Tips learned from the Carnival Ecstasy

• 1 month later...
My husband and I will be sailing on the Ecstasy on 2/23/17. This is our first ever cruise as well. We are excited and nervous at the same time. I am glad that I read this about the port and surge protectors. I will go out and but an extension cord for our cruise.

Skip being nervous on your first cruise. Worry being addicted to it after.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
How rude. I don't think the OP was complaining about the cruise or the ship...just pointing out things that he/she noticed.

I agree totally. But in defense of that comment, he was prob just saying it if you are not happy, try better next time. After all, there are much better than Ecstasy, so to speak. What your definition of better is varies. It is older, more tired and yes, quaint. The Ecstasy was our very first cruise and I will forever love her and hold her in high regard. I would go back on her in a minute, for sentimental value, memories, and she is just a great and fun ship! Someone told me when I first started looking that its a good thing to start out lower, as you can compare and do better in the future. True. But I have fun because of my attitude, not surroundings. Put me on a pontoon with lawn chairs and I am in heaven. That being said, Ecstasy is awesome, so HAVE FUN

I also like the Fantasy class ships. Our first cruise/honeymoon was on the Fantasy. We've been on most sister ships and are going on Fascination in June for our 25th wedding anniversary. I think the most important things about a cruise are 1) who you go with, and 2) your attitude. Things WILL go wrong on a cruise, but your ability to laugh about it and bounce back are what makes a good cruise turn into a GREAT cruise.....besides, any day on a cruise is much better than a day in the office!

My husband and I will be sailing on the Ecstasy on 2/23/17. This is our first ever cruise as well. We are excited and nervous at the same time. I am glad that I read this about the port and surge protectors. I will go out and but an extension cord for our cruise.

Don't be nervous [emoji4]

One tip: there are two aft outdoor "patios" at the very back of the Lido dining area. One door by aft bar, one by aft pizza. These are typically "undiscovered" until the cruise is several days in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with most, I have been on Imagination (out of Long Beach) several times, and honestly it's one of my favorite cruises! I travel with my 9-year-old son, though, so maybe that has something to do with it?? We ALWAYS have a great time: Love the water slides, we rarely have to wait in line for ANYTHING, we love the Hasbro game show, the comedians are far better (perhaps because they usually come from Los Angeles??), fellow cruisers are so chill and fun, and the crew is cool as well. Also worth noting, the food is far superior to that of the Liberty in Orlando. (At least as of late.)

Plus it's like, one of the cheapest cruises that Carnival offers: One of the comedians noted that during his performance, as he was light-heartedly making fun of all of us!! Can't go wrong! LOL! I loved it!

Just off the ecstasy yesterday. It was not much different than other ships. A little smaller is all. The service was not the best, but that is Carnival and not the ship.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Forums mobile app

I was with him on this cruise, and he means the service was not the best due to obvious cutbacks by Carnival, at least compared to the others we have been on.

I, on the other hand, think the Ecstasy needs to be retired. She is worn out. I have a long list of reasons why, which I will let Carnival know.

I

I, on the other hand, think the Ecstasy needs to be retired. She is worn out. I have a long list of reasons why, which I will let Carnival know.

It is also probably paid for and just making CCL money. No need to get rid of a ship that still works and doesn't break down.

It is also probably paid for and just making CCL money. No need to get rid of a ship that still works and doesn't break down.

I definitely agree with this! But I can see situations when cruisers new to Carnival or new to cruising in general will choose this ship and wind up with a not so favorable view of Carnival and switch to another line as a result. That's quite a bit of lost revenue because these same people will be paying more for some other lines if they switch....where they could spend more money on Carnival's newer ships if they had a more positive experience with their first cruise on Carnival.

I've never been on Ecstasy and it seems that many love it though! My thought just comes from a couple that I know that cruised on her (1st and only Carnival cruise) and weren't big fans. They subsequently went to another line and now I can't convince them to go on a Carnival cruise with me (even on a newer ship) because their mind is made up about Carnival. Oh well....their loss.

I asked this question on another thread that was never answered. That thread slipped off into history so I will try again here. Thanks for your candid responses.

They've scheduled Ecstasy for a couple of Journey cruises. And it seems that in the recent dry dock Carnival did everything they could to turn an old weekend war wagon into the 'signature' small ship for the line. Now more money could be spent on continuing upgrades but I'd like everyone's thoughts on whether they pursued/accomplished the lion's share of that objective and ask if you would find her to be a suitable ship for a 10+ day experience. We've never sailed on a Fantasy class ship and certainly have no need for size, but fresh and clean and upgraded is certainly a priority. Thanks for your input.

Get a porter when leaving the ship. Eliminates the long line waiting to get through customs. Well worth it. We only had 3 suitcases and a couple small hand bags, and we ended up tipping him $10 because he was so nice and got us through the mess.

I asked this question on another thread that was never answered. That thread slipped off into history so I will try again here. Thanks for your candid responses.

They've scheduled Ecstasy for a couple of Journey cruises. And it seems that in the recent dry dock Carnival did everything they could to turn an old weekend war wagon into the 'signature' small ship for the line. Now more money could be spent on continuing upgrades but I'd like everyone's thoughts on whether they pursued/accomplished the lion's share of that objective and ask if you would find her to be a suitable ship for a 10+ day experience. We've never sailed on a Fantasy class ship and certainly have no need for size, but fresh and clean and upgraded is certainly a priority. Thanks for your input.

If you want clean and upgraded, I think the Ecstasy is pretty good in that area after her upgrades. The new food choices and the Alchemy Bar were really needed I think, especially for the longer cruises she's running now in Charleston.

Could I stay on her for 10 days? Probably so, actually. I would have said no before the dry dock. We are doing a 7 day in October on her, so check back with me after that but after my 5 day last month I was left wanting more!

The only thing I would like to see Carnival add to ships like the Ecstasy is more late night dining besides pizza and room service (and the downscaled midnight snacks buffet) - which the Journeys cruises have with the return of the glamorous midnight buffet, right?

If you want clean and upgraded, I think the Ecstasy is pretty good in that area after her upgrades. The new food choices and the Alchemy Bar were really needed I think, especially for the longer cruises she's running now in Charleston.

Could I stay on her for 10 days? Probably so, actually. I would have said no before the dry dock. We are doing a 7 day in October on her, so check back with me after that but after my 5 day last month I was left wanting more!

The only thing I would like to see Carnival add to ships like the Ecstasy is more late night dining besides pizza and room service (and the downscaled midnight snacks buffet) - which the Journeys cruises have with the return of the glamorous midnight buffet, right?

I was happy to see all the upgrades they made as she is a Fantasy Class ship. I was just on the Fascination (The San Juan itinerary used to be a larger ship, the Valor I believe. My DH booked the cruise as a surprise for my b'day and while I was thrilled with my itinerary, I wasn't happy about not experiencing some of the nicer features.) I am glad to see that while she is older, they tricked her out with some of the nicer amenities such as Guys, BlueIguana, and Alchemy. The Fascination has one of the best itineraries in the fleet, but it is bare bones in terms of amenities (besides the serenity deck, which I believe all ships have now, and even then, no pool there, just 2 Jacuzzi's- understandable being as the ship is only but so big.).

We booked this cruise as a first time cruise with our 2 kiddies as the price was right and the port is driveable. I knew it was a fantasy class so I was not expecting much in terms of "frills". I'm so glad I get to try some new amenities! I think she will be an oldie but goodie.

1. Always have the Faster to the fun excursion. It comes in handy in the parking lot lines at the port of Charleston.

I have FTTF but didn't realize it would help with parking...this is my 3rd time having it. How do you use it for parking?

• 5 weeks later...
I have FTTF but didn't realize it would help with parking...this is my 3rd time having it. How do you use it for parking?

FTTF jumps you to the front of every line, including the line to park at the terminal.