EPIC, "take away food"

yippiolguis

Hello eveyone, I'm wondering about policy or posibility to take away the food on the ship. Buffet, O'Sheeran... Can I ask for my food, ot take my food and just walk away with it?

Like take my breakfast from the buffet and go to H2O and eat it there, or to my room...I do not ask about MDR because I guess that is a no. But on some other cruiselines I was not alowed to take my delicious salad from the buffet outside and I don't want to get embarrased again.

Thank you!

Hello eveyone, I'm wondering about policy or posibility to take away the food on the ship. Buffet, O'Sheeran... Can I ask for my food, ot take my food and just walk away with it?

Like take my breakfast from the buffet and go to H2O and eat it there, or to my room...I do not ask about MDR because I guess that is a no. But on some other cruiselines I was not alowed to take my delicious salad from the buffet outside and I don't want to get embarrased again.

Thank you!

I took buffet food outside with no issues on the breakaway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Buffet no problems, just get what you want and leave. O'Sheehans you'll need to order as though sitting in and simply take it away when it's brought. They won't plate it up 'to go'.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Buffet no problems, just get what you want and leave. O'Sheehans you'll need to order as though sitting in and simply take it away when it's brought. They won't plate it up 'to go'.

Thanks, specially for the O'sheerans, I was afraid someone tell me, hey sit there to eat your food!

On the Spirit this year there was a notice on the counter of The Blue Lagoon (fast food café 24 hrs) that food is not to be take away, only consumed in the café area. We have previously take food from there back to the room. Didn't notice anything like that on the Epic last year, but could have changed .

We were on the Epic a couple of weeks ago and observed people taking food from the buffet back to their rooms. We didn't see any signs to the contrary. Personally, I don't want to eat in my room, but hey, you're on vacation....so take the food if that's what you want to do.

Which cruise line stopped you taking buffet food to go? I will make a note not to book through them

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Now I'm doubting if was my las one on RCI or the one on Celebrity. Sometimes in the afternoon or just after lunch I like to take a small salad(plenty of carrot, go get tanned xD) with me to eat it on the lounges one deck up to the pool but I was stopped at the entrance of the buffet.

I think it was on Celebrity, as long as right now I'm having a picture myself my mind on the Liberty guest services line with a smal bowl of white chocolache chips and a young kid looking at them as if I was carrying gold( I shared with him :D).

Kind of off topic on my own topic, but on that liberty of the seas cruise there were very nice people on the snack/coffe place on the promenade. First day, before going to sleep I went there to make myself a chocolate milk(colacao), but milk was cold. So I asked the ladies if they had hot milk and they made it foamy and hot for me with the expresso machines they have for the noncomplimentary coffe, and told me to ask them for that every night :D

We were on the Epic a couple of weeks ago and observed people taking food from the buffet back to their rooms. We didn't see any signs to the contrary. Personally, I don't want to eat in my room, but hey, you're on vacation....so take the food if that's what you want to do.

Yeah, is just preferences. Sometimes I like to take something to eat on the balcony while getting ready for dinner whatching the sunset for example.

Thanks, specially for the O'sheerans, I was afraid someone tell me, hey sit there to eat your food!
They actually might. Taking food out of the buffet is no problem, but on some ships they do (attempt to) have a no take-out policy in the dining rooms and restaurants.

Now I'm doubting if was my las one on RCI or the one on Celebrity. Sometimes in the afternoon or just after lunch I like to take a small salad(plenty of carrot, go get tanned xD) with me to eat it on the lounges one deck up to the pool but I was stopped at the entrance of the buffet.

I was on the Celebrity Reflection in January and there were no issues taking food from the buffet.

Thank you!

How about choosing lines/ships with casual dining on outside terraces (e.g., every Oceania ship's Terrace Grill)?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They actually might. Taking food out of the buffet is no problem, but on some ships they do (attempt to) have a no take-out policy in the dining rooms and restaurants.

Yes and they would at O'Sheehans if you make it obvious you are there to takeaway. Order a drink whilst you wait on your food. Adds to the illusion [emoji1]

On the Gem they were stopping people who tried to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would it be ok if I brought my own "leftover containers" from home to carry food back to my room? I am an early riser and my husband sleeps in. I'd like to go to a restaurant or the buffet for breakfast alone and bring his back for him to have in the room, if he ever wakes up!

The buffet will be fine, and bringing your own containers is a good idea, so your food can be securely covered and protected from spillage and from other people's coughs and sneezes (and disapproving glares :) ). It also makes it easier to carry a cup of coffee at the same time, etc.

At other dining venues, if you are on a ship where they don't want you taking food away, I don't know if it makes any difference if you offer to use your own containers. If the food is on the table, you can adopt the "try and stop me" approach that makes cruising with others such a pleasure. But if you're on your own, you may have trouble getting them to bring you food for a second person who isn't there.

Thanks for all the answers!!

@Dumplynn I was also thinking about take a container, I've done it other times but have not used it. But as I'm cruising in july and it will be hot as hell maybe I'll use it to take some grapes, or small but strong food for the excursions. I have really low blood pressure and have the ability to faint in the worst moments and that small things are allways useful.

About that I've read recently that is not allowed, well...I'll try I don't know if they will take it away from me when getting off to the ports, but have done it without any problem in Caribbean cruises. Well, just one time when getting back to the ship they stopped my backpack because there was a banana(from the ship) on it, but no big deal. Other example, while on Israel I bough on Jerusalem some huge beautiful promegrenates and got them to the ship without any problem, I also had them not hidden in my stateroom till I ate them(pd, they were not as tasty as our spanish ones)

Would it be ok if I brought my own "leftover containers" from home to carry food back to my room? I am an early riser and my husband sleeps in. I'd like to go to a restaurant or the buffet for breakfast alone and bring his back for him to have in the room, if he ever wakes up!
Wouldn't it be just as easy to make him a plate and bring it to your cabin, instead of filling containers? You can cover it with another plate, so that there is no spillage.

Thanks for all the answers!!

@Dumplynn I was also thinking about take a container, I've done it other times but have not used it. But as I'm cruising in july and it will be hot as hell maybe I'll use it to take some grapes, or small but strong food for the excursions. I have really low blood pressure and have the ability to faint in the worst moments and that small things are allways useful.

About that I've read recently that is not allowed, well...I'll try I don't know if they will take it away from me when getting off to the ports, but have done it without any problem in Caribbean cruises. Well, just one time when getting back to the ship they stopped my backpack because there was a banana(from the ship) on it, but no big deal. Other example, while on Israel I bough on Jerusalem some huge beautiful promegrenates and got them to the ship without any problem, I also had them not hidden in my stateroom till I ate them(pd, they were not as tasty as our spanish ones)

While I see no problem with people taking food out of the dining areas on cruise ships, I do see issues with taking non-packaged foods on and off the ships in ports. The rules and laws about that are there for good reasons to avoid transporting plants, animals, and diseases to other areas where they become detrimental to that areas native plants and animals.

While I see no problem with people taking food out of the dining areas on cruise ships, I do see issues with taking non-packaged foods on and off the ships in ports. The rules and laws about that are there for good reasons to avoid transporting plants, animals, and diseases to other areas where they become detrimental to that areas native plants and animals.

That was just my experience, and about my upcoming cruise, if I'm stopped I won't do it, but as long as is just Europe, its a free movement of goods space, so tecnically, and legally there should be no problem.

That was just my experience, and about my upcoming cruise, if I'm stopped I won't do it, but as long as is just Europe, its a free movement of goods space, so tecnically, and legally there should be no problem.

"Technically" you need to follow the laws and rules of the ship. "You" don't get to make the rules. "You" have to follow them.

There is free movement of goods once they have been legally imported into the EU. Not all of the food on board has been cleared for entry into the EU (because it's not meant to leave the ship, except in passengers' bellies).

It's true that most European countries are not very strict about enforcing rules about what individual travelers bring in. Not because there is "no problem", but because they have to allocate their resources to higher priority problems.

Europe is divided into two zones. In one zone they say "I know it's not right, but I will do it anyway, unless they make it very difficult". In the other zone they say "I know it's not right, so I won't do it, even if they make it very easy". If you take the metro you can tell which zone you are in…

Paris_Metro_Pigalle_001.JPG

DSC02097.jpg