Dawn - Sauna and Steam Room

Roce48

I have not cruised that much, and only once before on NCL, and am starting to realize why. No Lobster Night, and now I am being told that I have to pay to use a sauna! What other surprises am I facing?:mad:

I am not sure the sauna and steam room are part of what you have to pay for, I know the pool is a pay item...no info on the NCL website regarding this that I can find... we leave on the Dawn next Friday and would like more info also.

I have not cruised that much, and only once before on NCL, and am starting to realize why. No Lobster Night, and now I am being told that I have to pay to use a sauna! What other surprises am I facing?:mad:

If it's in the Spa, it's much more than just a sauna. We bought the Spa passes on the Breakaway, and it was great knowing that there was an uncrowded area of tranquility to escape to (they only sell a limited number of passes). If it were free, it would be packed! No thanks.

If it's in the Spa, it's much more than just a sauna. We bought the Spa passes on the Breakaway, and it was great knowing that there was an uncrowded area of tranquility to escape to (they only sell a limited number of passes). If it were free, it would be packed! No thanks.

While on other cruise lines I have never found their free saunas and steam rooms crowded or packed. It is a shame that they do not offer these rooms separate from their speciality spa. service area!

Edited by Roce48

If it were free, it would be packed! No thanks.

Incorrect.

As I mentioned above, the steam / sauna is FREE on the Pride of America and the most crowded I saw it during our trip was two other guys + me at the same time. (And both of those guys were employees)

I had it alone at least 75% of the time.

The question was regarding the Dawn - the Dawn is one of the smaller older NCL ships - I don't imagine the SPA on the Dawn is the same as the SPA on the Breakaway or the Getaway or even the EPIC, could someone who has been on the Dawn or a similar ship comment on this? I am sure the Breakaway has a much more elaborate SPA than the Dawn...

The question was regarding the Dawn - the Dawn is one of the smaller older NCL ships - I don't imagine the SPA on the Dawn is the same as the SPA on the Breakaway or the Getaway or even the EPIC, could someone who has been on the Dawn or a similar ship comment on this? I am sure the Breakaway has a much more elaborate SPA than the Dawn...

Yes, the spa is not free. If you want to use it and the facilities in it, you have to pay. You have to get a pass for each individual that is going in and if they don't sell out, they will sell you a day pass.

It is aft on deck 11, each side, men and women have their own sauna and steam room.

Edited by rvsullivan

Yes, on the Dawn they're well within the "pay" area. You check in at the desk to go in and they're off the dressing rooms (by gender).

I don't recall that they were anything fancy, so if you consider it an important part of your cruise (enough to buy a pass for) you might want to consider one of the newer, bigger ships with fancier spas so you'd feel you were getting a bigger return on the money you had to lay out to get the sauna.

I just spoke with NCL staff who confirmed that the saunas and steam room were indeed within the Mandarin Spa, but luckily the lap pool and hot tub in the same area were open to everyone without a charge.:)

This may not be the case on the Daen, but it is worth checking on. Recently the Jewel was dry docked and they added a small steam room in the gym area. I would never have know about it if I had not gone in to use the bathroom in the gym area. It was rarely used. The area was no frills as compared to the spa, but at least I could steam without a spa pass. Worth checking out, just in case it is available. If so, please let us know.

Yes, the spa is not free. If you want to use it and the facilities in it, you have to pay. You have to get a pass for each individual that is going in and if they don't sell out, they will sell you a day pass.

It is aft on deck 11, each side, men and women have their own sauna and steam room.

FWIW, the spa is not operated by NCL.

I was on the Dawn in November of 2012. We paid $119 a person for the week long spa pass.

You check in with your spa pass at the front desk and then go to the locker room, separate locker rooms for men and women. The sauna and steam rooms were attached to the locker room. The men's locker room also had a cold plunge pool. Off of each locker room is a small relaxation area with comfy chairs, soothing music, and a lovely aft view.

Going through the locker room, you come to the main spa area. There are recliners facing the windows overlooking the wake. There is a thalssotherapy pool, kind of a fancy jacuzzi that you can lie down in. There is also a regular jacuzzi.

In the center of the area is the lap pool. It's not very big - maybe 25 x 40, nor deep - maybe three - four feet. It's very nice though - float on your back and look up at the ceiling with little lights that look like stars.

Finally they have a refreshment area with ice water, juice, and a variety of teas.

The Dawn's spa does not have some of the fancier hot tubs or heated recliners that the newer ships have.

I enjoyed the spa very much, and I knew what I was getting, and was fine with what I paid for it. We had a few days of rain, and it was wonderful to have the spa to retreat to.

I'm not sure what the NCL rep was talking about, but I can't imagine that the lap pool and hot tub are free - not only would there would be no way to monitor that, but no one would pay $119 for just the steam & sauna access. Maybe they were thinking of the regular pool and hot tubs on the main deck.

Bostongal965, you are correct. The lap pool and hot tub are not open to nonpaying guests. There were RCCLers on my last cruise who were quite incensed that they would have to pay to use any of the facilities. The spa was very busy for the first 7 days of the cruise, and nearly empty on the next 7. It was heaven. Epic is bigger but Dawn was quieter.

I just spoke with NCL staff who confirmed that the saunas and steam room were indeed within the Mandarin Spa, but luckily the lap pool and hot tub in the same area were open to everyone without a charge.:)

You spoke to another dazed and confused NCL employee. What they told you about the pool and hot tub being open to everyone without charge is completely wrong.

I can assure you the person you spoke to is 100% wrong. You need to purchase a Spa Pass to use anything within the spa. This excludes massages, haircuts, nails etc... Everything else... lap pool, sauna, steam room, heated loungers, showers you must purchase a weekly spa pass or a day pass if available.

Edited by Laszlo