Azamazing Evenings - What's The Consensus?

TxnAquarian

We have been to two evenings and the logistics can be a bit of a nightmare for the cruise line. The first was at Ephesus and nearly all the passengers had to be bussed to the historical site, fortunately on a warm, dry evening. It requires lots of planning to get everyone there and back, particularly back when its dark!

It was well-planned and they had learnt lessons from the previous occasion. We thoroughly enjoyed it, particularly the atmospherics. We were among the last to arrive and it was a bit of a scrum trying to get refreshments and I am sure they will learn each time.

The second event at Taormina was a bit of a let down. Again loads of people transported in one hit, so we arrived late and had to rush our drinks. Then we had a meal in a big tent, rather like a wedding reception and missed out on several things, so we left disappointed.

I am sure that all crew will have learned from last season and things will improve.

I think the Monaco evening did start at 7 or 7:30. There was a buffet set up in the MDR for dinner before the event, as well as the usual buffet in Windows.

And after returning to the ship , there was a small buffet set up in the Looking Glass. At the Aquarium, they served wine, and small canapes and deserts.

If you are not interested in the Azamazing evening, it would be an ideal night to eat at Aqualina or Prime C.

i'm looking forward to seeing the aquarium, i dont know why i always worry about missing a meal when i gain 10 lbs on these cruises :)

qaravy4u.jpg

unyrevyr.jpg

We had a wonderful evening in a fort in Sevastopol. A lot of effort had clearly gone into it. There was finger food and some pretty horrid local wine, but the ambiance and surroundings far made up for this IMHO

Now given the current political issues we feel extremely lucky to have been able to see this side of a beautiful country and a charming people.

And sorry to those who don't like seeing cruise histories in the sign off.....:rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
Changed the spacing for the pictures since original post was too wide for most screens

i did the panama one twice. .he first time we were bus to a theatre that was lovely but it was too small fro the amount of people. also there was a huge lack of food. .thetravel time was an isssue due to some large rock type concert in town. .so round two was on baord and was made to look like madi gras on drugs.. i skipped it and had dinner in side that night.. it was to hot and just to busy for me.. irather bus to the thatre and have more foood thee. lost the point of s a special evening when it was on ship.

I love hearing about all of these shore experiences - good and bad. It's getting me excited to see what Azamara has in store for us. We're going into it knowing that it could be a bust, but it's all a part of traveling. It sounds like the crew really goes out of their way for the guests. I'm not willing to book another AZ cruise until we try our first one, but I have a feeling I might be looking to AZ for a 2016 itinerary =)

Michael

We very much enjoyed our evening at an outdoor theater on Hvar Island in Croatia last September. We efficiently were tendered and then led on a 15-minute walk across the harbor to the outdoor location on a hilltop, and the Croatian cellist playing against a backdrop of videos of Croatian tourist board locales was very entertaining.

However, the only meal service provided that evening onboard was a buffet in the main dining room, and the food was tasteless and by far the worst we had on our cruise, with little selection and all overcooked.

We very much enjoyed our evening at an outdoor theater on Hvar Island in Croatia last September. We efficiently were tendered and then led on a 15-minute walk across the harbor to the outdoor location on a hilltop, and the Croatian cellist playing against a backdrop of videos of Croatian tourist board locales was very entertaining.

However, the only meal service provided that evening onboard was a buffet in the main dining room, and the food was tasteless and by far the worst we had on our cruise, with little selection and all overcooked.

I was thee. it was one of the best ones this summer.. i walked to the venue adn back on mmy own enjoying the evening.. the cellist was Ana rucner and I think she is doing the event again. .this one one of hte few places that enough foood and wine adn istopped ofr ice cream on the way back to the ship. the Windos buffet always had food so i ma surprised if it was not open that night.. but i know it was open after the event.

Our event was changed in St Maarten on the Quest New Year's cruise from a botanical garden to the pier. We thought it was a less than stellar evening but made no official complaint. I guess Azamara agreed with us because we received a FCC when we returned home for 10% of our cruise cost to be used by Jan 2015.

Ours in India was lovely, held at the Taj hotel that had just hosted Prince Charles' birthday celebration.

We missed the one in Bangkok because we were slightly late returning from the land excursion to Angkor Wat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We only experienced one Azamazing Evening - in Saigon. Most of the people waiting for the buses to go to the venue expressed fatigue - they were (as were we!) too tired to go out after a day of sight seeing & would have begged off had it not been for the penalty that would have been charged to their accounts. And off we went in a platoon of buses....

The event was fine - more Southeast Asian dancing - but we were frankly exhausted from sightseeing & wished we could have had a credit for this 'free' evening.

I would not be in favor of continuing the Azamazing Evenings, based on this experience.

no one says you have to go. you have until the night before to cancel. I decided to go at the last minutes and i had a good time.. i really do not understadn why they want to charge so much if you do not go as all the are serving these days is wine adn sweets.. i got real food at soem events and a sit down dinner.. seems outside of Europe had to have a great one.. be intersting what they do in Asia next winter.

I enjoyed the evening on the Yorktown (US Navy ship from WW II) in Charleston last year. The event was by no means life changing, but the event was well organized, and it was a nice evening away from the ship for a while.

I agree with some of the other posts that if the bus ride is too long (say over one hour), then the venue should be reconsidered.

John

I cannot believe that there are people out there who criticize and find fault with these excellent freebies, or are afraid they might miss a meal on board. I attended the Ephesus evening last year, wonderful concert in the amphitheatre, well organised, and I look forward to my next one in Capri.

I cannot believe that there are people out there who criticize and find fault with these excellent freebies, or are afraid they might miss a meal on board. I attended the Ephesus evening last year, wonderful concert in the amphitheatre, well organised, and I look forward to my next one in Capri.

People are finding fault because there have been some serious faults that were not hard to find. There have been food availability problems as well, so people want to know that they can eat onboard either before or after the evening. With this kind of feedback, Azamara can fine tune these programs so that they can be modified or changed. Shipboard personnel have been doing thorough evaluations of each program and recommending changes as necessary.

These are not freebies. The base price was increased to cover this extra and the free drinks. In any case when a cruise line of a certain standing includes anything, it will rightly be judged based on the reputation, not on whether or not its perceived to be free.

If you take the trouble to read through the thread you will see that some have been to two or more evenings and have had vastly different experiences. It seems to be pot luck.

Edited by English Tim
Addition

The shoreside aspects of our Azamazing Evening in Monaco were very enjoyable. Guests were bussed to the Oceanographic Museum as dusk was falling and it was very atmospheric arriving with lights twinkling outside and performers on stilts dressed as sea creatures pirouetting about. Once inside this beautiful building guests were free to wander around the aquarium (which had many interesting displays) or gather in the main reception rooms listening to music and being served wine and dessert canapes (all fruit based - much to the disappointment of my chocoholic companion!). Two stunningly beautiful and talented female violinists played atop podiums on the ground floor while a harpist played beautifully on the upper floor. Apart from the violinists, the other highlight of my evening was shark petting! Not something that I ever thought I'd do but it was fantastic. I hasten to add that they were baby sharks and they were very cute and entertaining in their own way.

The organisation of the event could not be faulted. It felt like there were almost as many Museum staff as guests at the event and they were all very gracious. The only disappointing aspects of the evening occurred onboard the ship. The buffet dinner offered beforehand in Discoveries was very limited in scope and not at all tasty - the most disappointing food I had on the whole cruise. There was no food available on our return to the ship at 10.30 pm or thereabouts, apart from Room Service which was understandably very busy. I think Management onboard should have had the foresight to realise that people would be hungry on returning to the ship and extended the opening hours in Windows accordingly. Naturally one can always afford to skip a meal on a cruise ship but this lack of care for guests did strike a discordant note on an otherwise lovely evening.

Eloise

The only disappointing aspects of the evening occurred onboard the ship. The buffet dinner offered beforehand in Discoveries was very limited in scope and not at all tasty - the most disappointing food I had on the whole cruise. There was no food available on our return to the ship at 10.30 pm or thereabouts, apart from Room Service which was understandably very busy.

Eloise

We had the same experience on Quest in September.

We had the same experience on Quest in September.

pam

i am very :confused: about this as iwent twice to Windows in 6 weeks on ship. the ight yuo were there i skipped dinner. had a drink in cabin. .had ice cream afterwards. .thought there was always food on the ship afterwards.

We were also on the Monaco Azamazing night cruise, 22 april to 30th. Our deck (8) was a first call at 7pm. We knew we would be first off so we ate a light meal at the pool grill about 5.30. Other than possibly eating a few treats at the museum we did not expect to eat again that evening.

As it turned out the early decks missed the treats and wine anyway, they had not been set up when we arrived. After we had roamed around everywhere and spent some beautiful time on the roof terrace watching Monaco sparkle, we returned downstairs and found a tray with one desert left and a man with some cheese and grapes on sticks non of which tempted us.

We had a lovely evening and left to return to the ship at about 9.15pm. It never occurred to us to look for food, very tired so had a relaxing drink and retired for the night. Ironically we (well me) awoke at 1.30am and we then went and got some nice biscuits (for some reason I preferred the dry, salted, wholemeal crackers to the home made cookies) and hot chocolate from windows.

It all worked very well and was an experience to remember, the joy is not having to worry about food because there is room service, even with a little wait or cookies and drinks available in various places throughout the ship if you get peckish.

Yvonne

The OP expressed a distaste for organized shore excursions & so the Azamazing Evenings would seem to be a non starter for him no matter what the excursion might be.

As for us, we found that we were tired after a day of touring & did not really want to be subjected to organized fun after dark, by the busload. The good thing is that if you are booked in a suite, you get in & out first.....

We were on the recent Quest cruise which had the evening in Sorrento. We chose to have an early dinner in Windows cafe, feeling that a proper buffet area is better set up to provide just that, rather than a buffet in Discoveries. It was not crowded and the food was very good.

According to Pursuits there was also a late supper up there after the evening out.

I've only been on two Evenings, the first Quest Azamazing Evening in Gibralter and the second just this month in Sorrento. I thought they were great both in the venue and entertainment and also in the logistics of transporting hundreds of passengers from the ship to the place. Especially in Sorrento where we all had to be tendered to port; driven up from the port to a transfer point in a small bus; and then driven to the Hilton grounds in a large bus for the wonderful food and entertainment. All this within about 45 minutes from the time the first passengers left the ship until the last ones left. I certainly was not disappointed with the evening nor were the other passengers seated at our table. They were all first-time Azamara cruisers and all said that if this was indicative of special Evenings, they would book Azamara again for sure.

Is this the Azamazing evening you're talking about? We're signed up for this one.

Traditions Of Old Naples — 28-September, Sorrento

The Festival of Piedigrotta began in Naples in the 1800s, and gave rise to a songwriting contest that has produced some big hits. Tonight you’re our guest at a Piedigrotta at Agrumeto Gardens, with singers, actors and musicians bringing old Naples to life as they impersonate merchants, photographers and an acrobatic pizza maker. There will be singing, of course, plus cocktails and Neapolitan appetizers. You could also play a game of three cards, or sit for a daguerreotype or caricature.

We attended the Tokyo evening this year on the Journey it was fantastic! Loved it and love the concept. But some people "winged"

about that on the night...they just cant be satisfied. On the Quest for the 4th July sailing 2015 and cant wait to see where the evening will be...hoping for Edinburgh Castle!!!!!:eek:

We attended the Tokyo evening this year on the Journey it was fantastic! Loved it and love the concept. But some people "winged" about that on the night...they just cant be satisfied. :eek:
We were there, too, and feel exactly the same. Sometimes you wonder just what people expect.