Affordable hotels in center of Paris?? Itinerary??

snookie1

Husband and I are sailing on the Viking Buri, from Chalon to Avignon, on Nov 15th. We plan to spend 6 days in Paris on our own prior to the cruise. We have been looking for an affordable hotel in central Paris: maybe the Latin Quarter, or Marais; somewhere where we can walk to some of the attractions (like the Louvre, Notre Dame, etc). We found a couple on trip advisor that sound attractive (Hotel des Grandes Ecoles, La Villa Saint-Germain, Hotel Jeanne de Arc Marais, Hotel Bonaparte, to name a couple). Has anyone had any experience with these, or can you recommend one of your favorites?? And does anyone have any advice on an itinerary -- places not to miss , or that are not that interesting? We are interested in seeing art (though we are far from connesieurs), churches, good food and wine. We don't have mobility issues, but our stamina is not what it once was. Any advice would be appreciated

Your trip sounds terrific. I believe there are inexpensive hotels in the Latin Quarter but central Paris is very expensive. If you have any hotel points Paris is a great place to use them. We've stayed at Marriott Champs Elysses a couple times on points and we sent son and DIL there for a week at a Marriott. We got great service from the hotel concierge, we had planned our days but always stopped at the desk to verify train routes, etc. another option is to rent an apartment, VRBO.

I suggest buying the Paris pass for free admits to museums, churches. Buy it at the airport when you leave baggage. You also bypass the ticket lines on site. We took quick looks at lots of museums this way. Buy some carpets of metro tickets and familiarize yourself with the routes. The Paris Metro was incredible and easy to understand.

I also recommend taking some walking tours, many companies offer them. We did several with Classic Walks, all inexpensive and they had great guides.

Edited by sammiedawg

Buy some carpets of metro tickets and familiarize yourself with the routes. The Paris Metro was incredible and easy to understand.

Spell check strikes again! "Carnets" of metro tickets.

I recommend the Rick Steves Paris book, which has many walking tours of neighborhoods and also self-guided tours of most museums. He also lists hotels in several of the neighborhoods OP mentioned.

We are recently back from our 5th stay in Paris and rented an apartment this time as we were traveling with friends. It worked out very well for us.

Other friends stayed nearby at Hotel Bosquet in the 7th. Lovely small hotel that priced well.

All of my previous stays have been using points.

we spend the month of April every year in Paris (after a 7 day river cruise somewhere in Europe!)

I would also recommend the hotel Bosquet in the 7th A. its great….

its a short walk to Seine and eiffel tower, quick metro ride to everything you want to see in this incredible city…

if you haven't checked it lately, i find the trip advisor "paris forum" very helpful in our planning….i browse it weekly...

we always buy the month long unlimited metro and bus pass…the do have a week long metro pass if it fits your particular days it is a good bargain…

Have a great trip!

We have been looking for an affordable hotel in central Paris: maybe the Latin Quarter, or Marais; somewhere where we can walk to some of the attractions (like the Louvre, Notre Dame, etc).

What do you consider affordable?

My don't miss would include:

Top of Eiffel tower

Louver

Orsay museum

Opera house

Buy the museum pass.

We stayed at the Westin Paris - Vendome and it is an excellent location.

Edited by Donray

Second the suggestion for an apartment, we stayed in the 14th arrondissement right across the road from Parc Montsouris. It was a short(5min) walk to Glaciere metro and about the same to Cite Universitaire RER. Loved staying in a local area and didn't make any difference to not being right in the heart of Paris, used waytostay to find. Stayed at First Hotel Paris Eiffel Tower for one night before catching the Eurostar, right opposite Cambronne metro. Looked at Hotel Tourisme for our next trip but hubby wants to stay near the Notre Dame so have booked Hotel Le Clos Notre Dame for our 1 night stay before joining our river cruise in September.

Thanks to all of you who sent advice. I will research those hotels you mentioned. Also appreciate the advice to get the metro passes and museum passes. Sounds like a good plan to me. We had considered getting an apartment, but we are new to this "do it on your own" thing, and I think we will be more comfortable somewhere where there is someone we can go to with problems or questions. Any more ideas are welcome!

http://www.batobus.com/

Hop on hop off seine river " cruise" boat like museumboot in Amsterdam.

Has 8 stops along the seine with far west stop at eiffel tower, d'Orsay, louvre, city hall, Notre dame and one more to the east.

Cost 15 € for one day pass or 18€ for two day.

Enjoy the attractions, then Save you feet , and enjoy the view and a bit of commentary.

Wow, I like the idea of the hop-on, hop-off batobus. Is there any problem getting back on if you get off at one of the stops (I know in some places you have to wait for several busses (or boats, in this case) because they are full. How about a land-version? Can anyone give advice on that -- is it a good idea? Maybe on the first day to give us a "lay of the land"?

Wow, I like the idea of the hop-on, hop-off batobus. Is there any problem getting back on if you get off at one of the stops (I know in some places you have to wait for several busses (or boats, in this case) because they are full. How about a land-version? Can anyone give advice on that -- is it a good idea? Maybe on the first day to give us a "lay of the land"?

No problemo at all getting on again...excellent idea for day 1 lay of the land.

You buy your ticket at a booth on the "sidewalk" right at rivers edge at any one of the eight stops...see webpage for their locations. Walk down, buy your tx and the boats come by maybe every 10 mins or so.

Great for a way to see the views as the mjor attractions are all within spittin distance of the seine. We started at st germain des pres area, went over to Notre dame and then after that down all the way to eiffel tower..walked over the bridge to Les Trocaderos, climbed the steps and from there is where you get THE picture perfect view of the tower ( vs going UP the tower). Do a selfie or get someone to snap your pic with the entire tower in the background.

Have lunch, get back on boat then get off at museum d'orsay, see that, get back on, etc etc

Remember the Louvre is closed on TUESDAYS and museum D'Orsay is closed on MONDAYS so plan your trip accordingly if those are on your list as museum passes are good for CONSECUTIVE days not just any two days.

We got the two day batobus pass for an extra 3 € and just used to get a ride back after wandering the louvre and right bank cuz we were tired.

Yes there is also the red hop on hop off bus option too but i think more money..maybe 29 €??? Depends what you want to see and where you want to go.

Edited by remydiva

I recommend

Hotel TRYP Francois at

3 Boulevard Montmartre

75002‎ Paris

France

The Grand metro station is literally right in front of the hotel. Centrally located where you can walk practically anywhere. The street is loaded with restaurants of all types and a lovely bakery right across the street for your morning croissant. Starbucks is a few doors down if you want American coffee. Cross the street and a few steps down you will find a market where you can I expensively purchase water, sodas, fresh fruit and practicly anything you may need. Two Passages for wonderful shopping and more quaint restaurants are in the same block and across from each other. Don't miss them! They are part of Paris' hidden jewels.

Check out their website. I stay here practicly every trip to Paris. It could use some updates by American standards, but I think that it adds to the charm. There is a bar and restaurant below the hotel that goes on all night so ask for a room on a higher floor. If noise does not bother you, then ask for a room up front with a balcony. Lovely views of Parisian rooftops!

Do you enjoy art and lovely gardens? If so, do not miss a visit to Monet's home in Giverny! Easy train then bus that lets you off a couple of blocks from the gate. Just fabulous seeing his paintings of his gardens, his Japanese Lilly pond and green bridge in real life!

Is this your first visit to Paris? First river cruise? You are welcome to message me if you have questions. My email is val110358@aol.com

Valerie

Cemetery Pere Lachaise where many famous people are buried

There's an interesting book in which Père Lachaise Cemetery features: "The Counterfeit Heiress" by Tasha Alexander. It's a mystery of the "cozy" variety, but it gives a good feel for the cemetery, which is the setting for the denouement.

viator has a good hop on hop off bus. We have been to Paris three times and only did the bus on our last trip. Not only a good orientation for a newbie but great inexpensive transportation to a lot of different sites. (Also love the Metro). If you are a foodie go to Place de la Madeleine; the square with the church is surrounded by gourmet food shops. We stayed at the Marriott Rive Gauche last time. A few blocks walk from Notre Dame, a couple blocks from the Metro and in a lovely neighborhood.

Enjoy Paris.

Jay

"Affordable hotels in Paris". Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

😂😂

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've used Priceline twice with very reasonable results and 4 star hotels.

Also found good rates available when booking well in advance.

Hotel Bosquet was 128 E per night when we booked and over 300E per night about 60 days prior.

Timing is everything :)

May I piggyback on this thread? I too am looking for a nice, not luxurious, hotel in Paris at a decent price, for this October. Probably 4-5 nights. I'd prefer the 5th or 6th arr., or perhaps 14th. Doesn't have to be 5-star, in fact we prefer smaller, quaint hotels in nice neighbourhoods with lots of bistros and shops. Any personal rec's beyond those already given?

We have stayed at the

Hotel Duminy Vendome Phone: (33-01) 4260 3280

3-5 Rue du Mont Thabor, 75001 Paris

France

It is not cheap but its all location, location, have recommended this to atleast 6 friends, they have all used it and all reported back that although more than they would usually pay they all considered it well worth the extra.

Metro only 200m, Tulleries Garden 200m, Louvre, Concord less than 5 mins walk, Notre Dam etc less than 10mins walk

We have used it atleast 4 times, each time we have tried else where we have been disapointed

May I piggyback on this thread? I too am looking for a nice, not luxurious, hotel in Paris at a decent price, for this October. Probably 4-5 nights. I'd prefer the 5th or 6th arr., or perhaps 14th. Doesn't have to be 5-star, in fact we prefer smaller, quaint hotels in nice neighbourhoods with lots of bistros and shops. Any personal rec's beyond those already given?

Please check out the Hotel Verneuil. We always use small boutique hotels. I checked Tripadvisor and it still gets very high reviews. The location is wonderful.

I recommend

Hotel TRYP Francois at

3 Boulevard Montmartre

75002‎ Paris

France

The Grand metro station is literally right in front of the hotel. Centrally located where you can walk practically anywhere. The street is loaded with restaurants of all types and a lovely bakery right across the street for your morning croissant. Starbucks is a few doors down if you want American coffee. Cross the street and a few steps down you will find a market where you can I expensively purchase water, sodas, fresh fruit and practicly anything you may need. Two Passages for wonderful shopping and more quaint restaurants are in the same block and across from each other. Don't miss them! They are part of Paris' hidden jewels.

Check out their website. I stay here practicly every trip to Paris. It could use some updates by American standards, but I think that it adds to the charm. There is a bar and restaurant below the hotel that goes on all night so ask for a room on a higher floor. If noise does not bother you, then ask for a room up front with a balcony. Lovely views of Parisian rooftops!

Do you enjoy art and lovely gardens? If so, do not miss a visit to Monet's home in Giverny! Easy train then bus that lets you off a couple of blocks from the gate. Just fabulous seeing his paintings of his gardens, his Japanese Lilly pond and green bridge in real life!

Is this your first visit to Paris? First river cruise? You are welcome to message me if you have questions. My email is val110358@aol.com

Valerie

Thank you for your suggestion. I've looked up the TRYP on trip advisor and it certainly looks like it has potential. I just wonder if it is even smaller than most. Did you have room for all your suitcases? It is on my list of possibilities. Thanks so much for replying!

So I have just checked out the last few hotels mentioned. I kind of like the Hotel Bosquet (found out it is the Relais Bosquet) so far. The Royal Alma is a little pricey for us. The Duminy Vendome looks good, but they allow pets and my husband is very allergic to animal dander, so that probably would not be a good fit for us. The Hotel St Merry used to be a convent, I read, and pictures of the rooms show a really different, gothic décor. I thank everyone who has made suggestions. Your help is invaluable and greatly appreciated. I'm also checking out a couple from Rick Steves and other guides: We like the sound of the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles, but you cannot make reservations there until 4 months before; I am afraid if we can't get them there then, it will be too late somewhere else. I also like Hotel Diana in the Latin Quarter, but they don't ask for a credit card to reserve your room -- you e-mail them 1 week before coming to confirm (what if your reservation was lost or something -- then you are looking for a room at the last minute!). So there are so many options. Any more ideas ?? I am still open to suggestions!! And thanks again, everyone for your help!

I have held off because my experience is obsolete [the Hôtel du Quatrième Arrondissement which no longer exists and you wouldn't want to use if you don't speak some French and you aren't a poor student -- ok, can't get that to sound like I meant, although I was a poor student of French ;)]. But, after quite a bit of research we decided that for our upcoming trip we really wanted to try something exotic: Ile Saint-Louis [the small residential island behind Notre-Dame]. There are only a few hotels on this island and all are apparently super-quaint. We chose Hôtel de Lutèce. But I don't think it qualifies as "affordable" at 225-250 Euro per night. [i sure hope it is the good kind of "quaint" ;)]