Toll road cost - Houston to Galveston?

tea4ular

What is the cost on the toll road from Houston to Galveston and can I drop coins in a bin (or are they manned)? I will have a rental car so definitely don't want to get dinged.

Thank you!:eek:

It's not necessary to use any toll roads from Houston to Galveston. Are you driving from an airport? If, Hobby (HOU) just get on I-45 (close to the airport) and take it all the way to Galveston. If from George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) take either 45 or 59 into the downtown area and then 45 to Galveston.

Absolutely no need to use toll roads.

I agree with Texas Tillie:

From Hobby (HOU) use 45South

from Intercontinental (IAH) I recommend 59 south to 45 south - much better/newer road.

Driving in from IAH - so thanks for the tips!

Be very careful in using toll roads unless you have an easy tag. The charges you could run up are exorbitant. You are also subject to a ticket. The 45s, hardy toll road and parts of beltway 8 are easy tag only. 45s HOV/easy tag lane is not open on weekends. I have an easy tag, so do not know the cost. Do know that rates recently increased. Word of warning, do not use the toll road.

I'm back - so my friend begged me to come back and ask..if we WERE to use the toll road, how much does it cost, and can we use coins (drop in basket) or are the roads manned?

Thanks!

There are manned booths many places and those also have lanes where you can drop in coins, but others where an "Easy Tag" is required. Since I have the tag, I really don't remember which is which. Most of the toll booths are now $1.75 (I think), pay about $1.45 with the tag. If you go to the website for the Harris County Toll Road Authority, all your questions can be answered. I, myself, would just use the freeway!

I'm back - so my friend begged me to come back and ask..if we WERE to use the toll road, how much does it cost, and can we use coins (drop in basket) or are the roads manned?

Thanks!

Don't over think this...STAY OFF THE TOLL ROADS. There is NO reason to use them from IAH to the island.

Thanks!

Coming from IAH, part of the portion of the toll road that you COULD take is unmanned, meaning you'll get dinged for going through without an EZ Tag. I agree with the others who have said to avoid it altogether. For the little bit of time you might save, it's not worth the hassle.

ETA: Some rental companies have cars equipped with the tags, but I think they charge around $8-$10 a day. Definitely not worth it if your car is going to sit for the duration of the cruise.

Edited by Rudyard

Thanks everyone - from the map it seems the 8 is the tags only - the Hanley (?) has manned and coin.

I'm surprised you all say no toll road as I keep reading about what a mess the freeway is - I realize the toll road is only a small portion until hitting the 45 to Galveston -

When you leave IAH, there is a portion of the toll road you can take until you get to the loop that is free. Unless you are going to be there during the week and rush hour, don't worry about it. Just take the loop around Houston (toll free) and then down 45 to Galveston.

Thanks everyone - from the map it seems the 8 is the tags only - the Hanley (?) has manned and coin.

I'm surprised you all say no toll road as I keep reading about what a mess the freeway is - I realize the toll road is only a small portion until hitting the 45 to Galveston -

from Airport to 59S to 45S

Everyone has tried to be very helpful.

We all live and drive here so are very familiar with roads and highways. You asked a question and we answered.

If you are bent on taking the toll road - go for it!

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

from Airport to 59S to 45S

Everyone has tried to be very helpful.

We all live and drive here so are very familiar with roads and highways. You asked a question and we answered.

If you are bent on taking the toll road - go for it!

Not "bent on taking the toll road" - just trying to understand the hows and whys. Also don't want to accidentally take an unmanned, uncoined (ETag only) route and get dinged -

Never been to your neck of the woods so I'm reading everything and trying to absorb it all. If "you" came to my neck of the woods I'd be trying to help "you" avoid the worst parts of our freeway system, and provide alternates too.

:eek:

Not "bent on taking the toll road" - just trying to understand the hows and whys. Also don't want to accidentally take an unmanned, uncoined (ETag only) route and get dinged -

Never been to your neck of the woods so I'm reading everything and trying to absorb it all. If "you" came to my neck of the woods I'd be trying to help "you" avoid the worst parts of our freeway system, and provide alternates too.

:eek:

You are overthinking it.

With no tolls :

Take 59 n going south to 45 s thru downtown (our favorite)

Take 45 n going south to 45s thru downtown

Take 59n or 45n going south to 610 before downtown then going east on 610 east loop around to 45s on other side of downtown

Edited by ssb

I keep hearing that Houston area traffic can be a real mess, period. And complaining about traffic is a common "sport" in many urban areas; why should TX be any different?

When we had a rental car there, we packed our patience and avoided toll roads, as others have advised. Fortunately, traffic generally moved along nicely while we were there. I was glad we avoided the toll roads. I hope you are as lucky with traffic as we were.

I keep hearing that Houston area traffic can be a real mess, period. And complaining about traffic is a common "sport" in many urban areas; why should TX be any different?

When we had a rental car there, we packed our patience and avoided toll roads, as others have advised. Fortunately, traffic generally moved along nicely while we were there. I was glad we avoided the toll roads. I hope you are as lucky with traffic as we were.

Sounds right to me! :p

We'll be there in a week from Friday - are the toll roads marked as such so that you have time to avoid them? We don't have toll roads here, so not sure what to expect. We ARE renting a gps with the car, so maybe the GPS will guide us around toll roads?

We'll be there in a week from Friday - are the toll roads marked as such so that you have time to avoid them? We don't have toll roads here, so not sure what to expect. We ARE renting a gps with the car, so maybe the GPS will guide us around toll roads?

My GPS gets cranky if I don't take the toll roads - I guess because they make the drive "shorter" and my GPS thinks I want the "shortest" route!

My GPS gets cranky if I don't take the toll roads - I guess because they make the drive "shorter" and my GPS thinks I want the "shortest" route!

Look at the maps and familiarize yourself ,

keep it

simple go to I 45 go south on I45 all the way to Galveston. and don't get off!

OP, if you do decide to take the toll road, the northeast portion between the airport and I-10 is unmanned. everywhere else you can pay cash. There are some unmanned on and off ramps at various spots. but you most likely wouldn't be hitting those anyway. You can always follow the feeder / frontage road along the northeast portion until you get to I-10 and can then get on the toll road proper. You'll hit a bunch of lights, but it's doable.

OP, if you do decide to take the toll road, the northeast portion between the airport and I-10 is unmanned. everywhere else you can pay cash. There are some unmanned on and off ramps at various spots. but you most likely wouldn't be hitting those anyway. You can always follow the feeder / frontage road along the northeast portion until you get to I-10 and can then get on the toll road proper. You'll hit a bunch of lights, but it's doable.

And the person who uses the freeway will already be in Galveston! :eek::D:cool: