Azamazing Evenings - What's The Consensus?

TxnAquarian

We were there, too, and feel exactly the same. Sometimes you wonder just what people expect.

I have to say the same about our night in Cochin. I am looking forward to my Gibraltar experience in a few weeks time. But on board, on the day I will make my decisions about when I eat.

Also does everyone want large dinners every single night on their cruise, I see the Azamazing Evening as a possible light eat night - the kind I do need at some point on my cruise

We are looking forward to our evening in Ephesus - singing goats and all lol! ;)

You will enjoy the AzAmazing evening in Ephesus. We had a lovely evening there last week. Didn't hear any goats, however did hear a dog "singing" in the background.:D

I certainly realize Azamara has some growing pains with some of its Azamazing evenings, and I had doubts about the two scheduled on our B2B. Maybe the low expectations led to these evenings exceeding my expectations.

We were on the Journey B2B from Singapore to Athens (Apr/May). The Azamazing evening was in Cochin (not the first time held there) and it was magical. I'll attach a photo of how we were greeted leaving the ship. A two minute bus ride took us to the Taj Hotel, where the hotel really made the evening special. The ship was divided into two groups, and dinner was not a problem for either group. The close proximity of the event certainly helped out.

On the second segment, the evening was outside in front of the seaside castle in Paphos. It was a tender operation and again I had my doubts, but the ship handled the tendering each way very well, and the event was a two minute walk from the pier. Paphos has been designated the European Capital of Cultural for 2017, and because of this honor they have created a special musical event. We were their first public performance of the music which will be played for groups over the next several years. Fantastic musicians and two vocalists: a mezzo soprano and a tenor. Special

Thought some of you might be interested,

Bruce

<a href=DSC06723.jpg' alt='DSC06723.jpg'>

AzAmazing Evenings to me is a gamble that Azamara is willing to take to deliver an unforgettable experience. Even if Azamara was successful on one a repeat success at the same site cannot be guaranteed.

When they do one for the first time of course no guarantee can be given. When they get one that works it is truly something you will unlikely get on any other cruise.

In January my friend was on a BTB on the Quest and he said his was not that good, but on the second leg where we joined, we had a most unforgettable pleasant experience that I think was very difficult for Azamara to put together.

In Puerta Vallarta we were taken to see the Huichol Indians in the Sierra Madre Mountains. Transportation had to be by small vans at 10-14 persons/ van. Large busses couldn’t have made these turns. We had finger food that was plenty enough for a meal and margaritas and plenty of non – alcoholic drinks. The Indians were in native dress and posed for pictures. On the way into the mountains the cowboys were on horseback with flashlights at various places to help guide the vans on the proper path to the site. If it would have rained it could have been a problem, but it didn’t rain.

The show was great with colorful Indian dress capped off at the end with a very nice fireworks show. We were under a covered area and were not able to see the fireworks well, but I had brought my Image Stabilized binoculars and was able to see the show by looking at a gentleman’s I pad as he filmed it from and uncovered area.

Once Azamara makes arrangements for a number of guests they have laid out money and if people cancel I think they should pay a penalty.

Azamara does take a gamble in arranging these special AzAmazing evenings, but when they hit one good, it is something that one will never forget. I think it is worth the gamble and gets Azamara a cut above Silversea. I just happened to be the beneficiary of a successful gamble.

Cost: Nothing is free, but it is included in the cost of your cruise and one should not fail to take advantage of what has been paid for and experience a possible once in a lifetime adventure. Forget food, this is adventure.

I attended my first AzAmazing evening in Paphos in May. Considering it was an alternative put together after a change of itinerary cancelled the one in Safaga, Egypt I thoroughly enjoyed it. Lovely outdoor setting by the fort on the sea front it was easy to get to off the tender, well organised and with a very nice orchestra and a couple of singers with a Greek emphasis, but not too out there. I also attended one in Valletta. Excellent evening and a wonderful venue with lots of entertainment (magician, sword swallowers, singers) and some great finger food. I'm really glad I went to both of these events.

Phil

• 2 months later...

To help those deciding upon whether to participate in the Azamazing in St. Petersburg the following comments may be of use.

The programme itself, as seems to be the now usual practice, followed an early buffet in either Discoveries or Windows Café. Following the performance, sandwiches, soups and salads were available in Windows.

The Evening consisted of a short bus ride to the Mikhailovski Theatre, a red carpet welcome from the Russian Horn Capella Orchestra and the performance of the ballet "The Flames in Paris" set in the Revolutionary Period.

We are not able to provide a sophisticated critique, but we truly enjoyed the presentation: a large "corps" of dancers, strong performances by the solo artists, elaborate costumes, and a 50-60 piece professional orchestra. The ballet's theme was easily followed given the familiarity of this seminal event.

Logistics for the Evening were well-organized and competently executed.

The only criticism we can make is that this event occurs in the midst of the rather hectic attempts one makes to enjoy the sights of the city.

Highly, highly recommended.

I have to say we did enjoy our evening in Ephesus - transport was all ok and seemed well organised - well until everyone decided to try and get back at the same time despite the CD asking people to sit down after the classical music performance!

We were advised that there was an early buffet dinner in Discoveries and the normal buffet food in Windows AND there was food served in Windows AFTER the event too!

We had a bite to eat beforehand in Discoveries and the food was tasty and the sushi was utterly delicious! That was good as there was not a lot to eat in Ephesus when we got there on about bus no 8 but we did have our drinks - think a lot of the Ephesus cats were enjoying the cheese actually lol! :) We didn't have goats or dogs with our performance - we had cats walking on the set and listening to the music! Amused most of the audience no end as it happened a few times!

On our return to the Quest, we walked up the stairs to Windows and had a further guilt free snack so no shortage of food for us!

We're just back from three cruises--and three Azamazing Evenings--on Journey.

1. The 1940s party held at the restored Art Deco pier in Cherbourg was wonderful. A 25-piece swing band played big band music along with a group of three singing "sisters" a la the Andrews Sisters. In a second hall, a trio a la Benny Goodman also played. Actors dressed as bobby-soxers danced 1940s-style while other actors in period costumes evoked the European emigrants who came to the new world through Cherbourg.

French wines, cheeses, breads, pastries, and espresso were in abundance. The mayor of Cherbourg attended and Larry Pimentel hosted. The mayor gave a moving speech, as it was the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings and the start of French liberation. A 91-year-old WW II veteran who parachuted behind the German lines on D-Day was on-board and honored by both the mayor and Pimentel.

All in all, a truly Azamazing Evening.

2. In Bergen, the Evening was held in an area of old, restored wooden buildings (now shops and restaurants) right across from the pier. Actors in middle ages costumes roamed the area, performing period music, singing, etc. Desserts, cheeses, wine, and beer were served.

The host restaurant did not seem to understand what 500+ people really meant in the way of seating (plenty of food, though) and the entertainment wasn't as well coordinated as it could have been. This one needs some work, although the idea was good.

3. In Gdansk, we were bused to the Baltic Philharmonic Hall, a gorgeous, ultra-modern concert hall built into what was once a huge power plant, for an hour-long concert with an accomplished pianist and a very young but talented violinist. We were greeted with a sparkling wine. The concert was excellent, featuring a lot of Chopin's music. Transportation was very efficient, and we were back on the ship in plenty of time for sandwiches, etc., in Windows and fruit jubilee prepared and served by Heike and company in the Cabaret Lounge.

Edited by marinaro44

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone been to the Azamazing evening Flamenco in Barcelona? We are trying to decide between the event, and just enjoying the evening along LaRamblas. Thank you for any comments.

I am trying to make the sme decision as this is the evening offered on our November 6 Journey cruise.

Have experienced flamenco before in Barcelona (nothing to do with Azamara) and it wasn't great. So am considering having a nice dinner in the city instead.

The question -- what's the consensus? -- has been answered

There is no consensus. LOL

Some report fabulous experiences

Some report disasters

Some will never go any big bus event with hundreds of passengers (that's us)

Some love the quiet and solitude of the ship on those evenings

Some take advantage of the late stay and have dinner in town.

All good choices IMO

It's good to have choices and it appears that you can't base your decision on anyone else's experience because there is no consistency with these events.

I am trying to make the sme decision as this is the evening offered on our November 6 Journey cruise.

Have experienced flamenco before in Barcelona (nothing to do with Azamara) and it wasn't great. So am considering having a nice dinner in the city instead.

A year and a half ago, we had, perhaps, a similar evening in Barcelona. It entailed a visit to a rather large and "historic" family winery (we toured its vast storage cellars), an outside meal accompanied with wine and music from Spanish guitars, and an inside performance of Flamenco with tapas and more wine.

Assuming its the same location, since meals are now on board, I would expect tapas alone would be the present offering with free wine and Flamenco.

Although we heard a couple of complaints about the quality of the dancing, we were impressed, especially given that we were not in Andalusia. Apparently the dancers were from one of the top clubs in Barcelona, but, again, this wasn't Seville. :)

Given that we wouldn't have had this experience on our own, we were very pleased.

Apologies if the nature of the Evening has completely changed and this post is therefore irrelevant.

thank you Nordski and spursgirl for responding, and yes it is the Nov 6 cruise and the Azamazing evening will be:

Flamenco In The Heart Of Old Barcelona — 10-November, Barcelona

See a traditional flamenco show at Casa Llotja de Mar, a 15th century gem of Catalan Gothic architecture. The performance will be in stunning Contracts Hall, a medieval chamber of massive arches and columns reaching to a beamed, 45-foot ceiling. Enjoy canapés, desserts, Cava and wines as colorful flamenco dancers perform on several stages around the hall, sharing age-old stories of love and woe through songs, clapping, and much stamping of feet. Don’t miss this evening in old Barcelona!

I think the venue is located on the waterfront, so not too far away. So Nordski, even though the location has changed, it is helpful to hear your review of the flamenco part of the evening.

A year and a half ago, we had, perhaps, a similar evening in Barcelona. It entailed a visit to a rather large and "historic" family winery (we toured its vast storage cellars), an outside meal accompanied with wine and music from Spanish guitars, and an inside performance of Flamenco with tapas and more wine.

Assuming its the same location, since meals are now on board, I would expect tapas alone would be the present offering with free wine and Flamenco.

Although we heard a couple of complaints about the quality of the dancing, we were impressed, especially given that we were not in Andalusia. Apparently the dancers were from one of the top clubs in Barcelona, but, again, this wasn't Seville. :)

Given that we wouldn't have had this experience on our own, we were very pleased.

Apologies if the nature of the Evening has completely changed and this post is therefore irrelevant.

Thank you Nordski,

It sounds a little more interesting than I had anticipated.

Having been fortunate enough to visit Andalucia on many occasions and to have seen wonderful flamenco dancing I know that the troupe in Barcelona won't be of the same standard.

However, the evening could be fun. Maybe we'll have lunch in the city instead.

Thanks again for your helpful response.

We have just left Quest after our wonderful cruise July 27th - August 3rd Barcelona to Monaco.

Our Azamazing evening was in a chateau in Aix en Provence. It was about 40 mins on a coach but the transport arrangements worked like clockwork. V impressive. We wondered about eating as we had to be ready to board buses by 7pm. Neednt have worried, they put on a spectacular buffet in Discoveries from 5.30 onwards.

On arrival at Aix we were treated to fizz and canapés. Local music and dancing, lovely!

We were then invited into a large perspex marquee where we listened to a wonderful female opera singer, sorry should have noted her name. She sang, with breaks for an hour. Really enjoyable.

Before embarking our coaches home we were treated to more entertainment in the grounds of the castle..... Fire eaters, dancers.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable evening and I think Azamara have had some teething troubles with these events but its an experience and for me I would always give it a go!

I would have to go just out of curiosity.

Our azamazing evening was from Marseilles; a 45 minute trip by coach (which got lost both ways) to a rather boring/not that old chateau where we had champagne/canapes before an opera recital by a soprano singer.It filled some time and it was free and it was real champagne.Took a long time to get back on ship because of the numbers involved.

Anyone going to Barcelona, be careful of pic pockets. I was running a video and didn't know what was happening but stopped when I heard my wife screaming to get away. Little ladies with cardboard into the abdomen above a fanny pack and little hands go under the cardboard to unzip and grab what they can.

35JANPICKPOCKET.jpg

JANPICKPOCKET2.jpg

My wife is in the black jacket. The fellow in the red jacket was a friend walking with us.

Edited by scapel

Great photos. Best bet is to carry cash, credit/debit cards, IDs, etc., in a wallet pouch that hangs around your neck and is tucked under your shirt and whatever jacket/windbreaker/sweater you need for the weather. Fanny packs are sliced open at the bottom and the contents just fall out.

Excellent picture. This is exactly the technique that was applied against me in Barcelona over 10 years ago. Since I was alone at the time the three women pinned me against a wall and I needed to enlisti my backpack as a weapon to escape.

Just a warning, as methodology goes this is one of the more primitive ones and, as Marinaro44 points out, a neck or waist safe may be the way to go

Edited by nordski

• 2 weeks later...

If you are sailing with a stop in Liverpool keep your fingers crossed that they will have the evening at The Liverpool Anglican Cathedral. I've been on many, but this one was over the top. Take a look at the Azamara Facebook page for a taste of a fantastic evening topped off by fireworks thrown for "US" by the city of Liverpool upon our return to the ship. Bravo to all who took part in it's planning.

I would have to go just out of curiosity.

We too tried Flamenco in a club in Barcelona (on our own) and it was so different from what I expected. 2 couples not particularly good looking a very old and rough looking guitar player with a cool young dude also playing some guitar and mandolin (?). A middle aged singer female and a male slightly younger. The stage was the size of 2 postage stamps with a couple of spot lights. The singers and the instruments sat on kitchen like chairs in a row with no expression -- sort of in their own world. The dancers were close enough to see the pattern of the lady's stockings -- feared getting kicked. Audience of 40 or so very excited and into the performance and at certain times catcalling and whistleing. The food was awful and not much for the almost $100pp that we paid for the evening.

It was interesting and completely foreign to us. Where we expected lots of dancers and "show" the Spaniards were there for the singing and the "storyline" all of which we were not at all aware of. This was the real Flamenco experience -- we were the only non Spanish in the room and yes we did "look" out of place -- more dressed up for the evening and the crowd was more jeans and a shirt. But you know this is why we travel -- now we know somewhat what Flamenco night might be like and knew when we went to a "tourist show" that was exactly what we expected that probably the Spanish would not even recognize their own cultural offering:p

It amazes me how people are so negative about the Evenings. You go, you try it and you experience it. If it is not what you like -- go on back. Sometimes the experience might be the most wonderful thing you have done in a long time -- sometimes NOT. You can never tell when the amazing experience will come right in and bowl you over. You certainly can't tell from the brochure or listing and you certainly won't have a good time if you go in with a negative attitude and start complaining (read whining) that it did not meet your expectations. It's free, you have a choice, and you control your attitude. Go have a good time.