!!

This thread makes me smile. Keep in mind that if you are in Puerto Rico or St Thomas you are still in part of the US. Many years ago we traveled into China from Hong Kong and the Chinese Border Police refused to stamp,our Passport. It took a $10 bribe to get him to use his stamp. In Europe it is even more difficult as there are no borders between most EU countries and you cannot even find an official with a stamp.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

. . . Many years ago we traveled into China from Hong Kong and the Chinese Border Police refused to stamp,our Passport. It took a $10 bribe to get him to use his stamp . . .

A "passport stamp" is also known as a visa. Visas are issued by governments to enter/exit a country. If you want to get visas as souvineers, you might try the customs office in foreign ports. Be advised, there is often a fee (not a bribe)for this . . .

I agree with the other posters concerning taking your passport ashore. If it's not necessary, I wouldn't do it.

If you want something to prove to the folks back home that you were in these countries . . . purchase the debarkation photos that the ships photographers will be taking in each port-of-call. You can also get all sorts of port/country specific stuff/souvineers ashore.

Edited by Calgon1

A "passport stamp" is also known as a visa. Visas are issued by governments to enter/exit a country. If you want to get visas as souvineers, you might try the customs office in foreign ports. Be advised, there is often a fee (not a bribe)for this . . .

I agree with the other posters concerning taking your passport ashore. If it's not necessary, I wouldn't do it.

If you want something to prove to the folks back home that you were in these countries . . . purchase the debarkation photos that the ships photographers will be taking in each port-of-call. You can also get all sorts of port/country specific stuff/souvineers ashore.

Sorry, but a stamp in a passport is not necessary a visa. They just indicate place and time of entry or departure.

Thanks Donray. You're spot-on.

A visa (from the Latin charta visa, lit. "paper that has been seen"), is a conditional authorization given by a competent authority of a country for a person who is not a citizen of that country to enter its territory and to remain there for a limited duration. Each country typically attaches various conditions to their visas, such as duration of stay, the territory covered by the visa, dates of validity, whether the visa is valid for more than one visit, etc. Visas are associated with the request for permission to enter a country, and are thus, for some countries, distinct from actual formal permission for an alien to enter and remain in the country. In any event, a visa is subject to permission of an immigration official at the time of actual entry, and can be revoked at any time.

The visa is commonly a stamp endorsed in the applicant's passport or other travel document. The visa, when required, was historically granted by an immigration official on a visitor's arrival at the frontiers of a country, but increasingly today a traveler wishing to enter another country must apply in advance for a visa, sometimes in person at a consular office, by mail or over the internet. The actual visa may still be an endorsement in the passport or may take the form of a document or an electronic record of the authorization, which the applicant can print before leaving home and produce on entry to the host country. Some countries do not require visas for short visits.

Some countries require that their citizens, as well as foreign travelers, obtain an "exit visa" to be allowed to leave the country.

Edited by Calgon1
'cause I'm a bad speller . . .

Why would you want your passport stamped when you enter St. Thomas or Puerto Rico? That is the equivalent of having it stamped when you enter New York from New Jersey or Oregon from California.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

And what do you think a VISA is? They are VISA sta

mps.

I give up!

Why do visitors entering a country, to which they do not need a visa, get a stamp? This is a socalled entry stamp and not a visa.

calgons post actually confirms my point.

Edited by The Viking

Thank you for the only useful info! I will check out the post offices.

And the next time you are in Chicago you could get a Chicago postmark to go along with your St. Thomas one.

I believe you might want to read the final paragraph under "IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR PASSPORT" before you might subject yourself

to prosecution under "Title 18, US Code, Section 1543".

I doubt you are at risk, but the St. Thomas post office??? C'mon!