Has anyone flown into/out of Orlando for cruise out of Tampa?

erby2283

Southwest opened up flights this morning and at 8 am, some flights were already sold out! This only leaves me with expensive flights on SW or flights at times that I am unable to take. For example: To fly out of Tampa on the 24th, my only options are 2 flights leave before 9:30 am and since I know flights before 11:30 are pushing it, that's kind of a definite no-go! Or, stay a day in Tampa and fly out the next morning but even those flights are over $300 one-way!

Has anyone ever flown into or out of Orlando pre/post cruise? Did you use a rental car or a shuttle service? Would you recommend it?

Thanks to all who reply!

Might try Orlando, Ft Meyers, Ft Lauderdale, Miami even or try JAX jacksonville and then second small hop --JaX can also drive but south Florida has lots of rental car fees and lots of toll booths. My daughter lives in FLL country and so I go there 2-5 times every year. I always wait it out and usually can get something for $90 one way range. Any of the airports I mentioned and some others are within a few hours drive of Tampa.

the Florida market is really really strange because of the cruise ships and their monster groups of passengers. My observation is to avoid Friday PM, Sat , Sunday Midday on, and Monday AM. Thousands of passengers off Monster of the Seas drive the price of everything through the roof. Tuesday, Weds, and Thursday have wonderful fares for flights since the ships (unless a huge ship that is not on the 7 day schedule) are not creating demand. I often go to Miami and then hop over to Tampa or Jacksonville and a hop. Can be considerably cheaper. Also be patient and wait for Ding because then others match (but watch bag fees which drive it up again in price). Consider Jet Blue if you can -- my favorite and often cheaper than SWA now with one free bag. Do not try Spirit airlines. By the time they add all the fees you are higher than a REAL airline.

Hope this helps. I used to live in Florida. Parents and in-laws were all in Florida (Tampa, Vero Beach, Tallahassee) so been going for 50 years so way too much experience. :rolleyes:

I have flown into Orlando for Tampa and Tampa for Orlando. :) They are 70 miles apart. I always have a one way car rental, being sure to not go with any vendor who has drop fees.

There is a LOT of distance, by road, with some of the recommendations above, that I would never consider. Depends on what you want and can get. Good luck.

Southwest opened up flights this morning and at 8 am, some flights were already sold out! This only leaves me with expensive flights on SW or flights at times that I am unable to take. For example: To fly out of Tampa on the 24th, my only options are 2 flights leave before 9:30 am and since I know flights before 11:30 are pushing it, that's kind of a definite no-go! Or, stay a day in Tampa and fly out the next morning but even those flights are over $300 one-way!

Has anyone ever flown into or out of Orlando pre/post cruise? Did you use a rental car or a shuttle service? Would you recommend it?

Thanks to all who reply!

What are your exact travel dates? I'm seeing several 1-stop options on United, Nov. 16-24, for less than $300 return.

What are your exact travel dates? I'm seeing several 1-stop options on United, Nov. 16-24, for less than $300 return.

Those are my dates - or the 17th if it gets in early enough...but the prop plane (saab 340) from JAX to TPA would be a no go for me...they make me sick as a dog. Lol.

Thank you so much for looking! Very nice of you to take the time to do that!

What I ended up doing is booking 2 one-way tickets to and from Orlando. Southwest confirmed I could cancel and book to TPA should a cheaper rate come up. So I booked one-way's so it would be easier to cancel and to ensure that I would get the "wanna get away" rate if I needed to cancel one leg of my round trip ticket. My TA said that one of the flights is showing "sold-out" b/c it connects with an Air Tran flight and they haven't released their schedule yet. So hopefully when that happens, can switch to that!

This only leaves me with expensive flights on SW or flights at times that I am unable to take. For example: To fly out of Tampa on the 24th,

Part of the problem is that your return date is going to be a popular travel day for those heading off on Thanksgiving trips. Higher demand = higher prices

Thanks Keith. Paid more money to fly into TPA the day before bc the cost of rental cars from Orlando was so expensive. But then I read on another thread to use your warehouse membership and so on the way home, we got a rental car back to Orlando for a 4 pm flight for $46!

Since Southwest doesn't charge change fees I may change the arriving flight back to Orlando since it's direct, $90 cheaper, and gets me in at noon versus 7 pm. Plus, we would have a rental car until the morning of the cruise and the return location for the car is a mile from the port with a free shuttle.

We flew to Orlando in March of 2012 for a Tampa cruise. We were able to get a non-stop for less money than a connecting flight into Tampa. Got a car from Hertz at MCO and returned to the Marriott in downtown Tampa within walking distance to the port. Got a cheap one way rate with AARP.

We stopped and had lunch in Tampa at one of the 'Diners,Drive-in's and Dives', then did a bit of shopping for last minute cruise items. We were checked into our hotel, Holiday Inn Express at Rocky Point earlier than we would have landed in Tampa. We enjoyed having the car and being in Florida earlier.

I would have no qualms about doing this again if the flight times and pricing made it worthwhile. For us a 70 mile drive is easy.

PLEASE allow extra time for checking in at Orlando. I find that Tampa is quicker for bags and security. I wish Disney would come in and teach the Orlando airport how to do lines. It was like a mosh pit the last time we went through.

We have flown out of Orlando after a cruise. They have so many time options and competitive prices. We spent the day at Sea World after getting off ship and flew home the next morning.

I agree with above poster that Orlando security can take really long. It is such a crazy busy place but they do a good job.

Florida is a good place to rent a car because the major companies--National, Alamo, do not charge a fee if you pick up at one city and drop off at another.

Archived