Caribbean cruise

JollyMia

We are planning a Caribbean cruise next July,flights Manchester to Orlando (Freedom of the seas,July 31).Quotes are pretty much the same but some quotes approx £100-£150 more to fly the previous day and stay one night in Orlando hotel pre-cruise.Is this necessary?

It is recommended to fly in a day early just incase some problem should arise with weather, or baggage delays the choice is always a personal decision

be sure you take trip insurance

There are many stories about people missing the cruise from unexpected delays or missed connections etc...

I always find the jet lag from the U.S. to Europe worse than Europe to U.S. You don't want to miss the first 2 days of your cruise dead tired.

Orlando is a good distance from the port.

Is the price you are quoting us per person or total for 2 travelers. 250 pounds is waaay high for Florida, even if you add on a shuttle transfer. Check out places to stay near the port, things to do, and info on getting to the port on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

I don't know what time your flight comes in, but you might want to stay overnight near the port and spend a few hours touring the Cape Kennedy Space Center. Not enough time for the full tour, but if this interests you, why not.

I know it is comfortable to have the cruise company handle everything, but thousands of people do the Orlando to Freedom trip every week. I just wouldn't drive myself.

FYI, we have cruised out of England 3 times (4th time next year) and we have always made our own arrangements. We come in a day early and get in some sightseeing before and after cruise. Of course flight arrivals are different coming across the pond in the other direction. I would get to the port the day before and have a relaxing first cruise day.

Having flown from Manchester to both Orlando and Miami for cruises I would definitely recommend flying in at least the day before your cruise. Most flights don't get in until early afternoon and then you have immigration and customs to get through before picking up your luggage (which can be twice at Orlando International). You would be cutting it fine, if at all possible, as most ships will sail around 4pm and want you on board at least an hour before. You can get a hotel (room only) in Orlando with free airport shuttle to/from them for around $50 and port shuttle from airport (return) for around $40 pp - total $130 (+tax?) per couple. I, personally would add a few days prior to the cruise. if possible, and enjoy the theme parks first. We usually book our flights and cruise separately (unless a really good deal) to give us more flexibility. I don't think that as Brits we can use choiceair (happy to be corrected on that, if I'm incorrect).