Tips learned from the Carnival Ecstasy

1. Always have the Faster to the fun excursion. It comes in handy in the parking lot lines at the port of Charleston.

2. If you want to eat with just your partner or spouse and not with complete strangers, go directly to the maitre' d and ask to have your seats change to two only dining.

3. If you eat supper normally around 5 to 6 at home, don't try to change things up and pick the late dining. We tried this and are still trying to recover.

4. Drink wine, rather than the mixed drinks or fruit smoothie daqueries. Your wallet will thank you later. The wine prices per glass are the same as any restaurant, with surprisingly decent amount of wine.

5. If you smell sewage on the boat... keep walking, the boats not leaking sewage. Somebody was kind enough to let you know they partook too much in the buffet

6. Take a power strip. Only one outlet existing in the cabin and one in the bathroom.

7. Avoid parking at the charleston port if possible, it only causes undue stress and frustration..

• Like 1

About the power strip

Make sure it isn't a surge protector. Land surge protectors are a fire hazard and ship's electricity isn't grounded into dirt. Take a regular extension cord.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

1. Always have the Faster to the fun excursion. It comes in handy in the parking lot lines at the port of Charleston.

2. If you want to eat with just your partner or spouse and not with complete strangers, go directly to the maitre' d and ask to have your seats change to two only dining.

3. If you eat supper normally around 5 to 6 at home, don't try to change things up and pick the late dining. We tried this and are still trying to recover.

4. Drink wine, rather than the mixed drinks or fruit smoothie daqueries. Your wallet will thank you later. The wine prices per glass are the same as any restaurant, with surprisingly decent amount of wine.

5. If you smell sewage on the boat... keep walking, the boats not leaking sewage. Somebody was kind enough to let you know they partook too much in the buffet

6. Take a power strip. Only one outlet existing in the cabin and one in the bathroom.

7. Avoid parking at the charleston port if possible, it only causes undue stress and frustration..

8 .try a newer & nicer ship next time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Any suggestions on where to park? We will be driving in the day of departure.

I did the park and stay at the sleep in in Charleston. little pricey, $270 for room for 4, shuttle to pier, free breakfast, and week parking. looks like nice hotel too.

We've sailed out of Charleston several times, but not recently. Unless something has changed, their process was maybe different than other ports, but nothing that we found terribly bad. As for Ecstasy, never sailed her, but have sailed Fantasy class several times, and like another poster, the class is our favorite. Looking forward to getting back on a big boat in December!

I enjoy the Fantasy class ships-they are my favorite

Me, too.

This summer I did the Valor for 5 days and then the Ecstasy 6 days later for 4 days. I was able to directly compare many things because they were so close together. I fully expected to prefer the Valor.

There were some things I enjoyed on the Valor that the Ecstasy doesn't have (Alchemy bar, Guy's), but I actually preferred the Ecstasy.

We spoke to many crew members and they said they also prefer the smaller ships.

We got better service on the Ecstasy and the food was noticeably better.

This might not be true for all ship comparisons, obviously; however, I was happy to see that I can continue to sail happily on the Fantasy class ships for years to come without feeling like I am missing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by zabaco

About the power strip

Make sure it isn't a surge protector. Land surge protectors are a fire hazard and ship's electricity isn't grounded into dirt. Take a regular extension cord.

We always take a surge protector and have never had problem. 14 cruises on Carnival.

Edited by patrice1

We always take a surge protector and have never had problem. 14 cruises on Carnival.

Still a fire hazard.

Surge protectors reroute to a ground. No ground on a ship bc there isn't any ground.

Me, too.

This summer I did the Valor for 5 days and then the Ecstasy 6 days later for 4 days. I was able to directly compare many things because they were so close together. I fully expected to prefer the Valor.

There were some things I enjoyed on the Valor that the Ecstasy doesn't have (Alchemy bar, Guy's), but I actually preferred the Ecstasy.

We spoke to many crew members and they said they also prefer the smaller ships.

We got better service on the Ecstasy and the food was noticeably better.

This might not be true for all ship comparisons, obviously; however, I was happy to see that I can continue to sail happily on the Fantasy class ships for years to come without feeling like I am missing out.

I appreciate your comments. We have previously cruised the Legend & Elation. I really want to try the larger ships with more bells & whistles but like hearing that the Fantasy class ships still have "got it going on". :D

I appreciate your comments. We have previously cruised the Legend & Elation. I really want to try the larger ships with more bells & whistles but like hearing that the Fantasy class ships still have "got it going on". :D

We have also been on the Legend when it sailed out of Tampa. Great trip.

I have found that enjoying a cruise is more about who I am cruising with than anything else. My favorite cruises have been the Ecstasy and the Fascination. Both Fantasy class!

Zabaco, I agree! I have been on 15 cruises - this was our first time on Carnival. We had a great time on the Ecstasy. Of course she needs updating, but a cruise is what you make of it. I really didn't care for some of the decor, but the crew could not have tried harder. I would sail on her again. Our last two cruises were on the NCL Breakaway. Both ships were filled to capacity. The biggest difference? You could always find a seat on the Ecstasy. The food was better as well. IMG_1472819122.861789.jpg.3a0792b02f02cb13f146b0d23d111ff2.jpg

Here's an interesting observation. I like the spa locker areas of the fantasy Class ships better than the Victory and Conquest and the Breeze. The Fantasy class spa/locker area is better laid out, brighter airier and more contemporary looking. How come? Seems these areas took a backward step on the newer Conquest class ships and the Victory. The Fantasy bath fixtures seemed fancier...Vessel Sinks, and a window looking out to the sea. However I concede the sauna and steam rooms on the Victory and Conquest are larger and have great sea views. Go figure. Why the design difference? From the Fantasy class ships I learned a lot about day in, day out ship commuting to the spa, Lido deck, MDR etc. The larger newer ships are more user friendly in that regard, larger common areas more elevators that are faster and less convoluted designs. Just my 2 cents. I enjoy all Carnival ships and have FUN! Regarding the food. Maybe not so much ship size but the MDR American Dining is a bit on the generic side. But, there is always plenty of choices and plenty to eat. Not to get off thread topic but, I wish Guy's Burgers, the Iguana and the Froggy had longer hours. Too restricted. I mentioned that in my feedback and review of my cruise last year on the Breeze. The pizza pirate can get too congested and overwhelmed at peak times at night. Either open an additional pirate on the other side of the ship or better yet, have Guy's Burgers be another round the clock dining choice!

• 2 months later...

We were on this cruise because a friend was getting married at Nassau and my wife as I'm the wedding, from what we saw this would be a very good cruise to take your kids on as there are a whole lot of things to do with kids on this boat also at Half Moon Cay. Staff was excellent as they have been on all 4 cruises we have been on. Very fun times!