San Francisco - Superbowl weekend.

roscoe39

Hi., looking for some local knowledge, I arrive by ship on the Saturday of Superbowl 6 February 2016 and leave on the Queen Victoria the following night. Not having any experience with Superbowl I have no idea how this would effect shops, tourism, tours etc. I assume the city will be full but is everything open during the game?

thanks for any information...

Roscoe

Edited by roscoe39

It's THE event of the year for football. But, yes, life does go on even though there is a major sporting event around the corner.

Edited by SadieN

This is the 50th Super Bowl & they will probably have many activities. Levi's Stadium is 45 miles south of the cruise terminal so maybe the downtown SF area won't be too busy. It's been many years since the last Super Bowl was played in the LA area (Pasadena) but there were events scheduled in downtown LA for that game.

Arriving on Saturday by ship & sailing on Super Bowl Sunday evening where is your hotel or do you overnight on the ship before sailing?

Hopefully someone from the San Francisco area can give you a better idea but with the game being in Santa Clara maybe it won't adversely affect you.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Given the location of the stadium you will be fine.

Keith

thanks guys., we are overnighting on the ship, but I have a few favourite shops I want to visit so was curious as to whether everything would be open. Sounds like it probably is....

I did see it was the 50th Super Bowl so hoping to soak up some of the atmosphere....i take it I'm rooting for the san francisco 49ers?????

thanks again....R

Edited by roscoe39

While the stadium is 45 miles away from downtown, the events preceding the game are all being held in downtown SF, as SF is the host. And the Saturday before is the big day for the events. I know a "football city" ( I forget the actual name of the thing) is closing streets at the foot of Market St- the main street of SF. MANY things will be going on in SF that Saturday.

As you are overnighting on the ship, you are perfectly situated in the middle of things.

Edited by CruiserBruce

IMO for most "natives", unless the the home team is in the Super Bowl (highly doubt it this year) watching it is probably 3 or 4 down the list of things to do.

So life goes on, restaurant n' stores will be open, and the pubs will be a little busier.

thanks guys., we are overnighting on the ship, but I have a few favourite shops I want to visit so was curious as to whether everything would be open. Sounds like it probably is....

I did see it was the 50th Super Bowl so hoping to soak up some of the atmosphere....i take it I'm rooting for the san francisco 49ers?????

thanks again....R

49ers won't be in the Super Bowl.

i take it I'm rooting for the san francisco 49ers?????

thanks again....R

I'm not a gambler but the current odds of the 49ers getting to the Super Bowl are 38/1 and to win it's 68/1. So if you want to root & to gamble on the 49ers you may be able to pay for some of your cruise. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Regardless if the 49ers are in the Super Bowl or not, SF will be crazy that weekend. There will be hundreds of thousands of people in town associated with the Super Bowl. Hopefully it won't be raining, as that is still well within our rainy season.

I'm not a gambler but the current odds of the 49ers getting to the Super Bowl are 38/1 and to win it's 68/1. So if you want to root & to gamble on the 49ers you may be able to pay for some of your cruise. ;)

im not either but thats given me something to think about..be nice to see something other than the all blacks playing rugby...

My sense having been at other cities when the Super Bowl was going on is that you will find most things open. While some streets will be closed if you are getting around on foot you will not have any problems. Actually, a very exciting time to be in town.

Keith

My sense having been at other cities when the Super Bowl was going on is that you will find most things open. While some streets will be closed if you are getting around on foot you will not have any problems. Actually, a very exciting time to be in town.

Keith

And you won't have a hard time getting around San Francisco since the game will be played an hour away in Santa Clara.

The Niners would be a long shot to be in it...BUT, San Franciscoans love a party...Heck, the City becomes a zoo for "Fleet Week"...or Bay to Breakers...or just about any minor holiday...

So, expect everything to be open and busy...

Although many of those coming in just for the game will likely look to stay in Santa Clara...or elsewhere in the Silicon Valley--close to the stadium, plenty of people looking to have an extended visit and enjoy all of the celebration will stay IN the City...enough to likely fill the hotels and raise the hotel rates.

Make sure you have a hotel reserved...

And, DO NOT rent a car...driving and parking will be difficult...and it is plenty easy to get around on foot or by public transportation...especially for just one overnight...

Sounds like you are both arriving and departing by ship...So, you don't have to worry about SFO (the airport) or about airport transportation or traffic...Though the City will be busy, it should not affect you much--other than hotel prices...

All of the festivities should just add to the atmosphere.

The OP is overnighting on the ship- see Post #5- so doesn't have to worry about a hotel. The OP has a near perfect situation for enjoying the madness that will be happening.

yes, thanks for clarifying that Bruce, though others joining my ship while she is in SF have changed to embark in LA as they found accom in SF difficult and expensive.

Looking forward to some hometown madness.

go yankees....(?!)

You said it, I didn't (but I was going to!! :D )

If the 49ers surprise us, I would proceed cautiously out on the streets, no matter the outcome of the game. I love San Francisco dearly, I grew up nearby and lived in the city for a few years, so this is not just a Seahawks fan's bias talking here...but San Francisco sports fans just do NOT behave well after a big game, even when they win!

Seahawks fans, on the other hand...

Edited by Casagordita

You said it, I didn't (but I was going to!! :D )

If the 49ers surprise us, I would proceed cautiously out on the streets,.but San Francisco sports fans just do NOT behave well after a big game, even when they win

Thats fantastic...I might have even more fun than I thought!