NCL's Target Market

macandlucy

NCL's demographics seem to be every demographic. They have something for young families, old families, couples, solos, children, those that like to dress up, those that don't like to dress up, those that like to cruise on a budget (spending little or nothing onboard the ship) to those that have no issue spending a lot on the ships.

Don't most cruise lines have these or similar options?

Yes they do.

I think NCL will regret the moves they are making. Their new "mega" ships can not compare to RCCL's. IMHO it is not even close. NCL prices are now equivalent to RCCL and seem to still be on the rise. I thought I would stay NCL loyal for some time to come, but would much rather go on the RCCL ships for the same price then stick with NCL's every changing product. NCL's biggest "ding" in my book is their terrible communication. They make changes to people sometimes mid-cruise (and deffentaly after the cancellation window) which is unforgivable to me. Planned changes rolled out for cruises in the future (when you can still cancel if you feel the change reduces the value of your cruise) are one thing. Having to check this board weekly to make sure you still know what product you are getting is not. I think the gains NCL has seen are short term and they will begin to lose market share as people realize the other lines offer better value (Cheaper price - CCL or Better ships - RCCL).

6&8

The way they are going I think they want the people who want the very bottom price and hope they will go for all the a la cart stuff.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

I don't know where these bottom of the barrel prices are...

We usually sail during Feb break and used to be able to get an SE or SF suite for about $1300-1500/pp guests 1-2. Now those same suite, same week in 2016, for the older smaller ships are running $2500-3300/pp :eek:

I have sailed RCI, CCL, NCL, and Celebrity. IMO I didn't see the difference between the first three. Celebrity was in a different class. I am not a partier by any means, but the "activities" on CCL, for me, were the best. I really pick a cruise purely based on itinerary, all thought the freestyle part does help. Happy cruising, no matter what ship/line you are on

Yes they do.

I think NCL will regret the moves they are making. Their new "mega" ships can not compare to RCCL's. IMHO it is not even close. NCL prices are now equivalent to RCCL and seem to still be on the rise. I thought I would stay NCL loyal for some time to come, but would much rather go on the RCCL ships for the same price then stick with NCL's every changing product. NCL's biggest "ding" in my book is their terrible communication. They make changes to people sometimes mid-cruise (and deffentaly after the cancellation window) which is unforgivable to me. Planned changes rolled out for cruises in the future (when you can still cancel if you feel the change reduces the value of your cruise) are one thing. Having to check this board weekly to make sure you still know what product you are getting is not. I think the gains NCL has seen are short term and they will begin to lose market share as people realize the other lines offer better value (Cheaper price - CCL or Better ships - RCCL).

6&8

If RCCL ships are so much better than NCL why is the approval rating for the Anthem 49% on this sight?

The target market is the Target market.

Carnival's going for the Walmart demographic.

Lol!

The truth is funny sometimes....[emoji2]

The fact is NCL is like $20-100 more with lots of extras which one can buy or not; especially special dining which most of the other lines don't more of them. It's not necessarily the cheapest line when it comes to basics included in the fare compare to Carnival, but the included are much better quality and more quantity - like 5 different complimentary evening entertainment shows at same time on the same day, not counting the party or the nightclub, for example.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

I believe ncl's demographics vary by ship - the newer ships much more family friendly and younger couple type, the older ships better suited to the older generation.

I don't mind the cost of the add on's - as you get that anywhere, and you can choose a cheaper cruise with no add ons, or a more expensive cruise by buying more... its your choice.

Also with entertainment, the last thing you want is to miss shows, or have to choose between one or another, I think ncl get the variety and timing spot on.

Edited by kirsty_r

NCL, and then Carnival, provide the best experiences for me and the way I like to cruise. I'm also heavily driven by total price, as well as being limited to particular itineraries and cruise length. Carnival (and RCI) have been offering the best overall deal lately, and no amount of NCL "promotions" can make up the difference. It's too bad, really, but the pendulum will surely swing back the other way eventually.

The truth is funny sometimes....[emoji2]

The fact is NCL is like $20-100 more with lots of extras which one can buy or not; especially special dining which most of the other lines don't more of them. It's not necessarily the cheapest line when it comes to basics included in the fare compare to Carnival, but the included are much better quality and more quantity - like 5 different complimentary evening entertainment shows at same time on the same day, not counting the party or the nightclub, for example.

I have not yet cruised NCL, but I know for sure I have seen upcharge items on the menu in the MDR on other cruise lines (don't remember which, maybe all, and I think CCL). This never struck me as a negative, just as an option (that I never took). As a newer cruiser, that's the norm for me.

The different shows on the same day I see as a huge plus.

If RCCL ships are so much better than NCL why is the approval rating for the Anthem 49% on this sight?

Why would one thing have anything to do with the other?

This is just one site and is hardly representative of the market.

No matter which line I cruise, well more than half the folks I talk with have never heard of CC.

I don't know where these bottom of the barrel prices are...

We usually sail during Feb break and used to be able to get an SE or SF suite for about $1300-1500/pp guests 1-2. Now those same suite, same week in 2016, for the older smaller ships are running $2500-3300/pp :eek:

Prices in the cruise industry are supply and demand. Contrary to popular thinking, cruise lines don't have a lot of control over these. If the prices get out-of-wack, people will switch to CCL, RCL, and others with a heart beat. If prices this year are much higher for the exact same cruise last year, it means more have signed up this year, maybe due to the economy, low jobless rate, or maybe NCL introduced something that people like better.

Now, having said that, the cruiseline can and do make many tweaks. The old game is to make the advertised price as low as they can, to at least snare first-time-cruisers that don't know better, and believe it or not, most ships have MANY first-time-cruisers. then they just charge for everything to get there money back.

Lines line Oceania operate the same, but they are firmer at setting a price and holding it. If sales are low, they send cruises of to liquidators to get what money they can. They also start throwing in extras like free excursions etc. but in the end, they operate just like the big guys. Still supply and demand in the end.

I have not yet cruised NCL, but I know for sure I have seen upcharge items on the menu in the MDR on other cruise lines (don't remember which, maybe all, and I think CCL). This never struck me as a negative, just as an option (that I never took). As a newer cruiser, that's the norm for me.

The different shows on the same day I see as a huge plus.

It's just recently and only on one ship regarding upcharges in the MDR for NCL, no real ETA when rest of the fleet gets the upcharges. Probably next year when the rest get the a la carte restaurant price change (currently only Escape has a la carte in the restaurants affected and Breakaway /Getaway in Ocean Blue only).

Actually, I welcome the a la carte pricing change in Le Bistro and Cagney - it winds up costing way less for me than original cover charge price. Especially now that I can't eat full over-portion 3 course meals - which those restaurants serve.

Yes, having better and more entertaiment is always a plus. True, Carnival has the Punchliner but 2 problems with is 1) comedian is bad, and 2) that's the only entertainment they have for evening & if you don't like partying/dancing in the nightclub, well, you're done for the night.

Prices in the cruise industry are supply and demand. Contrary to popular thinking, cruise lines don't have a lot of control over these. If the prices get out-of-wack, people will switch to CCL, RCL, and others with a heart beat. If prices this year are much higher for the exact same cruise last year, it means more have signed up this year, maybe due to the economy, low jobless rate, or maybe NCL introduced something that people like better.

Now, having said that, the cruiseline can and do make many tweaks. The old game is to make the advertised price as low as they can, to at least snare first-time-cruisers that don't know better, and believe it or not, most ships have MANY first-time-cruisers. then they just charge for everything to get there money back.

Lines line Oceania operate the same, but they are firmer at setting a price and holding it. If sales are low, they send cruises of to liquidators to get what money they can. They also start throwing in extras like free excursions etc. but in the end, they operate just like the big guys. Still supply and demand in the end.

I understand supply and demand.

What I am referring to is the small group of folks on this board who repeatedly claim that NCL has low prices and then you can pick and chose your add-ons and upgrade charges as a way to justify FDR's nonsense. The prices are higher than ever and the add-ons and up charges just make the price even higher thereby negating their silly argument that what FDR has done is good for the customers...

I understand supply and demand.

What I am referring to is the small group of folks on this board who repeatedly claim that NCL has low prices and then you can pick and chose your add-ons and upgrade charges as a way to justify FDR's nonsense. The prices are higher than ever and the add-ons and up charges just make the price even higher thereby negating their silly argument that what FDR has done is good for the customers...

I can't speak for others, but in my case for next year - 2 out of 3 weeks of my B2B are $422 each ($522 with taxes and fees) with no promos on the Getaway when NCL wasn't running any during that time window. The 1 week I booked on Escape was $799 ($920 with taxes and fees) I booked along with Getaway around the same time - was still $799 ($920) when I rebooked it with $50 each port shore excursion credit. Couldn't rebooked the other 2 weeks because the fares went up to $1000 each by then.

It helps that I travel during the off-peak when prices are lower anyway. Also, those prices/fare are for a solo traveler in a studio room, which has it own perks included. Plus, my DSC is $12.95 per day and which is locked, if paid before final payment. If not. It's $13.50 onboard.

Edited by maywell

The prices are higher than ever and the add-ons and up charges just make the price even higher thereby negating their silly argument that what FDR has done is good for the customers...

And so has my grocery bill ! I'm certainly not paying the same for meat as I did last year, prices are up all across the board (except for gas and we have OPEC to thank for that!)

And so has my grocery bill ! I'm certainly not paying the same for meat as I did last year, prices are up all across the board (except for gas and we have OPEC to thank for that!)

That's my point... prices are up everywhere including NCL but the FDR loyalists insist since we have so many add on now that base prices are low... it just isn't true.

NCL does not have a direct competitor, it sits on its own space grabbing customers from every where.

What has happened over the years is other lines have adapted to some of NCLs more compelling USPs

The most obvious are some form of flexible dining, more dining options and upgraded suite amenities with lounges an restaurants.

In the mass market there have been steady cutbacks and the economy has not helped, a return to quality and some adjustments in capacity should help firm prices.

The lines that don't get too greedy will fill their ships with less discounting.