First timer with a few questions

Simarimas

Hello all!

First off, let me say how helpful the site and the boards here are. I have just over the past week been looking into cruises and when I found this place, I was pleasantly surprised at all the helpful info, and what appear to be helpful people. OK, enough butt kissing, onto the questions. :)

My wife and I are looking at taking our first cruise ever (well hers anyway, I am ex-Navy, but never have done a passenger cruise). We are looking at the Caribbean for a 7 day cruise in the fall (Sep-Nov). I am 50, with bad hips, and she is not a swimmer, terrified of the water actually, but would be fine wading. We want to sightsee etc on shore, but with my bad hips and her phobia, I am wondering what would be the best activities we should look into?

Also, we will be leaving from Galveston or Houston, so are looking into either Carnival, or Royal Caribbean. I have read good and bad for both, so probably ports will play a bigger role in our decision rather than Cruiseline, as well as cost. We are on a budget, so luxury cruises are out. What suggestions on ports do you have? Any that are a must see? I have been to most of the islands while in the Navy, but that was over 20 yrs ago, so I am sure things have changed. Mostly looking for sights to see etc. My wife has never left the country.

That is it for now, but I am sure I will have more.

Thanks in advance!

Sim

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

In each port, you will find excursions both thru the ship and private that will take you to the sights and not have a lot of walking. The cruise line ones are usually coded to indicate how much physical activity is involved in each. You certainly won't be the only one with mobility problems.

Depending on whether you select a western or eastern Caribbean itinerary, some b of my favorite ports were St Thomas, Grand Turk, and Roatan. Even though your wife isn't a swimmer you can spend a few hours at a beach front bar, enjoying the view and the people watching. Many of the beaches in the Caribbean have gentle waves and shallow entry so you can wade or walk along the shore without fear. I would highly recommend Magen Bay in St Thomas.

Thanks for the Welcome!

That is good to know Paul, I am good for about 1/4 mile, then need 2or3 minutes to sit, then another 1/4 mile etc.

Knbcruisers, I loved St thomas and St Maarten most during my time in the Navy. Gorgeous water and beaches, I agree with you completely. Thanks for the thoughts!!

St Thomas has shuttles from either port to town...think it was $4 a person each way.

lots of jewellery stores...but still interesting to just explore

plenty of cruise deals out there..if you are close to the port and planning to drive you can book late and get good prices..but you may miss out on the ship you want...we have to fly so this is never an option for us but I would go for that kind of thing...pick a window of time and then look for a deal close to departure

best deals are out of Florida as so many ships there

good luck

If you are really set on sailing from Houston or Galveston, there is not really much choice in the ports visited. Since this is your first 'real' cruise, just pick by price - get the most bang for your buck. St. Thomas and St. Maarten aren't available on a 7 day from Texas.

Go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and choose Houston and/or Galveston as departure port from the top list. then you choose when you want to cruise, and it will show you the ships and their itineraries. If you wait until Nov., you can add Princess and NCL into your choices. EM

Houston/Galveston are a must, we live in Texas, and will be able to drive to the port. And being our first cruise, I want to make sure the wife enjoys it, before we spend the money to fly to Florida to take another cruise.

I am actually fine with going wherever, so the ports of choice won't be as big an issue, as long as we have the ability to sight see around the port.

That would have been my next question. With us going during the 'off' season, is it better to book early, or to wait? We will both have to put in for vacation from work, so a month in advance we would need to know the dates. Is that close enough to book a cruise and get a good price? Or would be better booking early instead?

Thanks again for all the great responses.

Being in the Navy is NOT cruising...although we thank you for doing that!!!!

This is a whole different experience!

Get a guidebook on your ports, so you'll know ALL that is available! That's the best way to get the most from you time ashore! After you figure out WHAT you want to do, then we can help with HOW to do it!!!!

I did see in one of the ports, they have a glass bottom boat, which I think would be perfect for my wife. I don't remember which port, but I will find it. I would also like to visit some Mayan ruins if possible.

CB, you are correct about the Navy not being cruising, hahaha. Though I did love being at sea, I have never found anything quite as relaxing, or amazingly beautiful, as sunrise and sunset at sea.

I will look into guidebooks, and see what there is available. Most of what I did in port in the Navy was drink! haha.

I am looking at RCI, Lulu, I was just reading reviews of Navigator of the Seas. From my understanding of the things I have read about both RCI and Carnival, it seems in general Carnival is more of a younger crowd atmosphere. Is this correct?

Also, knowing my wife, who hates spending money, she will want to spend very little on extras, such as dining on board, so we will probably not dine in the specialty restaurants much, if at all. So which line has the better food in the dining room?

No thanks needed for my time in the Navy. I loved it, and got paid for it!! But thank you anyway for the gratitude.

Since you don't need to book air you have some flexibility. There are lots of good deals once the 90 day final payment date has passed. So if you are flexible on departure date and type of cabin you can start searching within that time frame. There is a online travel agent that specializes in less than 90 day out dates, just do a a search. If Texas departures mean a western Caribbean itinerary try to get to Roatan. It is very peaceful and beautiful. Rent a car and driver for the day, so you will have local guide in an air condition car who can take you all over the island at a very fair price. Check the port board for names of the tour companies. DH and I still talk about our great day there!

Also if you want Mayan ruins consider a Belize stop and go to Lamanai. It is a beautiful river trip with a walk through a Mayan excavtion. It is an easy pace so you should be OK with your mobility issues. But book through the ship as it is a long day. You need the guaranty the ship provides.

I just checked the online travel agent we normally use...rules of cruise critic prevent me from telling you the name

shows Carnival Freedom and Carnival Magic and Navigator of the Seas all go from Galveston in your time frame. Mike did a great review with pics of the Magic. I will find his thread and post later. It has been revamped recently and is a large ship. for me bigger the better as more stuff to do and less rocking (not a problem for you but for a prairie boy a big deal)

also big ship makes the ship more of an attraction rather than the ports.

prices are from around $420 inside to $750 balcony cabin. shop around..and apparently travel agents in the US specializing in cruises are way better than Canadian ones who tend to quote brochure prices.

User name for Mike (RCMP officer) is MikeyA53

He and his wife Tracy do great reviews with lots of pictures. I pulled a Brian Williams and misrembered. He did a review of the Breeze not the Magic...but in searching found he did one of the Freedom.

Freedom

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1281134

Thanks for the port recommendations! Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I know I can get a cruise going to both Belize and Roatan.

Wow Captain Canuck! For you to go through the trouble of checking for cruises for me is incredibly nice. Thank you!!

I will check out the thread you posted also.

I would assume that Magic and Breeze, being sister ships, are very similar, if it is anything like the Navy.

Would it make more sense for me to book through a TA, than doing so myself? Are there perks to be had through a TA? I think I was reading that they cannot offer discount prices, but do they provide other perks?

Thanks so much again. You have no idea how much the information and help is appreciated.

I am retired with time on my hands...and no cruise for me in the near horizon

was looking at cruises out of Texas for us but too late in the year as we wanted to drive down and be there for the bluebonnets...not going to work this year but maybe next

we used to get cruise travel a magazine for cruising....you might want to check it out for ideas too

happy cruising

I will look into Princess as well, thanks!

From looking at the picture review from the thread Captain Canuck posted by mikey, I am really enticed by the Carnival Freedom! And have been looking at ports. I definitely want to go for the Mayan ruins, river trip. That looks right up our alley. And I definitely will get it through the ship, as the reviews I read said it was always a close call getting back on time, and the guarantee that they wait is a must I think.

I am going to look at the other ports and then make a decision from that point I think. I am betting with this being our first cruise, that the choice of ship may not be quite as important, as we have nothing to compare it to, so will probably love any of them.

Captain Canuck, you should definitely try to make it to Texas, but in order to catch the bluebonnets you usually have a 2 -3 week window when they are in bloom. Parts of the state are amazing when they are out!

Thanks again everyone. Any other ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated, and I will definitely have more questions in our search!

Haven't been on Carnival ship in many years, but we LOVE Navigator of the Seas. It's a beautiful ship with plenty to do on board and we've never seen a need to go to the Specialty dining. We've had our share of disabilities while cruising. Go to the ports of call and look at the ports that the cruises will be stopping at. You can see the various types of excursions. We loved the glass bottom boat. We've also enjoyed tours of rum factories, one that takes you around the island, ruins, shopping. You'll have a great time whatever your choice. Enjoy.

. I definitely want to go for the Mayan ruins, river trip. That looks right up our alley. And I definitely will get it through the ship, as the reviews I read said it was always a close call getting back on time, and the guarantee that they wait is a must I think.

We did this through our ship and I concur with he people who say to do it that way. The Lamanai ruins were amazing!

In the morning, Belize officials were late, so we got off the ship an hour late. The tender ride on the crowded boat was nice and long. Our bus was ok but not fancy. It took us through town, lots of garbage along the side of the road out into the countryside. It was a long bus ride that ended at a riverside open air restaurant with simple but nicely cooked food, buffet style.

We then boarded a small river boat. The guide pointed out wildlife, mainly birds. The ruins are in a wooded area right of the river, nicely shaded. Howler monkeys sat high in the trees howling at us. What an experience!

In the first section of the ruins, I do not remember seeing benches. There could have been seating on the rocks on the side. One gentleman brought one of those walking sticks that fold out into a small cloth seat. The walk through the ruins was on slightly uneven terrain, on grass, but not difficult, not long and no climbing - unless you want to scale the highest pyramid.

Hello all!

First off, let me say how helpful the site and the boards here are. I have just over the past week been looking into cruises and when I found this place, I was pleasantly surprised at all the helpful info, and what appear to be helpful people. OK, enough butt kissing, onto the questions. :)

My wife and I are looking at taking our first cruise ever (well hers anyway, I am ex-Navy, but never have done a passenger cruise). We are looking at the Caribbean for a 7 day cruise in the fall (Sep-Nov). I am 50, with bad hips, and she is not a swimmer, terrified of the water actually, but would be fine wading. We want to sightsee etc on shore, but with my bad hips and her phobia, I am wondering what would be the best activities we should look into?

Also, we will be leaving from Galveston or Houston, so are looking into either Carnival, or Royal Caribbean. I have read good and bad for both, so probably ports will play a bigger role in our decision rather than Cruiseline, as well as cost. We are on a budget, so luxury cruises are out. What suggestions on ports do you have? Any that are a must see? I have been to most of the islands while in the Navy, but that was over 20 yrs ago, so I am sure things have changed. Mostly looking for sights to see etc. My wife has never left the country.

That is it for now, but I am sure I will have more.

Thanks in advance!

Sim

Sim

I would book with the Cruise Line the excursions and they are coded as to walking or hills etc, so you have a good idea of the physical nature of the excursion. Also if trouble happens breakdowns etc. the cruise line gets you to the next port of call unlike private tours.

Welcome to CC and enjoy your passenger Cruise.

Don

Edited by Folk Singer

Thanks, Don, Lulu, and Floridiana. I had been looking at the reviews of the Excursions, and definitely decided we would book that one through the liner, just for the facts you all stated. Making sure we don't miss the boat!!! I read that they are pretty long, and most people caught the last boat to the ship.

Thanks for the info everyone. Very informative, and great recommendations!

griffy, I am looking into the Navigator as well.

I have to say, it is a difficult decision to make, which Cruise Line, where to go, etc. But I am loving the adventure of making the decision, it is fun in itself.

Sim

I would book with the Cruise Line the excursions and they are coded as to walking or hills etc, so you have a good idea of the physical nature of the excursion.

Don

Unfortunately, some of the coding is off. The extremely easy walk to the Chacchoben ruins in Costa Maya was coded as difficult on our ship, probably because the few steps up to the platform were uneven. The platform was not high and there was no view. It was not necessary to go up to enjoy the ruins. The most difficult part was standing in the sun and listening to our rather boring guide. :rolleyes: (And I really like Mayan ruins!)