Can I take this in my carry on?

SadieN

Can I take a can (not jar) of olives in my carry on? Yes, they are special olives and I don't want to check a bag just for them.

I'm thinking yes it can't be opened without an opener but there is that liquid in there.

TIA

Can I take a can (not jar) of olives in my carry on? Yes, they are special olives and I don't want to check a bag just for them.

I'm thinking yes it can't be opened without an opener but there is that liquid in there.

TIA

I would say no if the total volume is more than 100 ml or 3.4 ounces.

From 'My TSA' app:

"Canned goods (liquid inside)"

"!! Special instructions

There are some items that are not on the prohibited list but because of how they appear on Xray, they could require extra screening that might result in the item not being allowed through the checkpoint."

So it'd be the luck of the draw if your TSA screener feels generous ...

Marmelade has a totally different consistence than olives...

If you are traveling domestic it should be ok to carry olives. But beware when traveling international you do not violate any import laws regarding foods.

What bears me some concerns is that the jar will likely contain more than 100ml/4oz of liquid. What you can do is divide them into seperate smaller containers of the max. allowance. But is it worth going through all the effort for some olives (don't get me wrong, I'm a big olive fan as well ;-) )

But better safe than sorry, so you might want to ask TSA on social media or send them an email with this question.

Edited by headhunterke

TIA

It's not the can that's the issue, it's the liquid in the can. This one will probably depend on the particular agent that day. If the olives are that special and you are going to be upset if they get taken, pay the fee to check your bag. Presumably it would not have to be checked on the return because the olives will be gone, right?

Thanks for the discussion!!! :)

We were able to fly with small cans of salmon (packed with liquid). Those were over the 100ml limit.

Flying SW (one way) so no problem with bag fees (or the return) just don't want to wait for luggage.

On other airlines it would be cheaper to ship them than to get them on the plane.

Personally, I wouldn't try it unless I was willing to "voluntarily surrender" those olives. You may luck out and get a TSA clerk that actually understands that, just because the bottle label says 12 oz, there isn't truly 12 oz of liquid in there. But, my experiences would say that would be a fluke - most TSA clerks I've encountered would just see that "12 oz" and dispose of the olives in their TSA employee lounge at lunch time…

TSA determination of what is a liquid is solely the discretion of the particular TSA clerk you draw - anecdotal info shows that even cupcake icing is sometimes a liquid (the infamous cupcakes in a mason jar), as is peanut butter (creamy, not chunky)…

From the TSA website, found in milliseconds thanks to Google:

Liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes must be 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less per container; must be in 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin.

Signage in the security area at airports say that if it "spreads, pours, or smears" it's considered a liquid.

Also keep in mind that even if you subdivide the olives into smaller containers, it all has to fit in a 1-quart bag and will reduce the amount of toiletries and other liquids in your allowance.

If you're picky enough about your olives that you want to take your own on the ship, why not check for good delis in your departure city and just pick up another can or jar before boarding? If they are totally unavailable to buy there and you absolutely must have them, mail them to the main post office marked Poste Restante/General Delivery c/o yourself for collection.