Need Help-our cruise arrives in BA at 8am flight back to US 11pm

jhenry1

We arrive in BA at 8 am and our flight back to the US is at 11pm. Has anyone ever encountered this and if so I am open to suggestions of what to do without spending all that time a t the airport. We will have luggage and will need to keep it with us. Hope someone can give me some suggestions of tours and private drivers that can be trusted with the luggage.

Kandy

we arrive in ba at 8 am and our flight back to the us is at 11pm. Has anyone ever encountered this and if so i am open to suggestions of what to do without spending all that time a t the airport. We will have luggage and will need to keep it with us. Hope someone can give me some suggestions of tours and private drivers that can be trusted with the luggage.

Kandy

ba?

BA I believe is Buenos Aires.

Check the Roll Call for your specific trip. You will likely find others who have already solved this problem and will share their answers with you.

Also, Princess many times offers disembarkation excursions for those with later flight departures (like yours).

You definitely don't want to stay at EZE waiting for your 11:00pm flight. Check-in for the late flights doesn't start until about 6:00pm and there is NOTHING before security at EZE but a few chairs, a small snack bar and a sundries shop. It is pretty nice after security with restaurants and duty free shopping. We returned to BA on the Star after the Chilean earthquake in 2010. BA was a port stop in the return, not a turnaround day. They let the several hundred people disembarking stay on until about 2:30pm. We just took a cab and killed the three hours in boredom until check-in opened. I would definitely book a tour for the day, either with Princess or a private company. As others have suggested, check your roll call, the South American ports of call threads or TripAdvisor.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

caribill and KirkNC, the OP is arriving on a Princess cruise at Buenos Aires and will need to disembark the ship in the morning. They can probably stay on until between 9:30-10:00. Their flight does not depart until 11:00 pm. They will have 8-10 hours to kill before needing to check-in. They need to book some sort of tour.
Edited by IECalCruiser

It is common for flights to the US to depart at night. Your cruise line likely offers an all-day excursion ending at the airport. Otherwise, you can hire your own guide or tour independently (in which case, you'll need to arrange day storage of your luggage, probably at a hotel). The forum archives can be searched for helpful info, and others on your Roll Call will be similarly situated and may have ideas. Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I would not have booked a flight this early. I assume it is an international flight? If yes, it takes a while, sometimes an hour or more just to get to the airport.
Really? Good luck with that.

Flights from South America to the US almost always leave after 10pm at night. Practically everyone who disembarks in Rio, Buenos Aires or Santiago experiences this. Unless you want to take multiple flights back to the US, there are no other choices.

Princess will offer all-day tours once you're on the ship that will drop you off either at the airport or at a hotel near the airport where you can relax and then shuttle you to the terminal. You could book an independent tour to do the same. The vast majority of passengers opt to take a tour rather than go directly to the airport to sit and wait.

Edited by Pam in CA

Since we had been to BA a few times previously, we decided to just hole-up at a hotel near the airport before that late flight out. The Hotel Plaza Central Canning was perfect and the rate was quite reasonable. Confirmed that we would be given an early check-in (around 11:00). The hotel is located in a small shopping/restaurant plaza, nothing fancy tho. They provided transportation to the airport when we were ready to go.

You might want to arrange a cab in advance to be sure he knows how to find this hotel. That was the only hitch we had as we just grabbed a taxi outside the port and he had trouble finding it and then wanted to charge us more than what we had negotiated with him. I think there's a Holiday Inn or something near the airport too. We just wanted to put our feet up and relax before the long flight home.

If you're interested you can email: info@hotelplazacentral.com.ar

We took a ship tour that delivered us to the airport after the tour. Our luggage was on a truck along with all the other people on our tour. However, it took us an hour to locate our luggage on one of the several trucks dropping off all the baggage (and it was mixed in with a different tour). Anyway, once you get inside the terminal, the overseas flights do not have anyone staffing the desks until about 5 p.m. So, you are pretty limited in what you can see and do in the airport with luggage in tow. Seats fill up with everyone waiting, just like you, for the check-in desk to open. These are the couple of hundred folks on your flight and a few hundred more on other US bound flights. There are kiosks to speed the process, but you still have to wait in line to hand over your bags. So, see if you can book a tour that really takes most of the day, stay on the ship until final call, or get a day rate at the nearby hotel as someone suggested.

Once you get through security, there are places to eat, duty free shopping and if your lucky, spot a celebrity! I saw the Lidia Bastianich, an American celebrity chef, television host, author, and restaurateur.

Also, the gate may not be posted, or changed unexpectedly, so keep an eye on more than one monitor. Someone from our cruise almost missed their flight because they were unaware the gate changed!

After all this, our flight was delayed another hour because of a thunder storm! Hang loose and think about the great cruise you just had. :)

At the airport, you´ll find lots of people having their luggage wrapped in plastic, I think it was 10$ a case...apparently it´s recommended for departures from here. We flew out from B in April 2014 took about 45 mins to get to the airport, traffic in BA is horrendous and there are major ongoing roadworks in the city

Sandy in Spain

• 3 weeks later...
We arrive in BA at 8 am and our flight back to the US is at 11pm. Has anyone ever encountered this and if so I am open to suggestions of what to do without spending all that time a t the airport. We will have luggage and will need to keep it with us. Hope someone can give me some suggestions of tours and private drivers that can be trusted with the luggage.

Kandy

you can go to an estancia for the day. pickup at pier and drop off at airport. what is the date you will be there? We are doing just that on December 1.

• 2 weeks later...

I have made arrangements with Fred at Silverstarcar transfers. He will meet us at pier and tour us around take us to an early dinner and then to the airport around 8-8:30 pm. He is from Dallas, Texas and actually called me . If anyone is looking for something like this contact Fred.

Kandy