What to do at Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan

txjudy54

We will be at Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan on June 1st and was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on what to do. We really don't want to lay on the beach. We like to get out and see/explore/snorkle. We will be cruising on the Carnival Magic. Does anyone suggest getting off the boat and making arrangements with someone on the street? We've done snorkling tours like that in Cozumel and it worked out OK. TIA:)

We will be at Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan on June 1st and was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on what to do. We really don't want to lay on the beach. We like to get out and see/explore/snorkle. We will be cruising on the Carnival Magic. Does anyone suggest getting off the boat and making arrangements with someone on the street? We've done snorkling tours like that in Cozumel and it worked out OK. TIA:)

Contact Victor Bodden, one of the oldest and most reputable tour companys on the island. His can provide a driver for the day that will tour you around the island and wait while you explore.

We shared a taxi (4 people, all day) to west bay beach where we snorkeled and ate and had a wonderful day. The taxi was $20pp for all day.

Disclaimer we have done this several times as Roatan is our fav. port.

The beach at west bay is natural. The beach at mahogany bay had a lot of help from Carnival's bulldozer!

Edited by thinfool

Tabyana Beach has very good snorkeling plus other facilities (food, drinks, etc.) . Any taxi driver will take you there.

Carnival offers an excursion that is a combo Canopy & Tabyana Beach which might be of interest to you.

LuLu

~~~

As stated above we also love Victor Bodden. Very reliable and cheap this is what we do

http://boddentours.com/bestofroatan.htm#HMB

His tour guides cater to what YOU want and like and have all day to do it without being rushed

Tabyana Beach has very good snorkeling plus other facilities (food, drinks, etc.) . Any taxi driver will take you there.

Carnival offers an excursion that is a combo Canopy & Tabyana Beach which might be of interest to you.

LuLu

~~~

We did this last year and loved, loved, LOVED it!! You start at the top of a mountain and have ,I believe, 13 ziplines. At the end you are on a beach. They then transport you to Tabayna, where you can snorkel on your own. They have chairs there, bar and food. (Additional) the carnival buses go back regularly, so you can head back when you want.

We shared a taxi (4 people, all day) to west bay beach where we snorkeled and ate and had a wonderful day. The taxi was $20pp for all day.

Disclaimer we have done this several times as Roatan is our fav. port.

The beach at west bay is natural. The beach at mahogany bay had a lot of help from Carnival's bulldozer!

The beach and restaurant was built by a local business man and was called Coral Bay and a few years latter Carnival built the pier and shopping center.

LuLu

~~~

We did this excursion also and loved it. :)

I use Christopher Tours. They are a bit more personal then Victor Bodden and do all the same stuff they do. They will customize whatever you want to do and you can even have a private driver.

Everytime we have used Victor we have always had a private driver(tour guide) for our party. Just curious what do you mean by more personal than Victor ? I mean you cant get much more personal than me , my wife and friends /family doing exactly what we want(and tell him what we would like to do ) for the entire day with our own guide in our own air conditioned van cruising around Roatan sight seeing, going shopping ,eating great food,hitting West bay beach to snorkel and looking around the West end

We used Juan Carlos on our last trip in January. He caters to what we like to do and is very personable. Check out his web site. On a prior trip, we caught a cab at the cruise terminal for $20/person for the day. That was fun too. Both times we did a zipline (at two different places), local food and shopping, and some beach time. It is a beautiful island with lots to experience. Have a fun trip.

I can tell you how it was for us with Christopher.The driver stuck to us like glue. He even sat down at the same table with us at a restaurant. I really didn't know what to do, so I went ahead and paid for his $18 lunch. To top it off, when we first started out it was raining and he asked me for $10 for a bad wiper blade.The car door handles would not open from the outside for us..We never had any of this with Victor. We only used Christopher because he said he could take us to Camp Bay , and he said because it rained we could not go. Boy did I learn a lesson..No mas Christopher para este gringo.:mad:

Everytime we have used Victor we have always had a private driver(tour guide) for our party. Just curious what do you mean by more personal than Victor ? I mean you cant get much more personal than me , my wife and friends /family doing exactly what we want(and tell him what we would like to do ) for the entire day with our own guide in our own air conditioned van cruising around Roatan sight seeing, going shopping ,eating great food,hitting West bay beach to snorkel and looking around the West end
Edited by overthehillcruiser

Another BIG vote for Victor Boden private tours !!!! You can go zip lining and then snorkeling (which was amazing!!). Stay away from all the big crowds and the typical boat tours, really see the beauty of Rotan via private tour. There is a lot of info on Victor Boden Tours on Ports of Call Threads!!!! Have fun, it is beautiful there!!!! One of my favorite ports ever!

Just whatever you do,

PLEASE get away from the fake, Carnival creation that is Mahogany Bay and get out and see the gorgeous island and incredible NATURAL beaches.

Roatan is just too beautiful to be missed staying at the manmade Mahogany Bay.

Just whatever you do,

PLEASE get away from the fake, Carnival creation that is Mahogany Bay and get out and see the gorgeous island and incredible NATURAL beaches.

Roatan is just too beautiful to be missed staying at the manmade Mahogany Bay.

I completely agree!!

I can tell you how it was for us with Christopher.The driver stuck to us like glue. He even sat down at the same table with us at a restaurant. I really didn't know what to do, so I went ahead and paid for his $18 lunch. To top it off, when we first started out it was raining and he asked me for $10 for a bad wiper blade.The car door handles would not open from the outside for us..We never had any of this with Victor. We only used Christopher because he said he could take us to Camp Bay , and he said because it rained we could not go. Boy did I learn a lesson..No mas Christopher para este gringo.:mad:

Sorry you didn't have luck. We had an amazing driver who took care of us like family. He didn't sit with us but was always around if we needed him. He kept the annoying vendors away. Showed my kids cool things and even bought them a coconut to try. Before we left the beach he even went out to the car and cooled it off while we changed.

My Mom and MIL on 2 separate trips also received amazing service and speak highly of them.

So yes I do think they are amazing. They have made our visits bucket list fun. I think you can have a bad experience with any co and it all depends on who you get stuck with for the day.

I will continue to suggest them just as others suggest other co. It is up to the consumer to decide who they want to go with and do their research.

We can all agree though to not stay by the ship. The island is to great to not see.

Mahogany Bay is fine if you want sun, swimming and no fuss. The chair lift is great fun for all ages and offers a cool view while transporting you to/from the beach. Walking is fine, too. Shopping is acceptable and there is even a simple zip line on site. Yes it's manufactured, but attitude is everything. I don't see any reason to venture out unless you want to escape the bigger crowds and snorkel in a better location since this area is mostly grass with some very small coral at the far end past the cabanas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

If you want to get out of the tourist man-made beach of Mahogany bay and do some awesome snorkeling...I suggest Maya Key. It's a private island and it's beautiful there. They have several different things to do while there and the snorkeling is simply amazing!!!! You walk right down the dock and in to the water and it's right there!! I have a complete review with TONS of pictures included. We love this place. Also, the ONLY way to book this place now is by using your cruise ship (no matter which cruise line you are coming in on). But, it's well worth it. :)

If you want to get out of the tourist man-made beach of Mahogany bay and do some awesome snorkeling...I suggest Maya Key. It's a private island and it's beautiful there. They have several different things to do while there and the snorkeling is simply amazing!!!! You walk right down the dock and in to the water and it's right there!! I have a complete review with TONS of pictures included. We love this place. Also, the ONLY way to book this place now is by using your cruise ship (no matter which cruise line you are coming in on). But, it's well worth it. :)

This is a video (not mine) of West bay beach in Roatan. The best snorkeling I have ever done and all in about 4 to 5 feet of water right off the beach.Incredible !!