Celebrity- Choice Air issue

Karynanne

This morning I booked one way tickets, using Celebrity Choice Air to FCO, for for an upcoming cruise in Oct.

The booking went smoothly until afterwards I checked our booking on British Air's site.

My husband's first name is William, and middle name Earl. BA had transposed the name. After calling, I was told they "assumed " he was an "Earl", thus giving him that title.

I'm trying to get this corrected. Any suggestions?

After calling, I was told they "assumed " he was an "Earl", thus giving him that title.

I'm trying to get this corrected. Any suggestions?

Who did you call?

And who did they say had done the assuming?

As you booked the ticket through an agent (ie Choice Air), it should have been the agent's responsibility to get the name correct. If it was the agent you spoke to, and they said that BA made the mistake, I would be sceptical about that explanation. In the days when agents booked tickets by phoning their contact at the airline, and the airline's agent wrote down the name and then wrote out a ticket, the story might have some plausibility. But today, nobody at the airline applies human thought to stuff like this because it's all done on the basis of what the agent types in. Or the customer, if that's how the agent's system is set up.

A second reason why no human at BA would have assumed this is because bookings for Earls are rarer than hen's teeth. A human would be much more likely to assume that Earl was a (fairly common) given name.

When we also know the answer to FlyerTalker's question, there might be some more ideas about what to do next. They may include doing nothing.

For next time, the main lesson is this: do not use middle names when booking air tickets. Use passport first name and passport family name. And nothing else.

For next time, the main lesson is this: do not use middle names when booking air tickets. Use passport first name and passport family name. And nothing else.

Globaliser,

Normally I would never even think about questioning your post, however, I think you got this one wrong. From a US citizens point of view anyway.

I believe in the States, the airline ticket MUST match your official identification. Passports require your middle name if given one. Therefore you airline ticket must have middle name.

If I'm mistaken, please accept my apologies.

I do tons of tickets for travelers and it seems the middle name isn't that big of a deal anymore. If a name is misspelled or not shown, even though it's on the passport, it's not a problem to fly. I have a lot of clients fly this way.

I believe in the States, the airline ticket MUST match your official identification. Passports require your middle name if given one. Therefore you airline ticket must have middle name.
I don't think I've come across such a rule. The ticket first name and ticket family name should match your passport/ID first name and passport/ID family name, but including middle names in tickets is AFAIK optional.

I certainly book plenty of tickets for departures from US airports (both domestic and international) using only my passport first name and passport family name, omitting the middle names which are clearly shown on the passport that I use as ID. There's never been so much as a raised eyebrow, let alone difficulty.

I've just checked with a dummy booking on the AA website, and the "Middle Name" field is definitely optional.

I don't think I've come across such a rule. The ticket first name and ticket family name should match your passport/ID first name and passport/ID family name, but including middle names in tickets is AFAIK optional.

I certainly book plenty of tickets for departures from US airports (both domestic and international) using only my passport first name and passport family name, omitting the middle names which are clearly shown on the passport that I use as ID. There's never been so much as a raised eyebrow, let alone difficulty.

I've just checked with a dummy booking on the AA website, and the "Middle Name" field is definitely optional.

Well,,, okay then. This old dog has learned something new

BTW, I will be in your part of the world next week for a few days for the first time. I'm really looking forward to it.

Globaliser,

Normally I would never even think about questioning your post, however, I think you got this one wrong. From a US citizens point of view anyway.

I've flown 3 trips this year, including international, Scl/ Bcn and none had my middle name. (passport always used)

Globaliser,

I guess it all depends on who is checking for ID's at the gates and how busy they are. It just takes one person to give you grief. For me I always have my tickets match passports with all the names to avoid any possible problems when checking in.

How bizarre.

If you booked the reservation on line yourself, then obviously some else had to make the change manually, in which case BA should make the name correction for you without any hassle.

Pat says that BA should just upgrade Bill to First Class since apparently someone thinks he's nobility. :D

I'm the OP, and after several inquires with BA, I was told that "their screen" shows the correct name. My screen doesn't. I'll be at SFO a few weeks prior to our flight, and I'll ask a ticket agent to check on it.

I'm the OP, and after several inquires with BA, I was told that "their screen" shows the correct name. My screen doesn't. I'll be at SFO a few weeks prior to our flight, and I'll ask a ticket agent to check on it.
So do you actually want any help from us?