Early flight from Singapore

jc719

We have a 7:00AM departure from SIN terminal 3 (UA). We overnight on-board at Marina Bay Cruise Center so plan to walk off early (hand carry luggage) and take a taxi to the airport. We have premium cabin check-in @ SIN so we won't be in a huge economy line at the airport, for what that's worth. It's also a Sunday morning so I don't think there should be much traffic.

A couple questions:

Google says the drive time from MBCC to SIN is 24 minutes. Sound right?

What's the walking time from the ship to the taxi curb?

I think we'll have our initial encounter with SIN immigration the day before. Should I expect any delay when we are disembarking with luggage?

Latest check in at Changi is 90 mnutes for International flights. 30 - 45 minutes by taxi cruise terminal to changi Airport would be more realistic under normal traffic conditions, Taxis are cheap in Singapore and excellent . So suggest be off boat at latest 2 1/2 - 3 hours before your flight departs.

You will all go through Immigration when boat arrives in Singapore. So when you go to Airport the only Immigration will be the outgoing desk, then security screening etc .

Agree that - even on Sunday morning - 30 to 40 minutes driving timne from cruise terminal to SIN airport is more realistic. Taxi drivers do strictly stick to the speed limits and will not "step on it" if you are late.

Also, are you sure that imigration will be staffed so early in the morning (and on a weekend) if you cannot be cleared the day before?

• 1 month later...
Latest check in at Changi is 90 mnutes for International flights. 30 - 45 minutes by taxi cruise terminal to changi Airport would be more realistic under normal traffic conditions, Taxis are cheap in Singapore and excellent . So suggest be off boat at latest 2 1/2 - 3 hours before your flight departs.

You will all go through Immigration when boat arrives in Singapore. So when you go to Airport the only Immigration will be the outgoing desk, then security screening etc .

We were wondering the same so I'm pleased to find this post.

So for a 7.00AM flight we would need to be leaving the ship at 4.00-4.30AM.

Would there be any problems finding a taxi at the cruise terminal at that time of the morning?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar issue, about a week ago, disembarking Celebrity Millenium early morning because of a early flight from SIN to Shanghai.

I found this great little private transfer service that I used in both Hong Kong on my arrival at airport for transfer to ship and Singapore for transfer to airport. www.blacklane.com. Our issue was 3 women, and 9 pieces of luggage so we needed a private van.:eek:

You create an online account, request a quote for the vehichle type you want and if agreeable, pay wth a credit card and they send a confirmation. I ordered the van while I was sitting at the airport club in Shanghai for arrival in Hong Kong and when I landed and turned on my phone, I had a text that my driver was waiting. The service was flawless for both cities and considerably cheaper than quotes I had gotten independantly from transfer services such as Hong Kong Shuttle. For example, a 9 pax van from Marina Bay terminal to Sing airport was only $41 US. I thought that was a steal. At that early morning (4am) at Marina terminal there will be very few taxis. Even at 6am there were very few. I highly recommend you arrange to have one waiting and don't do it through the ship. For giggles I asked what they woudl charge for the same size van that Blacklane quoted $41 to me for and they respnded with $160:rolleyes:

One last think about Blacklane, they offer their services in many cities. Check out their website. It's a servce that I was thrilled to find and I will continue to use throughout my travels:D

Happy sailing!!!!

• 6 months later...

Our cruise is scheduled to dock in Singapore at 5 a.m. Would I be taking a huge risk of missing a 12:30 noon departure from the airport? I don't have any idea how long it takes for the ship (Princess Sapphire) to be cleared and passengers to disembark, clear any formalities, and get a taxi to the airport.

Suggest you check out the port transfer deals at Viator. They offer a 24/7 private transfer for a small cost and get great reviews.

We disembarked, at a 'normal' time, a couple of months ago from the new MBCC, on a Sunday. We had not prebooked transfers, and the wait for taxis was unbelievable, with a single taxi arriving approx every 15 mins. Imagine that with a very long line of people! We were in line for way over an hour. The process through customs was quick and easy. Our taxi driver informed us that most taxis do not come into this terminal, as it is a distance from the main road, and they are charged an entry fee. I hope they have sorted out this mess since we were there in April.

• 4 weeks later...

OK - we definitely won't take a taxi. But if I arrange for a private transfer, how do I know how long it will be for us to disembark and be ready to meet the driver? When booking a reservation, you have to give a specific time that they will pick you up.

According to the tour guide for Singapore that I have, there are all kinds of taxi surcharges for a variety of hours and reasons. There recommendation is to pay what is on the meter and ask for a receipt. (Not sure how that would prevent one from being overcharged, however.)

There always seemed to be taxis around where the ships are docked particularly when they know that passengers are disembarking. It will be a quick trip on a Sunday morning, but do allow yourself enough time to get your tickets, and clear security. It is a pretty airport to walk around, so there is plenty to see.

There always seemed to be taxis around where the ships are docked particularly when they know that passengers are disembarking. It will be a quick trip on a Sunday morning, but do allow yourself enough time to get your tickets, and clear security. It is a pretty airport to walk around, so there is plenty to see.

Did this trip recently on a weekend - 20 minute ride to the airport, fare was $20 and no traffic to speak off. Check in then took about five minutes.

Do not fret about this trip it will be a breeze.

Lots of taxis on the road at midnight and they are more than happy to have customers - they can make a bit more because of midnight surcharge. However I am not sure if any will be waiting at MBCC at wee hours - they usually wait outside pubs where the potential customers are most likely to be found. You may have to wait a long time before one comes by so it will be safer to book a taxi or limo or other forms of airport transfer services in advance. Also when it rains there will be less taxis on the road.

If you have local cell phone or data coverage you can call for one or book one online or use their smart phone app etc. There is a $2-3 surcharge for on the spot booking/calling and $8 surcharge for advanced booking.

https://www.cdgtaxi.com.sg/commuters_services_booking.mvn?cid=139283

https://www.cdgtaxi.com.sg/commuters_services_rates.mvn?cid=296467

(This is the website for ComfortDelgro, the biggest taxi company in Singapore but the charges for other taxi companies are similar.)

For fare and time estimation, I use: http://gothere.sg/maps

Enter your date and time and then click on the third of the 4 options (bus, MRT/bus, taxi, own car/driving) the site will give you an estimation of journey time taking into consideration the traffic conditions and estimated fares taking into account surcharges. I find that generally the cost estimation is pretty accurate (+/-10%), and for time I add 25% time based on the estimation to be safe.

E.g. I used a mock timing of 3:30 am from MBCC to airport and the site gives me a result of 22 minute journey time (add 25% to be safe so allow 30 minutes) and the cost will be around $25.95 fare including midnight surcharge.

http://gothere.sg/maps#q:marina%20cruise%20centre%20to%20changi%20airport%20at%203%3A30am%20on%2007%2F09%2F2014

I have no experience with limo or private transfer services, depending on how many in your party that might be a more cost effective option than taxi.

Edited by tinywingz