Water in mexico

Ken Greco

If your ports include Mexico be aware that no matter what the locals tell you do not drink the water or have drinks with ice. If your GI system is prone to developing a sour system avoid getting sick by sticking to beer, bottled coke or bring bottled water from the ship. Some people can tolerate drinking water based drinks others can not. You do not want to be the "others that can not". Enjoy the Mexican ports for what they are but please come back to the ship well.

If your ports include Mexico be aware that no matter what the locals tell you do not drink the water or have drinks with ice. If your GI system is prone to developing a sour system avoid getting sick by sticking to beer, bottled coke or bring bottled water from the ship. Some people can tolerate drinking water based drinks others can not. You do not want to be the "others that can not". Enjoy the Mexican ports for what they are but please come back to the ship well.
What are your qualifications to make such a statement please? Edited by FLACRUISER99

Gee is that news. I think people have known this for maybe what, 30-40 years......? :rolleyes:

Exactly.

But almost all the popular tourist establishments do have purified/filtered water these days.

I trust the places in Coz..

What are your qualifications to make such a statement please?

You don't have to be qualified, a professional or an expert to make such a statement. All you need to do is listen and learn to what other people are saying.

Oh, and here's a testimonial/qualification note. A friend of mine worked at a resort in Playa del Carmen for 3 years and based on her experience, she even said not to drink the water.

I have been traveling to Cozumel for 25 plus years on both land vacations and cruises. Probably close to 50 trips in all. I have never had any issues drinking the water or with the ice as most of the establishments use purified water. I don't know, maybe the tequila kills whatever the ice has in it ;)

However, if you are not comfortable drinking the water or enjoying the ice in drinks then by all means, don't do it :rolleyes:

I was at the mall that Carnival docks at Playa del something mall. I had an iced coffee.

I finished it and then realized it had to be brewed with local water and it had ice. Thought I was going to be a goner.

Once I got back on the Allure I forgot all about it and never even had a moment of discomfort. Next time, perhaps I should ask, but then I realized this place probably servers dozens of US passengers weekly, so it likely was somehow made safe.

Dolby1000

I have had more margaritas than I would care to admit at Pancho's Backyard in Cozumel. Never a problem. Also many glasses of water and margaritas at Garcia's in Progreso. I think you can probably trust the "we use purified water" signs or those businesses probably wouldn't keep their foreign business for long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Just got back from a wonderful week in Mazatlan. Drank a lot of margaritas, ate local cerviche. Had lots of food that was on ice. Maybe I do have a cast iron stomach, but I think most likely some people are still living in the past.

Exactly.

But almost all the popular tourist establishments do have purified/filtered water these days.

I trust the places in Coz..

True .... Popular tourist establishments really do have purified water/ice!

We've had meals and drinks in Cozumel for over 30 years and have never been sick. :)

LuLu

~~~

I hope all of those that never got an upset GI system from drinking water or ice in Mexico that is great but for those who have gotten sick will never forget that feeling again. Half way through or 15 cruises and 8 to 10 stops on Mexico RCCL staring giving out bottled water as you left the ship for those who want it. Those who never get sick in a country other than the USA great; enjoy your trips.

We have been vacationing in the Playa del Carmen area for 7 years. We just returned from a 9 days stay in a resort condo. We only use the bottled jug water in the condos for all drinking and teeth-brushing. However when we go to the restaurants every evening, one is eating vegetables, fruit, etc that is obviously washed in local water as well as food prepared with local water.

Twice in 7 years, I have developed Montezuma's Revenge, one of which was this trip. I develop a low grade fever along with it, but it certainly didn't stop me from doing anything. I bring Immodium, use it immediately as necessary and go on with my vacation.

I certainly will be bringing it on my cruise as well. You just never know....

Edited by BopRN

International travel has always had its many rewards and very few times its downers. This does not stop me from traveling just a word of precaution for some. Americans sometimes expect everything to go perfectly on a vacation and sometimes; very few times it does not. For millions of cruisers it is still an amazing vacation.

International travel has always had its many rewards and very few times its downers. This does not stop me from traveling just a word of precaution for some. Americans sometimes expect everything to go perfectly on a vacation and sometimes; very few times it does not. For millions of cruisers it is still an amazing vacation.

AND just the opposite....sometimes there are so many "warnings" that people are afraid to go and experience all that there is to experience for fear of something going wrong.