4 Carnival ships earn perfect scores on health inspections

jimbo5544

The Liberty, Magic Triumph and Splendor have all received perfect scores in recent U.S.P.H. and Health Canada (the Splendor). This brings the total of perfect inspection totals this year to 12 by Carnival. Great job and a lot of hard work pays off!

To earn a 100 score, cruise ships must receive perfect marks on all of the items that comprise comprehensive checklists from either U.S.P.H. or Health Canada

As a past owner of my own restaurant, I can say these inspections are no joke. They will keep looking until they find something. Great job Carnival.

There is an incredible amount or effort that goes into keeping a ship in this condition. Some of these are scheduled (the inspections) and some are not. It is not by chance that high inspection reports also cut down on things like noro and other ailments.

The Liberty, Magic Triumph and Splendor have all received perfect scores in recent U.S.P.H. and Health Canada (the Splendor). This brings the total of perfect inspection totals this year to 12 by Carnival. Great job and a lot of hard work pays off!

To earn a 100 score, cruise ships must receive perfect marks on all of the items that comprise comprehensive checklists from either U.S.P.H. or Health Canada

Not trying to rain on your parade, but wanted to prevent misconceptions. While perfect scores and Carnival's record this year are quite laudable and a commendable performance, a perfect score does not mean that nothing was found wrong. Because of the weighted scoring, there are many items that are noted on the inspection form, and require corrective action, but don't weigh enough to warrant a point deduction. Well done, Carnival.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but wanted to prevent misconceptions. While perfect scores and Carnival's record this year are quite laudable and a commendable performance, a perfect score does not mean that nothing was found wrong. Because of the weighted scoring, there are many items that are noted on the inspection form, and require corrective action, but don't weigh enough to warrant a point deduction. Well done, Carnival.

Yes, but in all fairness they are not serious enough violations. I must say the sanitation on these ships is one reason I love sailing. I am one who is always concerned with cross contamination and food sanitation. These ships do a good job keeping those hazards at bay.

This is great news because we are about to go on the Liberty...Can I please get a source? Because when i go to the CDC website, the last inspection of the Liberty shows as 11/13...

I'd love to share this info in our roll call!

Here's what the CDC website shows:

Carnival Liberty Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc. | 11/2/2013 | 100

This is great news because we are about to go on the Liberty...Can I please get a source? Because when i go to the CDC website, the last inspection of the Liberty shows as 11/13...

I'd love to share this info in our roll call!

Here's what the CDC website shows:

Carnival Liberty Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc. | 11/2/2013 | 100

Yes, if you search Carnival Liberty, the last report is from 2013. However, if you use the tab at the top of the advanced search page "ships scored 100", you will find the most recent score, which is from 8/20/2014

Edited by chengkp75

Carnival does an excellent job with cleanliness with galley and DR.

USPH inspections go far, far beyond the cleanliness of the galley and DR. It touches on nearly every aspect of cruise ship operation:

Potable water sanitation, including chlorination, sanitizing of shower heads, backflow prevention, documentation, and periodic testing for bacteria.

Recreational water facility sanitation, including chlorination, fecal incident response, documentation, and maintenance.

Medical reporting and care of GI illness cases, and record keeping and reporting.

Lighting in galley and food prep areas. Construction of galley equipment (down to the types of screws used to hold things together). Ventilation throughout the ship, including bacteria and mold prevention in the A/C duct system.

Of course, food safety, cross contamination prevention, and proper handling of potentially hazardous food, right down to where the food is purchased. Sanitation procedures for equipment, hand washing for food handlers, and other operational practices.

Solid and liquid waste management equipment, operation, and practices.

Housekeeping procedures, child care facility procedures, and pest control practices.

Yes, if you search Carnival Liberty, the last report is from 2013. However, if you use the tab at the top of the advanced search page "ships scored 100", you will find the most recent score, which is from 8/20/2014

I clicked that link and the ship dated 8/20/2014 is the Pride, not the Liberty...am I missing something?

Edited by ChaplainPagne

Kudos to Carnival for having some additional great/perfect scores for the inspection of the galley, its equipment, record keeping, and food storage facilty!! Nicely done.

. . . I must say the sanitation on these ships is one reason I love sailing. I am one who is always concerned with cross contamination and food sanitation. These ships do a good job keeping those hazards at bay.

Oh, how I wish that were completely true.

Those inspection scores are somewhat limited in scope (although extremely detailed on those specific areas). Were the inspectors to go up and carefully observe the food handling processes in the Lido serving areas after the passengers had boarded . . . there is definitely potential for a strong change of heart/score on some of the ships. :eek:

Pictures and video of food handling situations onboard some Carnival ships has been used in "How Not To" training for others in the industry in the past.

I clicked that link and the ship dated 8/20/2014 is the Pride, not the Liberty...am I missing something?

Oops, my bad. I saw the two Carnival ships there, and my eyes assumed Liberty was one of them. Sorry. Typing too fast today.

Kudos to Carnival for having some additional great/perfect scores for the inspection of the galley, its equipment, record keeping, and food storage facilty!! Nicely done.

Those inspection scores are somewhat limited in scope (although extremely detailed on those specific areas). Were the inspectors to go up and carefully observe the food handling processes in the Lido serving areas after the passengers had boarded . . . there is definitely potential for a strong change of heart/score on some of the ships. :eek:

Pictures and video of food handling situations onboard some Carnival ships has been used in "How Not To" training for others in the industry in the past.

While I don't doubt you are correct, (and I am really not trying to make this a brand issue), I have noticed that there is one brand who leads the way in noro breakouts (and not in a good way). I know the two are not related per se, but when we sailed on Oasis (oops:confused:), I have never seen so much hand sanitizer being dispersed (almost forcefully so). Not trying to steal the thread (it's my thread so I guess its ok;)) but I wonder why that is?

Your not raining on my parade, I respect your input and value your knowledge, you add a lot with your posts here. That being said, I was not trying to imply perfection, but rather that Carnival scored well (actually as good as you can) in areas that cruisers that frequent here might think important. The real point was/is I was trying to recognize the tremendous amount of hard work that is done in order to get these perfect scores (which you acknowledged as well).

One of the reasons that a USPH inspection typically takes 8+ hours, is that the inspectors REQUIRE that at least one meal service be witnessed. If you've ever read one of the inspection reports or the corrective action reports, you would know that many of the items flagged deal with food handling practices during meal service.

Like all inspections, from a USPH VSP inspection, to a USCG flag state SOLAS inspection, to your annual state car's safety inspection, it is merely a snapshot of the condition AT THAT TIME. However Carnival faired in the past is not relevant to this inspection, but you need to look at the trend of scores. Any cruise line can be called out for having a poor inspection, even luxury lines (Silver Shadow). USPH inspectors are very good at determining whether or not a good performance at meal service is a "one-off" for the inspection or indicative of a sanitation culture. They will do this by stopping a harried Lido bus person, and asking him questions about hand sanitation or proper dish handling procedures, right in the middle of service. If the crewmember acts flustered, or answers incorrectly, even if observed doing the correct procedure, the inspectors will know that the culture does not run deep, and will look into things further.

A USPH inspection generally consists of 3-4 inspectors, so at least 2 will be doing meal service, one front of house, one back of house.

Many USPH inspectors are former city and state health inspectors (quite a lot from NYC), and they will tell you that the VSP and its inspection protocols are orders of magnitude tougher than any city or state health code or enforcement.

I'm not saying that Carnival is perfect, and as I've said, even a perfect score can have corrective action required. What I am saying is that I don't pick out one line or one ship as being worse or better than others unless I have studied ALL of the ship inspections over many years to see what the trend is like, not only for each cruise line, but for each ship.

I would be interested in where you feel the inspections are "limited in scope". Have you ever been through one?

Not trying to steal the thread (it's my thread so I guess its ok;))

Hi! Since it is your thread, can you confirm where you saw the Liberty listed as a recent 100? I can't find it anywhere. We are about to sail in two weeks and I wanted to share this info on our roll call page, but I can't find anything that shows that the Liberty was inspected after 11/13.

Thanks!

Hi! Since it is your thread, can you confirm where you saw the Liberty listed as a recent 100? I can't find it anywhere. We are about to sail in two weeks and I wanted to share this info on our roll call page, but I can't find anything that shows that the Liberty was inspected after 11/13.

Thanks!

A web site called cruise industry news dot com

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed!

You will enjoy the Liberty have sailed her 4 times, including the med and also have sailed in the captains suite.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app