Age restriction for alchohol

Chippy1967

We are cruising from Southampton Transatlantic, with our 18 year old daughter, will she be allowed to consume alchohol on board the ship. We have a select drink package.

She likes an occasional glass of Rosé

Moya

Edited by Chippy1967

I see you are on Independence of the Seas. The RCI web site offers this bit of contradictory information:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=5380 (emphasis mine):

Q: What is the minimum age requirement to consume alcoholic beverages?

A: The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America is eighteen (18).

The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in North America remains at twenty-one (21). Any sailing that includes a US port the minimum drinking age is 21, even when orginating in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. The minimum age to consume alcohol at all private destinations remains twenty-one (21) without regard to where the sailing originated. The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age of alcohol consumption on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

On a Celebrity British Isles cruise out of Amsterdam' date=' my 18 year old nephew was allowed to consume alcohol.[/quote']

The OP is asking about RCI, not Celebrity. Different cruise lines have different rules.

I see you are on Independence of the Seas. The RCI web site offers this bit of contradictory information:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=5380 (emphasis mine):

A: The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America is eighteen (18).

The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in North America remains at twenty-one (21). Any sailing that includes a US port the minimum drinking age is 21, even when orginating in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. The minimum age to consume alcohol at all private destinations remains twenty-one (21) without regard to where the sailing originated. The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age of alcohol consumption on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

Not really contradictory. The first sentence applies to cruises that originate in those places, Europe for instance, that do not call at a US port. The second paragraph says that all cruises that call at a US port limits the age to 21, regardless of where they originate.

Not really contradictory. The first sentence applies to cruises that originate in those places, Europe for instance, that do not call at a US port. The second paragraph says that all cruises that call at a US port limits the age to 21, regardless of where they originate.

The answer is therefore NO she will not be allowed to consume alcoholic drinks under the conditions in the rules during this cruise.

Regards John

Fishywood has given you the info straight from the horse's mouth.

And it's a good job you were given that answer, because like a lot of folk I was aware that RCI's age limit was dropped to 18 on cruises out of the UK - but not that the limit was back to 21 if the destination was the US.

I'm guessing that your trans-Atlantic is a re-positioning cruise and ends somewhere like Florida or San Juan, so is one of the very few out of Southampton where the minimum age is 21.

So the prospects are that daughter won't be allowed a drinks package - and altho bar staff probably wouldn't notice / wouldn't care if her drinks were bought on your sea-pass that might be problematic since you will have a drinks package.

A distinct probability that your daughter will be on the wagon :eek:

JB :)

Fishywood has given you the info straight from the horse's mouth.

And it's a good job you were given that answer, because like a lot of folk I was aware that RCI's age limit was dropped to 18 on cruises out of the UK - but not that the limit was back to 21 if the destination was the US. I

I'm guessing that your trans-Atlantic is a re-positioning cruise and ends somewhere like Florida or San Juan, so is one of the very few out of Southampton where the minimum age is 21.

So the prospects are that daughter won't be allowed a drinks package - and altho bar staff probably wouldn't notice / wouldn't care if her drinks were bought on your sea-pass that might be problematic since you will have a drinks package.

A distinct probability that your daughter will be on the wagon :eek:

May contact our travel agent,

When I booked the cruise, we were all given a select drink package and gratuities,

So looking forward to this. I think

May contact our travel agent,

When I booked the cruise, we were all given a select drink package and gratuities,

So looking forward to this. I think

As things stand, it could be interesting at check-in time. ;)

On most cruise lines, the passenger's sea-card (combined boarding card/cabin key/charge card) is coded to show the passenger's age (or at least over/under 18 or 21) and whether they have a drink package. Theoretically the machine shouldn't be able to create a sea-pass which includes an alcohol package if the passenger is under-age for that cruise.

But RCI's crew & head office staff are capable of getting it wrong. Since they presumably knew daughter's age when they accepted the booking of the drinks package, mebbe they forgot to set their system for this cruise to the same age as quoted in their terms.

That wouldn't surprise me. :rolleyes:

Mebbe just let it ride & see what happens, rather than draw attention to it? ;)

Edited by John Bull

RCI sea pass cards have on them a group of kids embossed on the background for quick age reference so the bartenders and other venues like the suite lounge knows they are not able to legally drink alcohol.

Our adult sea pass cards had a solid background.

(we were in a suite and it was really notice-able on hers).

I Guess it is the rule on certain sailings as listed above when it is 18 0r 21.

Safe travels.

Edited by Lionesss

I'm well above the min drinking age 😉 but I remember reading about a disclaimer form you fill out at the beginning of a cruise which allows your 18-20 year old drink beer and wine. All I can advise is when you get on board go to guest services and ask.

NCL allows that waiver but I don't know of any other cruise lines that allow it.

Messaged Royal Carribean international last night

This is my message

Could you please confirm for me rules and regulations on a transatlantic cruise from Southampton regarding an 18 year consuming alchohol as part of a select package.

This is their reply:-

Hi Moya, thanks for getting in touch. It very much depends where you set off from. If you depart from the US, the minimum drinking age will be 21yrs of age. If you depart from Europe, it will be 18yrs years of age.

We hope that helps! 😊

So just gonna see when we set sail.

Only 348 days .:):):)

Messaged Royal Carribean international last night

This is my message

Could you please confirm for me rules and regulations on a transatlantic cruise from Southampton regarding an 18 year consuming alchohol as part of a select package.

This is their reply:-

Hi Moya, thanks for getting in touch. It very much depends where you set off from. If you depart from the US, the minimum drinking age will be 21yrs of age. If you depart from Europe, it will be 18yrs years of age.

We hope that helps! 😊

So just gonna see when we set sail.

Only 348 days .:):):)

You might want to read post #2 above - which appears to make it clear that, even if a cruise departs from a European port, if it calls at a U.S. port, the age is 21. I hope it works out for you.

You might want to read post #2 above - which appears to make it clear that, even if a cruise departs from a European port, if it calls at a U.S. port, the age is 21. I hope it works out for you.

But if you read the OP's last post, it looks like RCI need to read RCI's rules :D

Having re-read post #2 it does appear a bit arbitary insofar as if you follow the link given therein relating to the same question regarding minimum age limits regarding alcohol consumption. The rider, regarding: "Any sailing which included a US port the minimum age is 21 even when originating in Europe" does not appear in that version of the answer.

This seems strange in terms of having a definitive policy with a straight answer.

Regards John

Having re-read post #2 it does appear a bit arbitary insofar as if you follow the link given therein relating to the same question regarding minimum age limits regarding alcohol consumption. The rider, regarding: "Any sailing which included a US port the minimum age is 21 even when originating in Europe" does not appear in that version of the answer.

This seems strange in terms of having a definitive policy with a straight answer.

Regards John

Are you talking about the link in post #2? Because when I open it, it reads exactly as quoted in post #2.

Are you talking about the link in post #2? Because when I open it, it reads exactly as quoted in post #2.

Not on my screen, Fishywood & chengkp. ;)

And not the first time I've come across this sort of discrepancy between RCI's .com and .co.uk websites :rolleyes:

Fishywood has quoted the terms on RCI's .com website, but the sentence I've highlighted above in red is absent on their .co.uk website.

When accessing RCI's website from the UK, we are automatically connected to the co.uk website - even if we click on Fishywood's link or enter the .com address in the address bar.

Here's the answer to that question on RCI.co.uk :

Q: What is the minimum age requirement for the consumption of alcoholic beverages?

A: The minimum age to consume alcoholic beverages on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21). The minimum age to consume alcoholic beverages on Royal Caribbean International ships sailing from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).

The minimum age to consume alcohol at all private destinations remains twenty-one (21) without regard to where the sailing originated. The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age of alcohol consumption on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

Some time back I came across a similar discrepancy between their .com and .uk websites regarding prohibited items - IIRC curling tongs was on one but not the other.

Hope this explains the confusion

No on my screen the two scripts vary. The link given sends you to the RCI website but it is obvious to me that it is telling me that I am in The United Kingdom. I am thinking that they have different messages relating to where you are based but this should not be so logically as the question and answer relate to a single scenario which will be the same irrespective of where you might live.

This is what is confusing as no definitive answer can be obtained with two contradictory answers given.

Regards John

There was a mention of NCL asking for a signature for someone under 21 year...RCI used to do the same until it was mentioned on here, by a CC Host, that as an 18yr old is an adult in the UK, therefore they cannot have a legal guardian. RCI altered the rules soon afterwards, and began allowing 18yr olds alcohol outside of the USA.

I would think that the meaning of these mixed messages is a cruise which includes the USA as a port of call, not as a disembarkation port.

I am sure the 21 y.o. drinking age is just a policy that RCI has implemented on their ship. I don't think any but maritime law applies once in international waters. After all their are cruise ships sailing out of the USA that allows under 21's to drinks with parental consent. So I don't think there is any impedances for RCI to introduce some comprise between the 21 -18 year old policy.

I am sure the 21 y.o. drinking age is just a policy that RCI has implemented on their ship. I don't think any but maritime law applies once in international waters. After all their are cruise ships sailing out of the USA that allows under 21's to drinks with parental consent. So I don't think there is any impedances for RCI to introduce some comprise between the 21 -18 year old policy.

RCI was the last cruise line with a drinking age of 18 for cruises out of the US--well into the mid 1990s more than 10 years after every US state had raised their drinking age to 21. So of course there is no enforcement issue once in international waters.

And I know on the regular QM2 crossings between Southampton and New York the drinking age is 18 except when actually docked in Brooklyn. Though this is easily workable as there are no intermediate stops; on longer TAs with ports calls on either side of the ocean crossing practicality may dictate just leaving the drinking age at the highest applicable one.

What about the age for Golden Princess sailing from Australia to NZ, as they both have it at 18?. Thanks

Princess can be just as confusing as RCI. For the Princess ships permanently home ported in Australia or Asia the drinking age is 18, though on certain Asia sailings from Japan it is 20. For the Princess ships temporarily spending one season Down Under--as Emerald Princess will do in Summer 2016/17--their official policy has stated the drinking age remains 21. The current Asia/Australia version of the passage contract lists the ships that are 18, not mentioning the Emerald--or Golden, even though it has just been announced she will permanently remain.

But here is an example of how "official" the policy is: for the rest of the world the drinking age on Princess is 21 except for cruises both beginning and ending in the UK where it is 18. However there have been many reports over the past year that on Med cruises the age was 18, announced as such in writing in the daily schedule. Now the Western Hemisphere passage contract has been changed to this oddly vague policy:

No Guest under the age of 21 may purchase, possess or consume alcohol during the Cruise[...]On some sailings the minimum age for alcohol is under 21 and each Guest agrees to abide by whatever alcohol age restriction is in place on the ship during the Guest's cruise
Edited by fishywood